So you say you want to get a PhD in the Humanities...

One Song GloryOne Song Glory Posts: 710
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
2003: Toronto
2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
2006: Toronto 1 & 2
2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
2010: Buffalo
2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
2016: Toronto 1 & 2
2022: Hamilton/Toronto
2023: EV Seattle 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sadly this is most likely going to be the story of my life. And yet I can't stop laughing.
  • :lol::lol::lol: I agree, I couldn't stop laughing either.

BA and MA in the Humanities here :oops: :? :|
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    My son is applying for PhD programs in Ed philosophy as we sepak. Oh the horror. :lol:
  • jmurray wrote:
    My son is applying for PhD programs in Ed philosophy as we speak. Oh the horror. :lol:

Make sure he watches the video. Although I'm sure he won't see the horror :lol:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • jmurray wrote:
    My son is applying for PhD programs in Ed philosophy as we speak. Oh the horror. :lol:

Make sure he watches the video. Although I'm sure he won't see the horror :lol:

Hell, I'm doing my MA in English right now and starting to look into PhD programs and I DO see the horror...but I'm having too much fun with this grad school life to think practically. Although I admit that the video more or less rings true..."I'm going to be a college professor." My only hope is that my interests are cutting-edge enough to get me somewhere once I start looking for university positions. (Harold Bloom does NOT inform much of my own scholarship. :D ) Plus, my supervisor seriously kicks ass and seems to know all the important people in my field. So, fingers crossed.
  • Sadly this is most likely going to be the story of my life. And yet I can't stop laughing.
    I couldn't stop laughing either!
    BA and MA in English. This poor dense girl was me 30 years ago, only my professors kept feeding me the lines about succeeding by working hard, the flexible schedule, working with great people while still telling me there were no tenure track jobs! I was a TA for 2 years while getting my Master's and loved it. I regretfully gave up my dream of a Ph.D. in English and "becoming a college professor" in 1981 and haven't looked back. I haven't had to--other people do it for me! Just last week someone gave me a big pep talk about teaching English part time at the local community college, because I so obviously love teaching (I'm a health educator).
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."