Why do businesses close their blinds/drapes and curtains?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
my apartment overlooks a home/life/car insurance companies building. its a fairly small operation it seems by the size of the building. anyways, when i eat dinner my table faces the building and i see the owners close all the blinds of their building/office and close all the drapes. they bring a huge cover thing that makes the door, which is glass, totally covered and you cant see in. The building/office is enclosed in a locked fence system that they lock up when they leave

my question is what is the use and point of closing the blinds/drapes/curtains of a business? One could argue its for security reasons, but why? Is it to let customers know they are closed? Its kind of obvious at least to me, many business's are 9 to 5 operations especially an insurance company.

Ive seen this done in many other offices and businesses. I dont get the logic.
Whats the motivation for closing blinds and windows and drapes and curtains of a business when you close up for the day?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JS81606JS81606 Posts: 73
    1. What does the secretary look like?
    2. Is the boss, CEO, or owner married and in a mid life crisis?
    3. Is there a back door not gated/fenced that reveals comings and goings of unknown natures?
    4. Maybe businesses just like to have privacy when finishing up the day.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Go ask
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    well i see an 'open' window as a temptation. dont want just anyone seeing what 'goodies' are inside. makes it more difficult to case.

same as when people close their blinds when they go to sleep. i know they close them at night so peeps cant see in but why leave them closed when you go to bed??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JS81606 wrote:
    1. What does the secretary look like?
    2. Is the boss, CEO, or owner married and in a mid life crisis?
    3. Is there a back door not gated/fenced that reveals comings and goings of unknown natures?
    4. Maybe businesses just like to have privacy when finishing up the day.

privacy for what? Doors are obviously locked, i assume theirs a alarm system. as i said theirs a locked gate. Do they think people are gonna be peering in the window at 3am in the morning or something? By God, we wouldnt want some loon walking around peering into a dark, desolate, empty office building!

its not that they want privacy. if they want to close their blinds right before they leave to have 30 minutes where the public cant see them or something, thats one thing. its another to close the blinds all night, to keep them closed even after they leave.

what use is it? Whats the purpose? Anyone who is inclined to peer into windows of a business at 3am is clearly not going to be stopped or impeeded by closed blinds!
  • well i see an 'open' window as a temptation. dont want just anyone seeing what 'goodies' are inside. makes it more difficult to case.

same as when people close their blinds when they go to sleep. i know they close them at night so peeps cant see in but why leave them closed when you go to bed??

Say the shutters/blinds/curtains were open all night, and people could see into a business, or in this case an insurance office. So what? As I said, if there is money around it sure as hell isnt going to be out in the open to see. I just dont really get it. If someone wants to break into a building or business closing blinds is sort of a non measure to take. its like being scared of the boogie monster or a kidnapper and remedying that by brushing ones teeth. it makes little sense
  • closing the blinds of your house or closing the shutters to your bedroom window is dufferent than closing them for a business. for one, i assume no one sleeps in the office of an insurance company overnight. people are not involved in this equation.
    well i see an 'open' window as a temptation. dont want just anyone seeing what 'goodies' are inside. makes it more difficult to case.

Say the shutters/blinds/curtains were open all night, and people could see into a business, or in this case an insurance office. So what? As I said, if there is money around it sure as hell isnt going to be out in the open to see. I just dont really get it. If someone wants to break into a building or business closing blinds is sort of a non measure to take. its like being scared of the boogie monster or a kidnapper and remedying that by brushing ones teeth. it makes little sense

i wasnt even thinking about money. i was more thinking office equipment.. stuff that can be easily fenced. what you cant see you need to make assumptions about.

oh and it makes way more sense than brushing ones teeth to ward off the boogie monster.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I see a reoccuring obsession with security here.... ;)
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    closing the blinds of your house or closing the shutters to your bedroom window is dufferent than closing them for a business. for one, i assume no one sleeps in the office of an insurance company overnight. people are not involved in this equation.

did you read my entire post?? did you see where i said i understand why people draw their curtains and blinds whilst theyre awake but questioned why keep them closed after bedtime?? theres no people in the living room is there??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • i guess my point is the type of people who break into businesses and steal money, information, equiptment whatever, they probably, realistically arent going to be stopped by the blinds and shutters being closed. One could i guess maybe say the closing of the blinds makes it so potential burgulars dont know if anyone is in an office or not, but again, i dont think many criminals burgle a business at 3pm. they do it at 2am or 3am like i said, when its obvious no one is around.
    well lets put it down to habit then shall we?? 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Because what's the point of having curtains if you don't close the fuckers?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    this dude starts the oddest threads :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    this dude starts the oddest threads :lol:
    +1

:lol::lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you