How Not To Drive, or: Why Be Such An Ass?

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So there I am earlier this evening, puttering along in the mighty Honda Element, heading to agility training with Tessie. I'm listening to the Boston boot, "In My Tree" and enjoying the fact that there isn't much traffic. Merge on to the highway, when suddenly I become aware of something beside me. I glance to my left, and literally inches away from my is the side of an SUV. I mean, very few inches. Perfectly parallel to me, in the same lane. Next thing I know, the SUV is making contact with the side of my car, pushing me out of the lane and onto the shoulder of the road.

WTF?!? I stayed calm, the passenger side wheels went up on either curbing or the shoulder _ bumpitybumpbump _ and I'm acutely aware that on the other side of the jersey barrier is a drop down to a salt marsh.

I'm thinking, the mighty Honda Element likely will not float.

After getting me entirely out of the lane and forcing me to nearly sideswipe the jersey barrier, the other driver swerves back to the left and takes off up the highway.

I keep driving, get close enough to get the plate, pull over at the next well-lit stop, and call the state police.

A very nice trooper responds. (As an aside, there is something about those uniforms and especially the boots that is just plain yummy. Even though he was about 12. Incredibly polite and appropriately concerned.) Unfortunately, the license number I got didn't come back as a registered vehicle :( so there isn't much to go on. I think I might have transposed the numbers.

A few scrapes to the Mighty Honda Element. I'm fine. Puppy was fine. Boston boot was fine.

Really, what was the point of that? Run the woman driving the puttering shoebox into the marsh for no apparent reason? Maybe he took offense at my PJ Music Designs bumper sticker, or the one that says, "Your Honor Student is a Pawn in my Labrador Retriever's World Domination Plot."

:roll:
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    edited November 2010
    That sucks :oops: I would have put on Lukin, flipped him off and yell to him to go to hell. I think you handled the situation way better then that. ;)
    Post edited by thefixer9 on
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    So there I am earlier this evening, puttering along in the mighty Honda Element, heading to agility training with Tessie. I'm listening to the Boston boot, "In My Tree" and enjoying the fact that there isn't much traffic. Merge on to the highway, when suddenly I become aware of something beside me. I glance to my left, and literally inches away from my is the side of an SUV. I mean, very few inches. Perfectly parallel to me, in the same lane. Next thing I know, the SUV is making contact with the side of my car, pushing me out of the lane and onto the shoulder of the road.

WTF?!? I stayed calm, the passenger side wheels went up on either curbing or the shoulder _ bumpitybumpbump _ and I'm acutely aware that on the other side of the jersey barrier is a drop down to a salt marsh.

After getting me entirely out of the lane and forcing me to nearly sideswipe the jersey barrier, the other driver swerves back to the left and takes off up the highway.

I keep driving, get close enough to get the plate, pull over at the next well-lit stop, and call the state police.

A very nice trooper responds. (As an aside, there is something about those uniforms and especially the boots that is just plain yummy. Even though he was about 12. Incredibly polite and appropriately concerned.) Unfortunately, the license number I got didn't come back as a registered vehicle :( so there isn't much to go on. I think I might have transposed the numbers.

A few scrapes to the Mighty Honda Element. I'm fine. Puppy was fine. Boston boot was fine.

Really, what was the point of that? Run the woman driving the puttering shoebox into the marsh for no apparent reason? Maybe he took offense at my PJ Music Designs bumper sticker, or the one that says, "Your Honor Student is a Pawn in my Labrador Retriever's World Domination Plot."

Sorry about the stress
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553

Sorry about the stress

Thanks buddy, it's all good. I was remarkably calm. Really more baffled than anything, afterwards.

You don't by any chance drive a silver or beige SUV with a Maine license plate, do you? :o:lol: :shock:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

ooh ooh ive seen this movie.. steven spielberg directed it. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I'm glad you didn't get hurt unlost dogs.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

in his defense, you probably shouldn't have been where he was then he wouldn't have had to hit you ;)

glad all is ok :)
    Thanks all!

(They weren't there _ honest _ when I merged in. I think they came over from the far left lane. When they pulled away the SUV was swerving quite a bit and nearly went up on the median. I wanted the plate so I could call the police because in addition to technically leaving the scene of an accident, I thought the driver might have been drunk.)

To quote Chadwick, they should be run over by a tank.
    Thanks all!

(They weren't there _ honest _ when I merged in. I think they came over from the far left lane. When they pulled away the SUV was swerving quite a bit and nearly went up on the median. I wanted the plate so I could call the police because in addition to technically leaving the scene of an accident, I thought the driver might have been drunk.)

honest officer.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Thanks all!

honest officer.

Seriously Cate, the boots? Mi-T-Fine.
    Thanks all!

honest officer.

Seriously Cate, the boots? Mi-T-Fine.

reminds me of that scene in cannonball run where the girls are pulled over and the driver unzips her jumpsuit to show some boobage only to be confronted by a female officer.

well hi there hotcakes.. i dont suppose you have your license tucked away down there do you??? or something to that effect. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    You know his plate number.

Track him down.

Exact revenge.

Profit.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    You know his plate number.

Track him down.

Exact revenge.

Profit.

youre scary. :shock: :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    That really is crappy.

