Comments

• Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    yep, it's my fave on the 'cado.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    mickaxemickaxe Posts: 59
    jesus lads matt C writes awesome tunes - you are, in the moonlight

umemployable is fantastic - the guitar licks, the outro, eddie, the backing vocals, the subject

wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    This song is so freakin amazing. Am I the only one that thinks this is the best one? It kinda reminds me of a new glorified G, except so much better. The lyrics are absolutely incredible, not to mention matt wrote it. It's ATLEAST matt's best song.
    you should RUN to the movie store and rent "There Will Be Blood"
  • Options
    celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    Unemployable is miles ahead of Parachutes

As far as best song goes, that's kinda hard cause Avocado had numerous "best songs" ;)
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    Unemployable is miles ahead of Parachutes

As far as best song goes, that's kinda hard cause Avocado had numerous "best songs" ;)

Parachutes easily kicks the living shit out of Unemployable in every possible way. Not even a contest.

for writing grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat songs: Stone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Matt
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    Parachutes easily kicks the living shit out of Unemployable in every possible way. Not even a contest.

Yeah, seriously. I mean, it's not even close. I don't get the "Unemployable" hate ... especially regarding the lyrics (the sleep/dream line is actually pretty cool). ... but Parachutes, lyrically and musically, is miles ahead of anything Unemployable could ever hope to be.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Unemployable is not in my favs list from Avocado but its not that bad in my opinion. I know this post wasn't about Unemployable vs. Get Right, but now that the comments get flowing i'd rather listen to the first one rather than the song from Riot Act.
  • Options
    GillGill Posts: 56
    I'd totally agree this is Avocado's best song. When it comes on my stereo it always makes me tingle, especially the last half. I just think its amazing. Don't get me wrong, there's other great songs on the album but its this one that always makes me smile.

The only time i chose not to listen to it was on the way to a job interview. Just in case.
  • Options
    LimeDiseaseLimeDisease Posts: 89
    awesome tune
  • Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    Great tune...right behind come back, parachutes and MITS.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    wow...usually a thread for the love of a certain song gets alot of positive comments. I really cant believe im the minority here for loving this song so much. oh well your all just a bunch of morons ;)
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    wow...usually a thread for the love of a certain song gets alot of positive comments. I really cant believe im the minority here for loving this song so much. oh well your all just a bunch of morons ;)

TOTALLY my fave song from Pearl Jam( the album not the band), fantastic approach to such an upfront issue( esp for Americans right now)
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i like the ending, but that's about it
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    People who describe Matt's songs as "generic" know nothing about music and should just keep their mouths shut. Come Back, Severed Hand, Life Wasted...THOSE songs are generic filler. Learn the difference.
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i like it a lot, but ever since i heard the shania twain comparison, it really killed that part of the song for me, i can't listen to it without thinking about shania......maybe he can change the "oh OH oh" to actual lyrics in the future

haha

totally agree
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    edited March 2009
    Post edited by Surf Rider on
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    I got this with the World Wide Suicide single download, and listened to it about 300 times within a couple of weeks. I have not listened to it for about a year so thanks to this thread, it is on my to do list.

glad i can help :D
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    muppet wrote:
    Kind of like a Bruce Springsteen song.

yes! i think unemployable sounds like a few verses from nebraska...which is fucking great. it (unemployable) always hits me in the face in a way nothing else on the S/T record ever does...
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    To be fair, Matt co-wrote the music with Mike.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    People who describe Matt's songs as "generic" know nothing about music and should just keep their mouths shut. Come Back, Severed Hand, Life Wasted...THOSE songs are generic filler. Learn the difference.

You must know everything there is about music huh? what an asshole.

I never said anything about it being generic, but it appears you know jack shit about music by saying those songs are generic filler.
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    Bushleaguer28Bushleaguer28 Posts: 776
    I like Unemployable a lot and think the lyrics are actually very good - my one complaint is that it feels as if its missing another verse where the repeating chorus is near the end but other than that . . .
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Am I the only one that thinks this is the best one?
    yeah. BIG WAVE is way better! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    My favorite off the album as well.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I like Unemployable a lot and think the lyrics are actually very good - my one complaint is that it feels as if its missing another verse where the repeating chorus is near the end but other than that . . .

Yeah, agree completely. It seems undeveloped and could really do with another verse, especially if it would be as good as the other verses. I think this is one of Pearl Jams strongest songs, lyrically. Not as an overall song, but it does have killer lyrics, IMO.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,754
    After hating on Unemployable throughout this thread. I decided to listen to it for the first time in a year or so just so I'm not simply going on memory

anyway, earlier in this thread I said the following:

Unemployable has NOTHING going for it. Nothing redeems it. Most songs I hate I can at least come up with something I like about it. take Evacuation for instance; I don't care for the song but at least the riff is fun to play. that's something in it's favor. Unemployable has nothing.

after giving it a listen, I must admit that one redeeming factor of it is the harmony vocals on the chorus.

a second point in it's favor: it's not as bad as Come Back.

that's two thus far Shooter
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I've skipped through this thread and am not even gonna bother getting involved in any negative "this song is better than that one" kinda stuff. I just wanted to say, this is my favourite of the album too.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    celebrationcelebration Posts: 318

for writing grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat songs: Stone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Matt

He said

She said

I'm right, dammit!
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    AliveinFLAliveinFL Posts: 567
    Decent song but not the best on the album however this is the only song on the new album I haven't heard live so I hope I get my chance in Columbia.
    11/17/93, 9/17/95, 10/2/96, 6/27/1998, 10/21/2000, 4/13/2003, 10/8/2004, 7/6/2006, 7/7/2006, 7/9/2006, 7/10/2006, 6/12/2008, 6/16/2008,5/20-21/2010, 9/3-9/4/2011, 9/21/12, 9/22/12, EV solo Jax 11/25-11/26, 7/19/2013, 10/30/2013
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    JWBusher wrote:

Is it possible for me to agree with you and disagree with you at the same time?

I like Matt's contribution ... but fucking love the three songs you just bashed.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    I tend to skip it. Sorry