Night Time Insect Bites

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Two nights ago, something bit the crap out of me in my sleep. The bites actually itched more on the second day, today, than the first. There are probably half a dozen of them on my leg, one on my arm.. Yesterday I tore my bedroom apart, sprayed insecticide in my windows and floor. I don't think it bit me last night, although I'm not sure I remember having the bite on my arm yesterday and I'm not sure I haven't been bit before and didn't realize it until a few nights ago.

I can only assume it's a spider that found it's way in, escaping the colder nights we've been having. At least, that's my hope. I've heard of bed bug outbreaks that have been happening more and more these days and I hope to god it's not that. I'm getting insomnia just thinking about some creature waiting for me to fall asleep then having it's dinner.

Anyone having/had the same problem? Is this a common thing this time of year? Is it most likely a spider that will go away or die? How do you tell if it's bed bugs?

If I find this thing, it is going to die a slow and horrible death. :twisted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Spiders are starting to 'move-in'...a few weeks ago, I was half asleep and felt something tickle my face, so I go to brush it away...I felt something round-ish in my hand and then felt it pop and my hand was wet.... :eh: so I turn on the light and find a squished spider in my hand :twisted: since I detest spiders, I was not happy being woken up in such a disturbing fashion....SO woke up to a spider crawling up his arm last night.

To see if you have bed bugs, you'd have to strip your bed and look in the mattress binding creases, between the mattress and box spring etc. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bugs
    Interesting and a little disturbing....they are like mini cockroaches.

I'd rather get bitten by spiders..I think..... :|
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    4and20 wrote:
    Spiders are starting to 'move-in'...a few weeks ago, I was half asleep and felt something tickle my face, so I go to brush it away...I felt something round-ish in my hand and then felt it pop and my hand was wet.... :eh: so I turn on the light and find a squished spider in my hand :twisted: since I detest spiders, I was not happy being woken up in such a disturbing fashion....SO woke up to a spider crawling up his arm last night.

To see if you have bed bugs, you'd have to strip your bed and look in the mattress binding creases, between the mattress and box spring etc. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bugs

Yes, I hope it's a spider. I stripped my mattress but didn't see much. I'm assuming this was a one or two night event, but if it keeps going on, it's going to turn into a nightmare. These things aren't mosquito bites. They really friggen itch.

I can't imagine where I would have picked up bed bugs, although I do live in an old 30 unit apartment complex.

If it's bed bugs and the landlord or exterminator can't help me, I'm getting the hell out and leaving my belongings.

Most likely, all these recent news stories just have me on edge.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    4and20 wrote:

Yes, I hope it's a spider. I stripped my mattress but didn't see much. I'm assuming this was a one or two night event, but if it keeps going on, it's going to turn into a nightmare. These things aren't mosquito bites. They really friggen itch.

I can't imagine where I would have picked up bed bugs, although I do live in an old 30 unit apartment complex.

If it's bed bugs and the landlord or exterminator can't help me, I'm getting the hell out and leaving my belongings.

Oh, could be fleas too...if your apt building allows pets, it could be a flea infestation. Can't really 'look' for fleas as they bounce all over the place...Apt manager would prob bomb your apt, but I hate that stuff.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Sounds more like bed bugs (or fleas) than spiders. Contrary to their name, bed bugs aren't just in the bed. They can nest anywhere (any little crack in the floor, wall, etc.). They're a bitch to get rid of.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    redrock wrote:
    Sounds more like bed bugs (or fleas) than spiders. Contrary to their name, bed bugs aren't just in the bed. They can nest anywhere (any little crack in the floor, wall, etc.). They're a bitch to get rid of.

Yup. sounds like Bed Bugs.

Here is how you can tell. The bites are grouped in 1-5 bites, or you have a line of bites.

Bed Bugs don't stay on the bed, they hide in an 8 foot radius around (and in/under/in the seams of) your bed.

One example would be them hiding in a screw hole, or in an electrical outlet that has a hole somewhere on the edges.

Here are some classic Bed Bug bite pics:

http://www.google.com/images?q=bed+bug+ ... 15&bih=651

and some of fleas:

http://www.google.com/images?q=flea+bit ... 15&bih=651

I would hope they are fleas as I think they are easier to get rid of.
  • damn.. .hope you rid your place of 'em

in the summer of 2008 i think it was, i felt a nip at my foot in the middle of the night, thought nothing of it

couple days later my shoe didn't fit anymore, and upon close inspection saw 2 bite marks

was bit by a white tail spider and my foot was slowly becoming infected. only trouble was i had an allergic reaction to the erythromycin

fucking spiders
    wah
    redrock wrote:

Shit, don't scare me!

It was only one night so far, three nights ago. Nothing since. Not as bad as the pictures above, but worse than mosquito bites.

I recently bough a big tropical plant and set it right next to my bed. I threw it away the day after the attack. Hopefully that bastard that did this went away with it.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Ocean... you might have been lucky this time! :mrgreen:
    God I hope so.. six nights later, but they still itch like a bitch!