So my nephew stopped breathing last night

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
8 months old, and he has a movement detector alarm thing in his cot. The alarm goes off at 3.15am, and my sis and bro-in-law run in and see him with no colour and no movement. They give him a shake, and eventually he responded (not sure on how long but it certainly wasn't immediate.)

They take him to the hospital, and they listen to his lungs, say they're clear, but they hear something that they're not quite sure, then the Doctor tells my sister

'maybe in future, you could wait 5 minutes, calm down, relax, and think about it before you rush into bringing him to hospital'

Um, maybe he was breathing, I don't know, but would any parent in this situation have done anything different?

And if he wasn't breathing, and next time her advice was followed, does this dim wit know what 5 minutes without oxygen could do?

so angry with this idiot now. :evil: :evil:
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    What a dope.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hospitals are classic soemtimes arent they.
    the toddlermonster ripped her foot open a few weeks back and there was blood everywhere(mainly all over me.. but thats another story.) anyways it needed to be stitched so her mum bundles her off to the local hospital and waits... and waits... and waits.... for 7 hours. then just as theyre readying her for the stitching up, a trauma case comes in and because theres only 2 doctors on duty in emergency, my daughter is told to take the toddlermonster home and bring her back the next morning. by ths stage its around 1:30AM. i peeked in on her and her little arm was wrapped elbow to fingertip so she didnt pull out the cannula theyd put im her arm and her foot of course was wrapped in layers of bandaging too.

i understand that trauma takes priority but the 7 hour wait.. ffs nsw govt.. just 2 docs on duty in a major hospital... get your friggin act together and fund the health system better.

oh and fuck off doctor if my child stops breathing for any amount of time you bet your life im gonna be bringing him/her to the hospital. pinhead.

hope the litle tyke is ok.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    pjfan31 wrote:
    8 months old, and he has a movement detector alarm thing in his cot. The alarm goes off at 3.15am, and my sis and bro-in-law run in and see him with no colour and no movement. They give him a shake, and eventually he responded (not sure on how long but it certainly wasn't immediate.)

They take him to the hospital, and they listen to his lungs, say they're clear, but they hear something that they're not quite sure, then the Doctor tells my sister

'maybe in future, you could wait 5 minutes, calm down, relax, and think about it before you rush into bringing him to hospital'

Um, maybe he was breathing, I don't know, but would any parent in this situation have done anything different?

And if he wasn't breathing, and next time her advice was followed, does this dim wit know what 5 minutes without oxygen could do?

Totally agree, I have a one year old son, would have done the same.

• what a fucking twit. that sort of advice should be grounds for dismissal.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • absolutely disgraceful :( hope they're going to be ok

just this year i started working at a major hospital, too many sad stories..
    wah
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    uhhh ... was the kid in fact breathing!?? ... based on the OP - there was clearly movement when they woke up because that is what triggered the alarm ... if the kid wasn't breathing - why would the alarm go off?

kids can fall dead asleep ... it is what basically allows them to be passed out at rock concerts ...

i'm not saying the kid wasn't in distress ... just that most parents will always err in the side of caution and overreact ... it's not very difficult to determine if a kid is breathing ... and if he wasn't breathing - why wasn't AR applied?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pjfan31 wrote:

Doc sounds like he's tired of seeing the emergency room full of people without insurance. Going in for a cold or whatever and never paying the bill. He's got a bit of an attitude from it all and your Sis, you has a perfectly legitimate reason for being there, got the brunt of it. Glad baby is ok :D
  • Sorry to hear of this.
  • Don't blame you for being angry. Of course, your sis and her hubby should just ignore what the asshole said. Hope the little fella is doing okay.

cate - hope the toddlemonster is doing well also.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Some doctors can be such morons. {believe me, I've worked with enough of them}

I would've brought the baby to the hospital too. Glad to hear he's okay.

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Having worked in emergency departments, first they need to make sure the baby didn't actually have an apnea episode where they may have stopped breathing for a moment... Then assure the parents that help is always available to them. No one should be made to feel like an ass for being worried about someone they love.

Doesn't matter how many traumas roll in the door, the most important patient to those parents is their baby.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • A'holes.
    I don't care if someone gets mad at me I'll still take them to hospital.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014