Care taker

patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Caretaking has highs and lows and many good days and bad days.
Every morning when I wake up I ask myself what will today bring?
I ask will I be calm and not get frustrated today?
It's hard trying to balance my life with everything else and not loose it.
Each day I seem to have a moment or two when I do loose it.
Thinking of the past and when things were easier for my father and for all of us.
I sometimes feel I'm trapped in a small room and yelling so loud for help but it never comes.
I'm the youngest of three but I feel I'm acting the oldest.
Driving to doctor appointments, picking up prescription refills, the list is endless.
I'm not myself anymore but I hope to find myself again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wrong area to post this but I blame the wine on that.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    If you can afford it, see if you can hire someone to help you. My Mom's a home attendant and she goes once or twice a week to peoples home just so families could get a break and do thing that they need to do for themselves.

If your family can't/won't help, look for someone on the outside. It will definitely help to keep your sanity if you have some time off.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I was the only one caring for my Mom the last 10 years of her life.
    Moved her here to Georgia and saw her daily at the apartment we set up for her.
    As her health deteriorated and she entered a nursing home it was also daily visits,
    but those were the hardest. Always trouble there and so much sadness. So much wrong.
    I would go to work drained before my day began, most days in tears.
    Daily visits turned to twice sometimes 3 times a day and the dementia set in.
    Lots of pain, emotional for me, physical for her.
    Looking back it was so very hard Patrick but words can't tell you how rewarding it is now in hindsight.
    I got as much out of it all as she did. It is truly what life is all about.
    Being there, caring for those we love.
    And remember no matter how hard it gets.....'this as all things shall pass.'