This is going to be painful

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited November 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well after almost two years of recording the full length (8 songs in the can), it looks like instead of just picking the next group of 3 to 4 songs to track, we are going to take a month or so rehearsing all the songs left on the board, than picking the next group of songs. Tonight could be extremely painful (not just on the ears and fingers!) in the relearning and headache department! Should be interesting to see how this group of songs change again during this session.

And yes it's taken us two years to record 8 tracks. 1 of which is going to be thrown away and started completely over. For those of you who don't know the history of this recording project, it's a three piece. We all have full time jobs + and family's etc... And we all are in different separate music projects. If we are lucky we get 10 to 12 hours a month to work on this project.
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I feel your pain. It's hard for everyone to find the time to compete a project.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • I'd love to start a recording studio that works exclusively as a Daytrotter-style production studio. It's getting so easy for bands to work on an album indefinitely. I can appreciate the time constraints your group is working thru, but I also regret that bands and artists take so long to do a record, overwork everything, and end up with an album that lacks energy and cohesiveness.

Sorry to vent on your thread, dude, it's just my own neuroses.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'd love to start a recording studio that works exclusively as a Daytrotter-style production studio. It's getting so easy for bands to work on an album indefinitely. I can appreciate the time constraints your group is working thru, but I also regret that bands and artists take so long to do a record, overwork everything, and end up with an album that lacks energy and cohesiveness.

Daytrotter?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Daytrotter?

http://www.daytrotter.com/

Set up mics, record live to stereo tape, no overdubs, all in one day.

It puts the emphasis on the performance, capturing a band at that moment performing those songs. It tends to make for more emotion-based recordings, since there are no overdubs and no studio trickery. It's just a band, warts and all, playing their songs. If you've ever spent more than a year working on an album, you can understand the appeal.
  • Ah ok.. And yeah that makes sense. One of my favourite bands just recorded their EP at the house. Sounds great, didn't take them long. Not as 'live' but from what I've heard, it was done pretty quickly. Seems like it would be fun.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

Go the extra step of making it a all analog studio, and I'd be completely game for it....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Daytrotter?

http://www.daytrotter.com/

Set up mics, record live to stereo tape, no overdubs, all in one day.

It puts the emphasis on the performance, capturing a band at that moment performing those songs. It tends to make for more emotion-based recordings, since there are no overdubs and no studio trickery. It's just a band, warts and all, playing their songs. If you've ever spent more than a year working on an album, you can understand the appeal.

To continue on this topic, that style of recording is not necessarily for every band or recording group. Although I'd love to be in some type of band that does this. It would be nice to just worry about bass, and bass only for sure!

Our stuff is more of a recording project and not a "Band". It started as two of us who got fed up trying to form a band, and were continually frustrated with the inability to find members that "Fit". So we said screw it and recorded a EP. We brought in friends to lend a hand on drums, vocals guitars etc as needed. No deadlines no hurry period. It just happened that we added a guy for the latest sessions.

I always wanted to play bass on a hip hop influenced live band scenerio... that would be perfect for day trotter...

• To continue on this topic, that style of recording is not necessarily for every band or recording group. Although I'd love to be in some type of band that does this. It would be nice to just worry about bass, and bass only for sure!

Our stuff is more of a recording project and not a "Band". It started as two of us who got fed up trying to form a band, and were continually frustrated with the inability to find members that "Fit". So we said screw it and recorded a EP. We brought in friends to lend a hand on drums, vocals guitars etc as needed. No deadlines no hurry period. It just happened that we added a guy for the latest sessions.

I always wanted to play bass on a hip hop influenced live band scenerio... that would be perfect for day trotter...

I understand that scenario entirely, I've done projects where me and another guy recorded everything, making it like there was a 6-piece band (drums, bass, 2 guitars, keys and vocals). You can definitely do things that way, if you are disciplined and can capture vibe by multi-tracking. But if you get into that groove with the other players' tracks, then it's totally do-able.