roommates?

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
so, I'm now in my 30s and I have not lived with roommates since college. But, having been laid off and not having any progress getting a new job, I'm going to have to. My place is technically a two-bedroom (but it doesn't cost much more than one-bedroom in this area) so I figure the best idea is to look for someone to move in here...but I am REALLY uncomfortable with this whole living with a stranger thing. How do you vet roommates? How do you know if a person is right to invite into your home after just a brief meeting? To me living with someone is just such a big deal. I've been living here for a while and it's my home, you know? What's your advice?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i tried it once, nitemare, one year, dont do it. just my opinion
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    i tried it once, nitemare, one year, dont do it. just my opinion

there's just no way I can afford to live alone anymore.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    maybe you'll get lucky. it's possible.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Definitley not something I ever want to have to do again, but sometimes the need outweighs the want. So I would have a checklist of what you expect from a housemate. This should give you a few ideas to run from...

http://www.umoch.org/pdfs/Choosing%20a%20Housemate%20Checklist.pdf

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/real-estate/moving-house/share-accommodation

And if you can, have a friend sit with you when you meet the applicants see if they pick up anything you don't or even confirm feelings you get from people.

Good Luck
    Definitley not something I ever want to have to do again, but sometimes the need outweighs the want. So I would have a checklist of what you expect from a housemate. This should give you a few ideas to run from...

http://www.umoch.org/pdfs/Choosing%20a%20Housemate%20Checklist.pdf

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/real-estate/moving-house/share-accommodation

And if you can, have a friend sit with you when you meet the applicants see if they pick up anything you don't or even confirm feelings you get from people.

Good Luck

I know I thought I had passed that point in my life...I swear I think I am going backwards.

Thanks, I think it is a good idea to have someone here to meet them too...have to figure out who I could ask to do that...
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Im still in college... but I might be able to offer some insight.

I don't know how to attract potential roommates, but once you do, don't have a "meeting" with them. Go out for food, to a bar, etc. If you are gonna live with them, you should meet over an activity. Yes you will need to talk details and be serious with them, but you don't want it to be an awkward interview.

Ask them a lot of question and set strict rules.
    Daily routines, hobbies, music, type of work, relationship status, pets, what they will contribute to the house/apartment, food, living style, bedtime, what time they like to set the air conditioner, etc.

If they have some unfavorable qualities in your eyes, don't let them move in.

Also, sign a roommate agreement, not just a lease. Yes, you need a written agreement about the money aspect, but also set some rules as to how you want to live. Specifically spell out everything that you wouldn't want to happen.

What about living with a friend?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    FrankieG wrote:

What about living with a friend?

well I don't know that many people in this city to begin with, but honestly, once you reach a certain age the number of friends looking for roommates significantly decreases, in my case to 0.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'd rather not have roommates, but if I lost my job, it would be better than living with my parents. Unemployment or a crappy retail job would get you by at least until you found something better.

I wonder if a landlord would let you out of a lease if you lost your job? There's no way, I'd want to live on my own running my savings dry. I have a cushion, but with no work, after 6 months I'd be out of money.

I think if you try hard enough, a job will come. The key is networking. As much as Facebook can suck, having a lifetime of friends and connections is bound to help.

People talk about how bad the economy is and how hard it is to find a job, but many of these people are sitting at home collecting unemployment, waiting for the economy to get better.. or they're not willing to settle for something less to get by.. I have plenty of friends who recently got laid off and found something with in a month. A few who haven't, but they've had bad luck or just aren't motivated enough.

A bit off subject now, but the government is not going to fix the economy. We are.
    I'd rather not have roommates, but if I lost my job, it would be better than living with my parents. Unemployment or a crappy retail job would get you by at least until you found something better.

I wonder if a landlord would let you out of a lease if you lost your job? There's no way, I'd want to live on my own running my savings dry. I have a cushion, but with no work, after 6 months I'd be out of money.

I think if you try hard enough, a job will come. The key is networking. As much as Facebook can suck, having a lifetime of friends and connections is bound to help.

People talk about how bad the economy is and how hard it is to find a job, but many of these people are sitting at home collecting unemployment, waiting for the economy to get better.. or they're not willing to settle for something less to get by.. I have plenty of friends who recently got laid off and found something with in a month. A few who haven't, but they've had bad luck or just aren't motivated enough.

A bit off subject now, but the government is not going to fix the economy. We are.

oh no I'm in the process of getting of a part-time job, and I am collecting unemployment, but it's not enough for rent on my own and my other expenses. I've always taken the first full-time job I could get, but I'm hoping not to do that this time. I'm at a point in my career that I really want to find something that's right for me, and I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. Honestly the idea of moving back in with my parents has always horrified me, but at this point I'm not even sure it's an option anymore!

I think it depends on the landlord in terms of letting you out of your lease. I'm sure mine would, given proper notice. I'm not planning on moving though, which is why I'm wondering what the best way to vet roommates is. Has anyone met up with potential roommates more than once before agreeing to live together?