Perhaps you will see them again on the road someday and you can use the power of your mind to deflate all their tires.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    justam wrote:

Me too. It could have been worse. I wish people would learn how to pay attention while driving.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    Really, what was the point of that? Run the woman driving the puttering shoebox into the marsh for no apparent reason? Maybe he took offense at my PJ Music Designs bumper sticker,
    I think you're on to something...I managed to get a picture of the offending driver:
    ac2e50adcc161a9b24a06471f53d_grande.jpg

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, glad you and the precious cargo are OK.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Poncier wrote:
    Really, what was the point of that? Run the woman driving the puttering shoebox into the marsh for no apparent reason? Maybe he took offense at my PJ Music Designs bumper sticker,
    I think you're on to something...I managed to get a picture of the offending driver:
    ac2e50adcc161a9b24a06471f53d_grande.jpg

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, glad you and the precious cargo are OK.

Even Jesus hates Creed.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Claireack wrote:

Perhaps you will see them again on the road someday and you can use the power of your mind to deflate all their tires.

that would be pretty damn cool!!! 8-)

glad you're ok, unlost. i encounter shitty drivers every single day. some people just need to take a taxi & stay off the roads.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Thanks all! You know, I completely forgot to do a walk-around the car this morning. The state trooper went over the sides with his flashlight, but I meant to take another look in daylight.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the person could have been texting or talking or something like that? That just occurred to me when I read the above post about people paying attention while driving. The other driver didn't smash into me at all... but now that I think about it, they kept the two vehicles in contact long enough to maneuver me right out of the lane and onto the shoulder. Maybe they didn't even realize it...

*Resolves not to talk on the phone while driving* (I don't text while driving, I can barely text when sitting still in a chair.)

And Jeanwah... thank you. I am grateful that it wasn't much worse. And that you are doing so well!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Goodness Unlost that IS scary! I have been run off the road by ignorant drivers in my little civic very scary indeedy-do....maybe he was not offended by your PJ sticker...he was offended by:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYgB-BnlnapwhZnOSKnDfsJT9SWzctCmVxQYyasci36izR6tRbWw

I think he was one of those 'anti-dog' people....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    Goodness Unlost that IS scary! I have been run off the road by ignorant drivers in my little civic very scary indeedy-do....maybe he was not offended by your PJ sticker...he was offended by:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYgB-BnlnapwhZnOSKnDfsJT9SWzctCmVxQYyasci36izR6tRbWw

I think he was one of those 'anti-dog' people....

There are several dog-related stickers on the mighty Honda Element.

Or maybe he was just intimidated by the massive power of the four-cylinder engine.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Jeanwah wrote:
    justam wrote:

Me too. It could have been worse. I wish people would learn how to pay attention while driving.
    Easiest solution to this is to get women off the road! ;)

Don't mean to make light of the situation and glad no one was hurt.

I am serious about female drivers though. In my 30 years or so of observing fellow drivers women certainly pay the least attention.
    #FHP
    A Cat loving Creed fan from Maine. There's only 60 or so people in the whole state, we should be able to figure this out.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i hate drivers....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Glad to hear you're okay.

Some people amaze me with their stupidity on the road. If you ever come to Utah, beware...I think all of our imbeciles are on the highway at all times...it blows me away.

Driving requires a lot of common sense, I think. But at the same time, common sense is criminally misleading as it is not all so common. :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

And Jeanwah... thank you. I am grateful that it wasn't much worse. And that you are doing so well!

:D
    Horos wrote:

I am serious about female drivers though. In my 30 years or so of observing fellow drivers women certainly pay the least attention.
    I'd say teenagers are a LOT worse. Combine inexperience and inattentiveness... They make up the majority of accidents in my state and are #1 w/ texting while driving.
    dcfaithful wrote:

Some people amaze me with their stupidity on the road. If you ever come to Utah, beware...I think all of our imbeciles are on the highway at all times...it blows me away.

Driving requires a lot of common sense, I think. But at the same time, common sense is criminally misleading as it is not all so common. :roll:

I will definitely be alert if I ever find myself driving in Utah, DCF!

You know, we're quite well known for our attentive and polite driving here in Boston. Where else can you routinely see drivers negotiating rotaries while texting with one hand and putting on mascara with the other? And don't even get me started on the women...
    dcfaithful wrote:

I will definitely be alert if I ever find myself driving in Utah, DCF!

You know, we're quite well known for our attentive and polite driving here in Boston. Where else can you routinely see drivers negotiating rotaries while texting with one hand and putting on mascara with the other? And don't even get me started on the women...

:lol: nice
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Jeanwah wrote:

Horos wrote:

I'd say teenagers are a LOT worse. Combine inexperience and inattentiveness... They make up the majority of accidents in my state and are #1 w/ texting while driving.
    Female, Asian, Senior Citizens = worst

Sorry for stereotyping.
    #FHP
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Horos wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Horos wrote:

Female, Asian, Senior Citizens = worst

Sorry for stereotyping.

no you're not...if you didn't mean it, you wouldn't have said it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

• You know, we're quite well known for our attentive and polite driving here in Boston. Where else can you routinely see drivers negotiating rotaries while texting with one hand and putting on mascara with the other? And don't even get me started on the women...

shitty Unlost...but glad u and the dog are ok. I swear people need to be re-tested multiple times for driving privileges. I nearly get into an accident on a daily basis due to morons not paying attention. You handled the situation well...I probly woulda gassed up the 4 cylinder and followed that sucker.

Kinda ironic dont u think however that a masshole was run off the road by a mainard? they're usually so sweet and kind those mooselovers.... guess not all stereotypes are tru ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw0UOYHZ6FA
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...