Time traveller caught at 1928 Chaplin film premiere

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/8 ... lm-footage

Video on page.
For years, humans have wondered if time travel is a possibility – a possibility that's caught the fancy of many a writer and theorist.

But if vintage footage from a Charlie Chaplin film premiere is any indication, that fantasy may well have been actualised.

Belfast filmmaker George Clarke, a keen collector of Charlie Chaplin memorabilia, has made a bizarre discovery in a DVD of the premiere of Chaplin's 'The Circus' made in 1928.

In the footage, he noticed a person dressed like a woman walking by the camera, talking into a flat black object that appears uncannily like a mobile phone.

The only catch - there were no mobile phones or towers back in 1928.

Clarke screened the intriguing footage for a select audience but did not find any convincing answers – except time travel – to explain what he saw.

The clip, also posted on YouTube, has already received a massive half-a-million views and members have offered up possibilities like microphones, hearing aids, walkie-talkies and even alien communication technology.
A time traveller, an alien or just someone with hearing trouble? Watch and decide for yourself.
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Looks like it was filmed last week
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i told them this could happen. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331

Has anyone ever told you cate that you would make a good taxi driver?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    They better get on making a time machine in my lifetime then. I want to go back and become a king of a country, preferably not France.
    pjfan31 wrote:

like travis bickle you mean??? 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    They better get on making a time machine in my lifetime then. I want to go back and become a king of a country, preferably not France.

Why don't you move to Tonga and marry the Tongan princess? Now she is a big girl, but you two would make a lovely couple. Then you can become King.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:

No, like the guy I had a couple of weeks ago, who knows all about conspiracy, all about politics, all about what is wrong with the world, all about what's wrong with kids these days, all about what's wrong with public transport and education and hospitals.

But... He is a taxi driver.... makes me laugh but good luck to him.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

No, like the guy I had a couple of weeks ago, who knows all about conspiracy, all about politics, all about what is wrong with the world, all about what's wrong with kids these days, all about what's wrong with public transport and education and hospitals.

But... He is a taxi driver.... makes me laugh but good luck to him.

ill just let you out here amd make you walk the rest of the way home i think. 8-)

oh and i dont think there anything wrong with kids these days. as for conspiracies.... let me tell you what i heard.....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited October 2010
    It's definitely a time traveler, but what I find unbelievable is, how the hell are they getting any reception? :lol:
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    pjfan31 wrote:

Why don't you move to Tonga and marry the Tongan princess? Now she is a big girl, but you two would make a lovely couple. Then you can become King.
    Apparently they're turning into a constitutional monarchy and I would prefer to be absolute.
  • dammit! I told Marty not to let his Gramma play with the flux capacitor!!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    It's definitely a time traveler, but I find unbelievable is, how the hell are they getting any reception? :lol:

Clearly not an att customer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Way to ruin my dreams of absolute power. Now I'm going to have to go to school for engineering and build myself a Death Star.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Way to ruin my dreams of absolute power. Now I'm going to have to go to school for engineering and build myself a Death Star.

Time travel to the future might still be possible. Then go into the future to the point where they invent time travel into the past, then your dreams will come back to life....but for now you're doomed.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • wow this is some bizarre stuff.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...

Time travel to the future might still be possible. Then go into the future to the point where they invent time travel into the past, then your dreams will come back to life....but for now you're doomed.

how can you time travel to some place that doesnt exist yet??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • time travel only exists in the context of time being a relative entity.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870

From everyone's "go-to" time travel resource guide, Wikipedia:

Time travel to the future in physics

Twin paradox diagramThere are various ways in which a person could "travel into the future" in a limited sense: the person could set things up so that in a small amount of his own subjective time, a large amount of subjective time has passed for other people on Earth. For example, an observer might take a trip away from the Earth and back at relativistic velocities, with the trip only lasting a few years according to the observer's own clocks, and return to find that thousands of years had passed on Earth. It should be noted, though, that according to relativity there is no objective answer to the question of how much time "really" passed during the trip; it would be equally valid to say that the trip had lasted only a few years or that the trip had lasted thousands of years, depending on your choice of reference frame.

This form of "travel into the future" is theoretically allowed (and has been demonstrated at very small time scales) using the following methods:[22]

Using velocity-based time dilation under the theory of special relativity, for instance:
    Traveling at almost the speed of light to a distant star, then slowing down, turning around, and traveling at almost the speed of light back to Earth[48] (see the Twin paradox)
    Using gravitational time dilation under the theory of general relativity, for instance:
    Residing inside of a hollow, high-mass object;
    Residing just outside of the event horizon of a black hole, or sufficiently near an object whose mass or density causes the gravitational time dilation near it to be larger than the time dilation factor on Earth.
    Additionally, it might be possible to see the distant future of the Earth using methods which do not involve relativity at all, although it is even more debatable whether these should be deemed a form of "time travel":
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • pjfan31 wrote:

my first guess would be some kind of walkie talkie. second, could just be a crazy person talking with their hand up to their ear. could be a guy in drag, but there was such a thing as ugly, manly-like women back then.
    also, the whole video could be a hoax meant to stir up fun on youtube.

Twin paradox diagramThere are various ways in which a person could "travel into the future" in a limited sense: the person could set things up so that in a small amount of his own subjective time, a large amount of subjective time has passed for other people on Earth. For example, an observer might take a trip away from the Earth and back at relativistic velocities, with the trip only lasting a few years according to the observer's own clocks, and return to find that thousands of years had passed on Earth. It should be noted, though, that according to relativity there is no objective answer to the question of how much time "really" passed during the trip; it would be equally valid to say that the trip had lasted only a few years or that the trip had lasted thousands of years, depending on your choice of reference frame.

This form of "travel into the future" is theoretically allowed (and has been demonstrated at very small time scales) using the following methods:[22]

Using velocity-based time dilation under the theory of special relativity, for instance:
    Traveling at almost the speed of light to a distant star, then slowing down, turning around, and traveling at almost the speed of light back to Earth[48] (see the Twin paradox)
    Using gravitational time dilation under the theory of general relativity, for instance:
    Residing just outside of the event horizon of a black hole, or sufficiently near an object whose mass or density causes the gravitational time dilation near it to be larger than the time dilation factor on Earth.
    Additionally, it might be possible to see the distant future of the Earth using methods which do not involve relativity at all, although it is even more debatable whether these should be deemed a form of "time travel":

you hurt my head.
    but i have to tell you.. i have travelled into the future. for me february 29th 2008 didnt exist. i went from 28th feb straight to march 1st. admittedly i was crossing the pacific ocean from east to west at the time but still... thats a day ill never get back. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • exactly. like I said (much simpler! ;) ) :relativity.

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    I don't see anything, it looks to me like she's just scratching her head.
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358

Me thinks some company should be suing Apple over the design of the Ipod. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • it's a primitive hearing aid.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if it was indeed a time traveler with a cell phone - it would mean that there were cell phone towers back then ... not possible to create the infrastructure needed to use cell phones ...
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    Maybe the more important question is, WHO are they talking to?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    If you pay attention you can actually read his/her lips...

He/She clearly says...

Can you hear me now?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • You people are not thinking 4th dimensionally!

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Is that J Edgar Hoover?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self