Anybody ever recover a stolen X-box?

twisted thoughtstwisted thoughts Posts: 4,377
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Without going into the full story...my X-Box 360 was just stolen...Halo Reach inside along with my entire collection of games.

Needless to say, Im completely devastated. My entire X-Box 360 career is on that hard drive...something that you cannot simply replace by buying a new xbox. I'd really prefer to have my system back rather than buying a new one, which I feel Im going to have to do. Halo just came out man...I was like 20 hrs deep...I gotta play (of course after I replace the TV that was also stolen... :x )

Anyways, Im just wondering if anyone can help me out. Have any of you had this happen before and successfully recovered your system? Cops came, made a report...they seem like they could care a less really. Im at work now...my computer at home was also stolen so this is the only place I have a computer to use and I dont have much time to be trolling around for answers.

Im just looking for phone numbers, or websites or something where I can go to report my xbox stolen, and hopefully the arsehole who has it decides to log into xbox live so the system can be tracked by the IP address. I think it can be done, I just dont have time to dig thru the various websites and message boards to find the info i need.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    that sucks the big one. sorry to hear about your loss. for your sake, i hope you can find the perp.

keep an eye on craigslist, ebay and pawn shops.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2010
    as a friend of mine was pulling into his driveway & walking up his walkway
    someone was running out the backdoor
    as they are running for it to avoid being caught in his house
    they drop the x-box, paddles, and games right on the family room floor

they bent all the prongs and things from yanking all the cables out

hopefully you get all your stuff back
    do you believe any of your so called friends are responsible?

my buddy believes it was an inside job
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    this is all I could find...http://games.gearlive.com/playfeed/arti ... -09181900/

most likely, the thief will erase the memory (or if he's stupid, he won't) and then sell to a pawn shop. Or if it's a stupid kid, they will just log on where ever they are and play. I'd keep calling Microsoft, don't take 'no' for an answer, I mean don't they disable game codes so people can't re-sell them when they're done playing (or something like that)?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sounds like a typical B and E ... please don't take it negatively but it's best to consider all that stuff gone ... i've had stuff stolen ... i'm not one to get attached to things so it wasn't that big a deal ... hopefully, you have house insurance and they will replace everything ...

as for the xbox stuff ... i wonder if the person that buys your xbox will try and use your gamertag ... i would think they could trace it thru an IP address ... did you try and contact xbox? ... not sure how willingly they would be to help ...
  • Thanks guys
    I do have insurance, but that doesnt replace years of game play on the xbox or years of pictures on the laptop :(
    All I know is that the person who took it, is not the person who has or will ultimately end up with it.
    Im sure someone just needed a quick fix and took my shit to trade off.
    assholes.
    I hate dealing with Microsoft...they're a bunch of tards...Had to deal w/ them before after getting a replacement xbox after I had the read ring of death...just trying to get back all your dlc is a bitch. Was hoping to find like an online report and claim section for that on xbox or microsoft...but i think im gonna end up having to call these morons and deal with them that way.
    thanks again guys...and again, if anyone else has any insight, let me know.
    and if you ever decide to steal someones x-box...LEAVE THE HARD DRIVE...DONT BE AN ASSHOLE!!! :x :x :x
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Damn. :( I'm sorry.

There's a lot to be said for this, but overall I feel your frustration. You're obviously into the gaming and it's something that you really enjoy, so all the effort you put into your profile and identity on it online surely means something to you and now it's just been taken. Regardless of what it is, that's all hard-work. I sincerely hope you get your stuff back safe and sound.

Not a bad idea about tracking it via IP address. Have you made any headway on that? As difficult as Microsoft may be to deal with, it sounds like a worthy headache to propose this idea to them. Surely there is technology out there to do that, seems pretty simple.

Chad mentioned earlier, and I would have to think the same think; it's gotta be an inside job. When did it happen? Have you begun to think back about anyone AND everyoen who has been in your house, and possibly unsupervised? It's hard to believe, but sometimes "friends" or acquaintances will steal shit. It's not permissable, but it is possible. On the contrary though, where do you live? Do you live in a shady neighborhood that's more likely to have B and E's?

I'd pursuit the IP address thing for sure, it's worth a shot, and like 81 said. Keep a good eye on craigslist, pawn shops, and even classifieds.

Do you live in an apartment? Better question, are you renting, and do you have renters insurance? If you did, I see no reason why this couldnt' be covered under that...of course depending on the circumstances, but this sounds applicable.

Best of luck. To cheer you up:

Kramer+Seinfeld+painting.png
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • thanks DC.
    just logged into my xbox acct online
    someone just played less than a minute ago :( :( :(
    why do i have to be at work right now
    i need to track this shit down!!!

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    thanks DC.

Call Microsoft, asap. Put up with the pain in the ass that it'll be. It's probably your best hope.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dcfaithful wrote:
    thanks DC.

Call Microsoft, asap. Put up with the pain in the ass that it'll be. It's probably your best hope.

yeah ... ditto ... they should be able to trace the IP and police should at least recover your xbox!!

keep us posted ...
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Ask your friends to keep an eye out for your gamertag online. Read a story once where the criminal was stupid enough to sign onto the account of the xbox owner.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    We had a string of B & E's here in South Brunswick NJ about 18 months ago, and the kids were caught because they logged on to the live account of a stolen XBox and friends of the individual who was victimized saw it. They reported it to the police and monitored the next time it was logged in. They were caught. Pretty crazy actually, and pretty stupid of the thieves.