Good tips for getting to sleep? Bedtime routines?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
How do you relax before bed? What do you do to get yourself ready for bed? Tips for getting to sleep? I work nightshift and hate it, so i have a hard time in several aspects. one i sleep, on work days at least, anytime before 1120pm which is when i have to head in to work. however, i loathe sleeping in the daytime, just because its obscene on its face, and because if you say sleep from 8am to 4pm it feels like you wasted the entire day and i hate that feeling. ive also tried sleeping later in the day, say from 3pm until i have to head in for work, but that is rough as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    When i need to sleep, i fire up the evo and read this thread......

So what are you doing now a days
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    first i lock all of my windows and doors. then i close the curtains...
    www.myspace.com
    :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    but what if someone was wanting to spy on you?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    but what if someone was wanting to spy on you?
    sol
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    the jeagler closing his curtains messes it up for everybody

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I drink 3 bottles of wine
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    the jeagler closing his curtains messes it up for everybody
    bastards
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited October 2010
    I can't imagine working those hours. For a month I had to start work at 3 am and that sucked the life out of me.

I would suggest, melatonin supplements. Take them an hour before you plan to sleep. It's a chemical your body normally releases when it gets dark that tells your body to go into shut down mode. Also, total darkness. Get curtains that block out all light. Your body reacts chemically when any light hits your skin, even more so with your eyes. We evolved this way. If nothing else, get a face mask. Light enters your eyes through your skin even when they are shut.

Keep the room cool. Anything more than 70 is not good for your body when it goes into sleep mode. Anything less than 54 is too cold.

I'm a horrible sleeper during the summer months. I get on and off insomnia pretty bad, so I've looked into what can cause it.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    81 wrote:
    I drink 3 bottles of wine
    i don't see how anyone can do that...
    hhhmmpptt

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited October 2010
    I can't imagine working those hours. For a month I had to start work at 3 am and that sucked the life out of me.

I would suggest, melatonin supplements. Take them an hour before you plan to sleep. It's a chemical your body normally releases when it gets dark that tells your body to go into shut down mode. Also, total darkness. Get curtains that block out all light. Your body reacts chemically when any light hits your skin, even more so with your eyes. We evolved this way. If nothing else, get a face mask. Light enters your eyes through your skin even when they are shut.

Keep the room cool. Anything more than 70 is not good for your body when it goes into sleep mode. Anything less than 54 is too cold.

I'm a horrible sleeper during the summer months. I get on and off insomnia pretty bad, so I've looked into what can cause it.
    i love a cold bedroom
    and my friend, smiley, the fan
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I'm a wino. Whoooo yeah
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I like to read a bit, or play Scrabble on the phone.

God I'm such a dork.

Do 81's thing instead.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Xanax
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    Just exhaust yourself mentally and physically; you should have no problems sleeping at that point.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • I used to work shift. All over the fucking place. Work a couple midnight shifts then a day off then day shift for a few days, then a few days off, then evenings. It was brutal. But when I worked nights (midnight to 8am), I'd come home, make some breakfast, watch Jerry Springer, and as someone else said, make my bedroom dark as night and I had no problems. I'd sleep generally from 9 or so until 5 or 6 pm. then I had the whole evening before work. But it wasn't the same as being off AFTER work. It's like you're just sitting around waiting to go to work. But I tried sleeping in the evening right before work, and it didn't take.

Sometimes I also smoked a doob while watching Springer. That always helped the sleep. :mrgreen:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Xanax

Best answer!!!

I like to smoke a fattie, oh look it's about bed time...
    I'll be back
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    masturbation
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    metsfan wrote:
    masturbation

:lol::lol::lol:

what a shocker!!!! :roll: ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    metsfan wrote:
    masturbation

:lol::lol::lol:

what a shocker!!!! :roll: ;)
    :roll:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

vmfury wrote:
    Just exhaust yourself mentally and physically; you should have no problems sleeping at that point.
    So in other words, sleep every other day. :lol:
    Xanax
    Even with the worst insomnia, xanax never fails.. I have a few my aunt gave me, and I save them sparingly for emergencies.. I haven't slept so go on them as I have since I was a child.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Xanax
    Even with the worst insomnia, xanax never fails.. I have a few my aunt gave me, and I save them sparingly for emergencies.. I haven't slept so go on them as I have since I was a child.

For me Tylenol PM works very good..... I needed (2) pills last night.... :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Fullmoon wrote:
    Xanax

Best answer!!!

I like to smoke a fattie, oh look it's about bed time...

yea its a no brainer..if it can put you to bed after doing powder all night...it can put you to bed anytime :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 10:30-11pm bedtime.
    Unwind with some songs from my mp3 player, when the eyes get heavy I turn it off and sleep.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    How do you relax before bed? What do you do to get yourself ready for bed? Tips for getting to sleep? I work nightshift and hate it, so i have a hard time in several aspects. one i sleep, on work days at least, anytime before 1120pm which is when i have to head in to work. however, i loathe sleeping in the daytime, just because its obscene on its face, and because if you say sleep from 8am to 4pm it feels like you wasted the entire day and i hate that feeling. ive also tried sleeping later in the day, say from 3pm until i have to head in for work, but that is rough as well.
    It is a tough life, JB worked the night shift and 2nd shift when we were young and a 2nd job too. When the weekend came he'd be up 24 hours before he got a chance to sleep.
    I hope for a change for you but the body does get used to it over time and it's not forever.

This reminds me of a radio ad I heard...they now have a disease or syndrome for those who work shifts and get over tired and stressed. With this new disease they now have a new prescription drug...ah ha. The warnings, dozen at least, included terrific side effects like suicidal tendencies, rare death occurrences etc etc. I thought to myself...I think I'd just be tired.

I'm for the old fashioned remedies, a walk in the fresh air, a warm comfort dinner, in your case a nice breakfast, maybe with a little alcohol like a Bloody Mary or a beer, a good laugh. Make sure the room is very darkened, we bought special curtains and tried for a quiet home, not easy with little ones.
    If you can't sleep well, get up and read or watch TV don't lay in bed trying to sleep but have a comfy place to retreat to. You'll sleep when your body needs it and hopefully this is short lived for you.You have to concede to the fact you may not get as much sleep as you used to or that you need, but many people do it.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Yoga or meditation. No doubt the deep breathing will get you to sleep. I also like Melatonin sometimes.
    When I worked nights, I'd go to the gym or take a run after work. It always helped me sleep better.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    go to sleep when you are tired, not at a specific time. sounds simple but most people don't do it. i go at a different time every night even though i get up at the same time. sometimes it's as early as 10:15 pm or as late as 1 or 2 am. sleep when you are tired, not when you feel like you have to. if you go when you are tired you won't toss and turn but will fall asleep quicker which is better. also sleep naked. it is the most comfortable way to sleep and distributes your body heat evenly so even on really cold nights you are most comfortable. also don't be afraid to take naps - if you can on a weekend grab 15-45 minutes at a time - works wonders.

although when i was younger i did work night shift for a few months and it was terrible. slept as soon as i got home at like 8:00 am but could never get more than 4 or 5 hours. it was the days off that were a nightmare - could never figure out a pattern for when to sleep on those days. for those few months i always felt 'off' - can't really explain how it felt just that it was different and off somehow. weird feeling - couldn't imagine doing it as i get older.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Having good sex usually does it for me. :P

or pot and my headphones.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2