did you see Shutter Island? (spoilers)

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I checked it out of the library. I ordered it online and I actually forgot about it, I was on the waiting list for 4 months I believe.

We got home from a wedding last weekend, I was really tired, and tried to watch it. I fell asleep 3x.

I had to return it to the library the next day.

If you saw it, did you like it? I bought the book too but I have not read it yet. I didn't like the movie. I didn't watch all of it.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    p.s.

and SI is my kind of movie. I was surprised I did not like it.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I checked it out of the library. I ordered it online and I actually forgot about it, I was on the waiting list for 4 months I believe.

We got home from a wedding last weekend, I was really tired, and tried to watch it. I fell asleep 3x.

I had to return it to the library the next day.

If you saw it, did you like it? I bought the book too but I have not read it yet. I didn't like the movie. I didn't watch all of it.

I didn't think it was great but i thought it was still pretty good!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • you dont get to form opinions about movies that you do not complete... particularly when the ending is the only pay off... the campy acting only makes sense if you stick it out

i thought it was good the first time... no need to watch it again
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    yes, I enjoyed the movie, even after reading the book

definitly read the book
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I liked the book better, but I usually do.

And I strongly dislike fake Boston accents! And that wasn't even filmed here! (can't insert angry simile via iPhone app but you get the picture)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • I walked iut of the movie theater like what the fuck!!! I didn't know what was going on.

Can anybody tell me if he was crazy or not??? Thanks
    Paul D.
  • dugangsxr wrote:
    I walked iut of the movie theater like what the fuck!!! I didn't know what was going on.

Yeah he was.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    dugangsxr wrote:
    I walked iut of the movie theater like what the fuck!!! I didn't know what was going on.

after i turned it off, i looked it up on wikipedia.org many movies have spoilers on there.
    I did not understand all his flashbacks, how was the war flash backs relevant? And I wasn't sure about his wife in his dreams. I thought her ghost was telling him something, when he had really killed her.

you guys need to get the old movie that mickey rourke was in called "angel heart." it was so creepy at the end, i nearly cried along with mickey rourke's character.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    no
    www.myspace.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,852
    i was disappointed with the movie
    the ending was just too convenient
    it was all just a dream............weak sauce
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    If you watch it twice it makes more sense. He was a patient at the hospital. They were going through the roll-playing to try to "cure" him by getting him to remember that he killed his wife because she drowned their children.

He really had been a marshal. The dark-haired man he "met" on the ferry was his doctor. The people at the hospital all knew it was a roll-playing game because they had done it for him before.

The end was saying that he preferred to believe he was still an agent (and a good man) rather than remember that he had killed his wife and she had killed their children.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    justam wrote:
    If you watch it twice it makes more sense. He was a patient at the hospital. They were going through the roll-playing to try to "cure" him by getting him to remember that he killed his wife because she drowned their children.

He really had been a marshal. The dark-haired man he "met" on the ferry was his doctor. The people at the hospital all knew it was a roll-playing game because they had done it for him before.

The end was saying that he preferred to believe he was still an agent (and a good man) rather than remember that he had killed his wife and she had killed their children.

very good synopsis
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I liked it a lot. I've been thinking about picking it up on blu-ray. I could see watching it multiple times. It's very atmospheric and has a lot going on.
    justam wrote:
    The ferry part is part of what makes it totally unbelievable-no way they let a convicted, insane murderer on a public ferry.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Get_Right wrote:
    justam wrote:
    The ferry part is part of what makes it totally unbelievable-no way they let a convicted, insane murderer on a public ferry.
    He killed his wife because she murdered their children. I wouldn't consider him a threat to the general public.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Get_Right wrote:
    justam wrote:

You're missing the clue that this was supposed to be a facility where the doctors were trying to use experimental ways to help heal the mentally ill. The idea was that this was supposed to be a humane way to help him remember.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Get_Right wrote:
    justam wrote:
    He killed his wife because she murdered their children. I wouldn't consider him a threat to the general public.
    but that was the place where only the most insane and dangerous criminals go
    justam wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    justam wrote:

You're missing the clue that this was supposed to be a facility where the doctors were trying to use experimental ways to help heal the mentally ill. The idea was that this was supposed to be a humane way to help him remember.
    I get it. It just didnt fly for me.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I saw it and I liked it. Even though in the middle i was completely lost
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • I loved the movie :D

Didn't realise it was a book though... will have to check that out :think:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    And I strongly dislike fake Boston accents! And that wasn't even filmed here! (can't insert angry simile via iPhone app but you get the picture)
    Actually it was filmed locally.
    Wiki has most of the locations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_Island_(film)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Get_Right wrote:
    justam wrote:

Clearly you haven't ever taken public transportation here in Boston.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

Clearly you haven't ever taken public transportation here in Boston.
    because the T stops running at like 6 pm ;)