Sometimes it just fits perfectly

NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey you all out there,

I just thought I share something that I just stumbled upon reading the book 'Violence' by Slavoj Zizek.
He quotes Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. This quote comes frightening close to how I feel.
But somehow that's also comforting:

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love."
You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
Or you can come to terms and realize
You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    love should celebrated not feared ... the only thing worse than the pain of heartache is never loving at all ...
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    But love is still worth all the trouble though. :D

Crying hard is good for everyone and sometimes I have the puffy eyes to prove it. ;)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Nastasja wrote:
    Hey you all out there,

I just thought I share something that I just stumbled upon reading the book 'Violence' by Slavoj Zizek.
    He quotes Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. This quote comes frightening close to how I feel.
    But somehow that's also comforting:

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love."

:thumbup:

this isnt about fearing love. its about acknowledging an aspect of it. and gaiman is spot on. love does get inside you. you do open yourself up so someone can crawl inside. love does make you ache whether that be in sadness or with desire. i hate love too. but i also love it cause it does make me feel all this. life would be pretty boring with the lows and the highs.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • It's like a double-edged sword. I thank you for posting that quote because it reflects how I feel and think right now as well.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    That's what she said... :lol:
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Thank goodness it doesn't always feel like that!

love is all you need, all you need is love
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,022
    well, I think I can speak to this from having experienced a fuller sense of that emotion.

having felt both sides (the ups and the downs with the same person), love is one of the more absolute human things I've felt. Its not until our heart has been broken can we KNOW it was/is actual love that we felt. At least in my opinion.

As much as I would have not wanted to feel the downs , I'm richer as a human being for it. Worth it, totally.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Scary and Rewarding
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,022
    Scary and Rewarding
    ultimate risk, offering the ultimate reward. still worth betting on.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Love your family, Love your friends, love your lover, but don't confuse love with lust. Love is too often overrated.

It's better to be secure with yourself than to have loved.
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    Scary and Rewarding
    ultimate risk, offering the ultimate reward. still worth betting on.
    right on Mickey...the peak is far more memorable than the valley
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Hey, thanks for all those replies. It feels good that I'm not the odd one out with those feelings.
    I have never been lucky with love and always felt exactly as described by the quote. At the moment I wish I would just stop being able to feel love (I mean the love for a man; not family and friends). It has always been just so crushing and painful, to a point where it was hard functioning as a normal person.
    I'm happy for those who have felt the other side. At least some of us do.
  • Nastasja wrote:
    Hey, thanks for all those replies. It feels good that I'm not the odd one out with those feelings.
    I have never been lucky with love and always felt exactly as described by the quote. At the moment I wish I would just stop being able to feel love (I mean the love for a man; not family and friends). It has always been just so crushing and painful, to a point where it was hard functioning as a normal person.
    a lot has to do with attitude. changing your avatar info from "location: Hell" to pretty much anything else may be a start ;)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Love your family, Love your friends, love your lover, but don't confuse love with lust. Love is too often overrated.

It's better to be secure with yourself than to have loved.

I agree with that. Being secure with myself. Not overrating love.
    Most of the time I'm happy to be an independent person. To learn to live on my own and not to have to rely on someone.
    But when the feeling of loneliness kicks in it gets hard.
    My family and my 'old' friends are all far away, unfortunately. Now I have to fly 13 hours to see them. I shouldn't complain, it was my choice. But things often feel differently than expected.
    Nastasja wrote:
    a lot has to do with attitude. changing your avatar info from "location: Hell" to pretty much anything else may be a start ;)

:lol: I tried that for the last several month :P I'm in Victoria, BC but Ten Club wants to keep me in hell....