Day shift jobs, 9 to 5 jobs

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
alright so its obvious because of the nature of this post I am going to be called out on it, so i will address it head on. I was working a job that made it so i wasnt getting to go to concerts. my shifts ended at midnight. i live in an apartment literally feet from a venue in my hometown and am on a first name basis with the people who run this venue because i am there so often. I merely want a job that allows me time to do what i want at night. Which is go to concerts. I quit my previous job, not because of pearl jam, but because i wasnt getting to go to ANY concerts anymore. So I quit my job. I had saved up enough money and was able to live, and pay my own rent for 9 months without working. My money ran out and I was forced to get a job, which ive had for 4 or 5 months, I work graveyard. I cant do it anymore. I am not getting to go to concerts, for obvious reasons.

for some people its kids, they cant work past a certain time because they need to be there for their kids. for some people its another issue. for me, its music. im not married, i dont own a home. i dont own a car. music is my life. my username is no joke, and wasnt chosen to be funny. its how i live my life.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for jobs that are day shift only? 9 to 5 type jobs that would allow me to go to concerts at night?

You may think its laughable to base ones job on my criteria, but that shouldnt matter. im posting here.

Please anyone, can someone recommend any job at all, where I can have my nights free to go to concerts.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Post office, car salesman?

Or even working in retail at a shopping centre?

Good luck.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    It'll be pretty easy to get a retail job now, just let them know your availability is from open to 6 or 7.

PS....is music your life?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Crime Pays!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I work in IT for a corporate office. It couldn't be any more like bankers hours. M-F, 8 to 4.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    I work in an office too, admin, 8.30-5 m-fri. I think there are plenty of jobs with daytime hours, more than those that work after hours I would think. Sorry, maybe not that helpful. JM2cW I guess.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Have you thouht about getting an education. Most "educated" jobs are day jobs. No #ig at anyone
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    How about learning to do a job that's in music? Can you play an instrument? Can you work in a music store? Can you work at a radio station? Can you work at one of these clubs?

Surely if music is your life it should be part of your working life too, yes?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    justam wrote:
    How about learning to do a job that's in music? Can you play an instrument? Can you work in a music store? Can you work at a radio station? Can you work at one of these clubs?

Surely if music is your life it should be part of your working life too, yes?
    he should have been a roadie 13 years ago
    quit fucking around musicismynuts and do something
    you wasted 134 minutes typing this thread out
    that could have been 134 minutes worth of stroking or guitar work or selling some amps
    ever sell a piano?
    can you move and set up a drum kit?
    are you into girls?
    do you admire stupid shit?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    do a hotjobs or monster.com job search for your area. if the only consideration for what you do is schedule based, you should be able to find something that will pay the bills and allow your shows too. good luck.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    janitor @ the venue
    security @ the venue
    ticket fucker @ the venue
    wash venue's windows
    sweep venue's sidewalk

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    @eBay . :lol::lol:
    81 wrote:
    Have you thouht about getting an education. Most "educated" jobs are day jobs. No #ig at anyone
    have you ever thought about working for 81?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I heard Eyed is always looking for salt mine shift managers. You'd have to be all right with the concept of child labor, but other than that, seems like a good deal.

Or... administrative or facilities work in a health clinic. Same deal, in a school system. Avoid hospitals, public safety, or anything else 24/7. That's where I went wrong...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    truck driving is probably not your cup of tea
    construction work would work for you
    5am till dark
    you're set for the shows

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Chad is wise beyond his years. You would be wise to heed his advice
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

These are meaningful words coming from a smoking baby! :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    81 wrote:

Don't under estimate the babyhe is wise beyond his years
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    justam wrote:
    81 wrote:

Don't under estimate the babyhe is wise beyond his years

That's what I was thinking. ;):D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    librarian

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Definitely NOT retail. I don't know why anyone mentioned retail. I worked at Best Buy through high school, college and 5 years after I graduated and prime hours during the week were evenings until 10 pm when every other 9 to 5ver was off work and you could sell them stuff.

Get a government job, or work in an office if you want 9 to 5.. Avoid retail AT ALL COSTS.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    I worked retail while in school, all I had to do was say I was unavailable after 5....was never scheduled later than that.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Chadwick is on the right track....

Not sure what size venue you live by, but if they have a box office open during the day, apply there for that... or go to bigger venues in town for the same thing. I manage a box office at an arena, and we hire anyone with a fucking pulse that is available during the weekdays. Pay is crappy, but if you work until like 6 or 7, you can stick around and watch the show or whatever.

And yeah... retail in general, the pool of people who can work during the day isn't all that great, someone will hire you.

Or even as a waiter in places that are busy for lunch...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    If you can't find a job in the music field, then music isn't your life.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,597
    wendys is hiring.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    worlds-worst-jobs-1.jpg?w=300&h=252
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    DewieCox wrote:
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    :lol:

oddthreadcreatorismylife78

better fit :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    I feel your pain! I am a chef that has worked nights, weekends and holidays for the past 20 years. I've been lucky enough to have worked at places the have given me paid time off (I haven't had a non-pearl jam vacation in years :lol: ), but not all kitchen jobs do that.

I have an interview monday morning for a kitchen job mon-fri 8-4 this is unheard of in my industry.
    wish me luck!
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    gearboy wrote:
    I feel your pain! I am a chef that has worked nights, weekends and holidays for the past 20 years. I've been lucky enough to have worked at places the have given me paid time off (I haven't had a non-pearl jam vacation in years :lol: ), but not all kitchen jobs do that.

I have an interview monday morning for a kitchen job mon-fri 8-4 this is unheard of in my industry.
    wish me luck!

good luck gearboy and good luck to musicismylife. Surely you can find something that is in the day. You just can't be picky, I guess.
    gearboy wrote:

wish me luck!

good luck gearboy and good luck to musicismylife. Surely you can find something that is in the day. You just can't be picky, I guess.

so what makes you the number 1 pj fan? you think you're number 1?
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.