Any Mechanics Here?

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. It's been in and out of the shop at least 6 or 7 times since June and they still can't figure out the problem. It's been in since this past Tuesday, and still can't figure out what's wrong with it/how to fix it. Very frustrating!

Here's the problem:

When I crank it up the engine starts revving on its own. They cleaned out the throttle body and replaced the EGR valve (it was leaking). It has improved a little, but it still revs on its own until I put it into another gear. They checked out the throttle position sensor and they said that it was fine. I also got a tune-up back in June and they changed the plugs.

Any mechanics here that can give me some advice? Thanks!
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    LukinFan wrote:
    I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. It's been in and out of the shop at least 6 or 7 times since June and they still can't figure out the problem. It's been in since this past Tuesday, and still can't figure out what's wrong with it/how to fix it. Very frustrating!

Here's the problem:

When I crank it up the engine starts revving on its own. They cleaned out the throttle body and replaced the EGR valve (it was leaking). It has improved a little, but it still revs on its own until I put it into another gear. They checked out the throttle position sensor and they said that it was fine. I also got a tune-up back in June and they changed the plugs.

electrical something something shorting-out something like intake breather pistons
    see 81

81 likes corvettes
    i think he owns a truck... you're set.

good luck :)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Damn....I thought you were asking as in Mike and the Mechanics....I played keyboards with them once :D

Oh well, nevermind.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Any Chevy experts in here? I have a 2500 P/U that makes a 'thunk thunk thunk' sound (comes from the heater core) after the engine tuns over and after I shut it off. Makes the sound for about 15 seconds....been told electrical, and 'never heard that sound before'. :twisted: runs fine other than that....replace a fuse? help? Chad?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Damn....I thought you were asking as in Mike and the Mechanics....I played keyboards with them once :D

Oh well, nevermind.

In the living years? sorry i had to.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    chadwick wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Here's the problem:

electrical something something shorting-out something like intake breather pistons
    see 81

81 likes corvettes

Thanks! I sent him a PM
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

4and20 wrote:
    Any Chevy experts in here? I have a 2500 P/U that makes a 'thunk thunk thunk' sound (comes from the heater core) after the engine tuns over and after I shut it off. Makes the sound for about 15 seconds....been told electrical, and 'never heard that sound before'. :twisted: runs fine other than that....replace a fuse? help? Chad?
    contact 81 and blenderman69

that happened a lot back when cars were not as advanced as they are today.
    i know of this "thunk thunk thunking"

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    4and20 wrote:

huh.... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    LukinFan wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Here's the problem:

see 81

81 likes corvettes

Thanks! I sent him a PM

replied.

just for the record, i'm not a mechanic, but i did toy with a carbed small block chevy. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    :|
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I think Speedy's a mechanic...
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    4and20 wrote:

not a mechanic, but I play one sometimes...

Not sure who told you your issue is electrical...sounds like there may be air in the cooling system...I did a quick google search and found this...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t759514 ... t_end.html
    LukinFan wrote:

Here's the problem:

is the check engine light on? have they checked for vacuum leaks...?

I suggest finding a forum that specific to your vehicle and do some searching and asking...

I found this: http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-65/

also, perhaps it's time to find a new mechanic...
    inmytree wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

Not sure who told you your issue is electrical...sounds like there may be air in the cooling system...I did a quick google search and found this...

that makes a lot more sense to me. the heater core isn't electrical. it's like a mini radiator in dash with two hoses carring coolant to and from the engine. in thoery, it shouldn't get air in it. however, if it is leaking or one of the hoses has a leak it could. check for dampness in your carpets or coolant drippings in your parking spot. check the hoses to make sure they look good.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    inmytree wrote:

I suggest finding a forum that specific to your vehicle and do some searching and asking...

lot of good vehicle specifc forums on the net
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    inmytree wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

that makes a lot more sense to me. the heater core isn't electrical. it's like a mini radiator in dash with two hoses carring coolant to and from the engine. in thoery, it shouldn't get air in it. however, if it is leaking or one of the hoses has a leak it could. check for dampness in your carpets or coolant drippings in your parking spot. check the hoses to make sure they look good.

x2...
    81 wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

lot of good vehicle specifc forums on the net

amen to that...

I did an engine swap with the help of online forums and groups...no mechanic...just me in my driveway...
    81 wrote:
    inmytree wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

Thanks inmytree and 81...carpet looks fine, don't see any leaking in the driveway...but then again, it's always raining here....ground is always wet. Some mechanic @ a juffy lube suggested electrical. (I know, I know, he's just a lube guy...figured he might 'know people') But my regular mechanic said something to the effect of, "there is a flap that controls the air flow for the heater and it could be off...not sure" they'd have to do a diag and minimum cost would be $1000....wish my guy was more mechanically competent :|
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    Thanks inmytree and 81...carpet looks fine, don't see any leaking in the driveway...but then again, it's always raining here....ground is always wet. Some mechanic @ a juffy lube suggested electrical. (I know, I know, he's just a lube guy...figured he might 'know people') But my regular mechanic said something to the effect of, "there is a flap that controls the air flow for the heater and it could be off...not sure" they'd have to do a diag and minimum cost would be $1000....wish my guy was more mechanically competent :|

1000 bucks?!?!?

run away from that...I'd a whole lot of forum searching first...You may simply need to top off the coolant reservoir...my only concern is air lock on the coolant system...which can cause over heating...

is your running temp normal...? and does this sort of thing only occur at specific times, i.e., when you are running the heat or defrost...?
    inmytree wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

1000 bucks?!?!?

run away from that...I'd a whole lot of forum searching first...You may simply need to top off the coolant reservoir...my only concern is air lock on the coolant system...which can cause over heating...

is your running temp normal...? and does this sort of thing only occur at specific times, i.e., when you are running the heat or defrost...?

nope...always makes the sound as soon as the engine turns over, or as soon as it it shut off. I can turn the ignition to the first click, and no sound, but as soon as the engine engages, the 'thunk' starts. Only thing I can think of is that last winter, it was snowing, I warmed up the truck, scraped windows, turned up heater and started driving. I was driving down a hill, and started slipping on ice, so instead of sliding into oncoming traffic, I headed for the curb, bumped it and regained control. Wasn't a hard bump, I was going less than 10 mph. When I got to work and shut off the truck, that's the first time it made the noise...been doing it ever since. A/C and heater all work fine.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:

nope...always makes the sound as soon as the engine turns over, or as soon as it it shut off. I can turn the ignition to the first click, and no sound, but as soon as the engine engages, the 'thunk' starts. Only thing I can think of is that last winter, it was snowing, I warmed up the truck, scraped windows, turned up heater and started driving. I was driving down a hill, and started slipping on ice, so instead of sliding into oncoming traffic, I headed for the curb, bumped it and regained control. Wasn't a hard bump, I was going less than 10 mph. When I got to work and shut off the truck, that's the first time it made the noise...been doing it ever since. A/C and heater all work fine.

interesting...did you crawl under the truck to check for damage...?

I wonder when you hit the curb, the heater core, which is jammed up in there pretty good, moved and pinched a hose...far fetched, but you never know...

I guess if your not having any real issues, I say go about my business and not worry about it...
    Dear Lukinfan, inmytree, 4and20, and 81

I added 2 quarts of oil to my car last week.

Happy Motoring,
    Semi-dry Dipstick

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    Dear Lukinfan, inmytree, 4and20, and 81

I added 2 quarts of oil to my car last week.

Happy Motoring,
    Semi-dry Dipstick
    :thumbup: