Options

Cantrell signature Crybaby wah

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm trying one of these out right now. i haven't had a wah in years and from the description of it being darker with the ability to lower the toe-down frequency with a knob it sounded appealing.

it's pretty good but, coming from a background where i tinkered with pedals (including wahs) over the years, it's semi-disappointing that it's your basic GCB95 that costs a lot less with a couple of changed components and the extra external pot. i.e. if one had the means and skills, you can easily mod a stock crybaby to the same specs for a lot less. that being said, if you didn't have the means or skills, the cost of getting someone to do the mods would get you pretty close to the same price.

but it sounds good and i really like the tunable high end. and the bronze case is cool.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm trying one of these out right now. i haven't had a wah in years and from the description of it being darker with the ability to lower the toe-down frequency with a knob it sounded appealing.

it's pretty good but, coming from a background where i tinkered with pedals (including wahs) over the years, it's semi-disappointing that it's your basic GCB95 that costs a lot less with a couple of changed components and the extra external pot. i.e. if one had the means and skills, you can easily mod a stock crybaby to the same specs for a lot less. that being said, if you didn't have the means or skills, the cost of getting someone to do the mods would get you pretty close to the same price.

but it sounds good and i really like the tunable high end. and the bronze case is cool.

Good post. Ah to be a good enough guitar player to actually use a wah. With my lack of effort I'll never get to that point....

Have you done any pedals lately? For a while there you were making a bunch of post's of your latest...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    nah, i haven't built anything for about a year. i built two dynacomps and that OCD/DLS clone last fall from scratch and kind of burnt myself out on it. there are a couple of things i'd like to build but i'm trying to use what limited free time i have to actually play right now.

one more thing on the wah, there is inherent value of course in knowing what to change to alter the sound but still, almost double the price. :?

i suck with the wah but it's fun.
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    nah, i haven't built anything for about a year. i built two dynacomps and that OCD/DLS clone last fall from scratch and kind of burnt myself out on it. there are a couple of things i'd like to build but i'm trying to use what limited free time i have to actually play right now.

one more thing on the wah, there is inherent value of course in knowing what to change to alter the sound but still, almost double the price. :?

i suck with the wah but it's fun.

Your self qouted "Suck with the wah" seems light years away from where I am with my lack of ability.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    That's always been my primary complaint against the modern Crybaby... the high end of the sweep is way harsh, and the top half of the sweep is not very musical. When you think of wah, you think of more throaty sounds. The Crybaby seems aimed more at the funk end of the spectrum. I really like my Vox standard wah, it's throaty enough and has a much more useable sweep overall. I'm sure I'd love the tone of a Teese RMC or Fulltone Clyde, but I use wah in a static position, or through the low-end of the sweep (heel down) mostly. I'd love to pick up a good envelope filter or autoway at some point, but I get by with the Vox.

Greg, you still need to build me a BYOC Mighty Mouse. I need to send my Rat to Keeley before he quits modding them entirely, but the Mouse would be nice to have around, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    if you want a rat built, i'd be happy to do it for you.

if i take this cantrell back i'll exchange for the current vox V847A or whatever it is now with the 9V jack.
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Fulltone Clyde. It's my prized possession. Beautiful pedal!