Fralin Split Blades - My Strat Upgrades

ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
edited November 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey y'all. As you may or may not know, I have a big PJ 20th anniversary tribute show coming up. In honor of the occasion I decided to completely overhaul and upgrade my Strat. It is an 85 Japanese Superstrat. Has several weird uncommon features (kahler locking trem, big chrome hardware). I am not the orig owner and this guitar came modded with some kind of mid 80's emg pickups with a little overdrive circuit board in it.

ALl that coming off! :) New set of Fralin split blades being installed. Removing the locking nut, new hand carved bone nut re[placement. Adding new trees (doesnt have any). New vintage style knobs and hardware. New pots. New orange drop capacitor. And overall setup. I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

ALl being done by Joe Z guitar repair in Levittown PA. Awesome Old School Dude!

Will be finished by next Friday. PJ Tribute Show: "Do the Evolution" That Saturday following (Nov 13th). :clap::clap: :crazy:

Anybody have Fralin's?
Evolution Music Studios presents:
DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm a big fan of Lindy's P-90's, and I had a pair of Strat pickups that were really good as well. I think he's about as good as any pickup winder out there, for sure.

Hadn't heard of the split blades pup, but I watched his vids on the web and they sound pretty good. Basically chasing the hum-less single-coil tone that everyone else is trying for. I don't think I'll drop my SCN pups in my current Strat, but they should make for a good-sounding axe.

I love old beater Strats, mine is a mid-90's MIM "Squier series." Great guitar.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That's awesome, I love Lindy Fralin. Vintage Hots are generally my fave, but I think you'll love the split blades.

So are you changing the Kahler too? You can benefit somewhat from a solid steel trem block.

Some people think that 5 springs makes a difference in resonance, I'm skeptical.

Congrats though. Good times.

I have an old beater black strat that eventually I'll get around to tweaking. I think I'm going to do it up gilmore style black on black.

Please do some sound clips of the split blades when you get it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Some people think that 5 springs makes a difference in resonance, I'm skeptical.

i think it's bringing the bridge back to the body that does that personally. though i just do it because i don't like the strat trem.

yay for strat mods. mine's getting CS 69s this weekend.
  • exhausted wrote:
    Pacomc79 wrote:

i think it's bringing the bridge back to the body that does that personally. though i just do it because i don't like the strat trem.

yay for strat mods. mine's getting CS 69s this weekend.

No doubt. I swear by my Mexi-Strat with Texas Special Single-Coils.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)