The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

1636465666769»

Comments

  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there.Posts: 37,334
    edited June 9
    I still think he needs another year. Oh well.

    That black jersey can leave too if it wants...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    edited June 19
    Nova keeps on keeping on with this Verbal Commit. 



    I've seen him play a few times and he's really good. About 6' 8" with length. Does everything really well, expect a consistent 3-point shot. But I think will come.

    In the article Jay Gomes of NJ Hoops is pretty much what I think of him. But, I don't think he's quite what Al Harrington was in HS. I may have to give Jay some shit for that>LOL. He does have another year of HS though. so we'll see.

    Trey Patterson, Rutgers Prep basketball star, picks Villanova

    Jerry Carino, Asbury Park PressPublished 7:00 p.m. ET June 18, 2020 | Updated 7:07 p.m. ET June 18, 2020


    The Class of 2021 forward should fit right in with the Wildcats' culture.
    CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

    Rutgers Prep runs from kindergarten to 12th grade, and around the campus, even the toddlers know Trey Patterson.

    Of course, at 6-foot-8, the basketball star is easily recognizable. But he’s also personable.

    “Those interactions sum him up,” Argonauts coach Matt Bloom said. “He’s a tremendous student-athlete, but the fact that the 3- and 4-year-olds know him by name tells you everything you need to know.”

    They’ll know him by name in the Philadelphia area soon. Patterson, who just finished up his junior year, announced his commitment to Villanova University Thursday. He chose the Wildcats over Florida and Indiana. Rutgers also was in the running for a while.

    Rutgers Preps Trey Patterson No 3 drives to the basket against Gill St Bernards in February

    Rutgers Prep's Trey Patterson (No. 3) drives to the basket against Gill St. Bernard's in February. (Photo: Alexander Lewis / MyCentralJerse, Alexander Lewis / MyCentralJerse)

    “That’s a good spot for him,” said Jay Gomes, publisher of NJHoops.com and the Garden State’s foremost talent evaluator. “I don’t think he’s one of these kids who has to go in there and be the man, and then it doesn’t work out. He’ll accept his role and work hard — and his role will increase.”

    “You’re getting a hard-working, drive kid who is going to compete and hopefully bring back another national championship for Villanova.”

    Patterson is coming off a sensational season. He averaged 19.8 points, 10.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game to lead Rutgers Prep a 27-2 record and its first Somerset County Tournament title since 1983. The Argonauts reached the sectional finals of the state tournament before falling to powerhouse Wildwood Catholic.

    “He competes very hard,” Gomes said. “He doesn’t coast on his ability. A lot of kids don’t learn to adjust their competitiveness (as they move up the ranks). He’s ratcheted up his motor.”

    Patterson, who hails from Somerset, is rated four stars and ranked as the No. 34 prospect in the Class of 2021 by 247Sports.com. He projects as a power forward on the next level — for now.

    “He’s a decent 3-point shooter and he puts the ball on the floor,” Gomes said. “I wouldn’t say he’s a wing yet, but in another year or two he could be.”

    Villanova, of course, has had great success with forwards who developed guard skills. Saddiq Bey, who is expected to be chosen in the first round of October's NBA Draft, is the latest example.

    “I feel like I can fit into their style very well,” Patterson said during his announcement on YouTube. “Over the past couple of years they’ve done an excellent job with players of my type. They know how to develop kids in order to reach their goals and reach the next level.”

    Gomes said his game is reminiscent of Al Harrington, the former St. Patrick superstar who jumped straight to the NBA in 1998. 

    “The word that comes to mind is versatility,” said Bloom, a former college basketball operations staffer at Rutgers University and La Salle. “He’s a matchup problem for any opponent. He’s at his best when he rebounds above the rim and pushes it in transition, and that’s where basketball is headed.”

    In closing out his announcement, Patterson delivered a message to Villanova fans.

    “You’re getting a hard-working, drive kid who is going to compete and hopefully bring back another national championship for Villanova," he said. 


    Post edited by cutz on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there.Posts: 37,334
    cutz said:
    Nova keeps on keeping on with this Verbal Commit. 



    I've seen him play a few times and he's really good. About 6' 8" with length. Does everything really well, expect a consistent 3-point shot. But I think will come.

    In the article Jay Gomes of NJ Hoops is pretty much what I think of him. But, I don't think he's quite what Al Harrington was in HS. I may have to give Jay some shit for that>LOL. He does have another year of HS though. so we'll see.

    Trey Patterson, Rutgers Prep basketball star, picks Villanova

    Jerry Carino, Asbury Park PressPublished 7:00 p.m. ET June 18, 2020 | Updated 7:07 p.m. ET June 18, 2020


    The Class of 2021 forward should fit right in with the Wildcats' culture.
    CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

    Rutgers Prep runs from kindergarten to 12th grade, and around the campus, even the toddlers know Trey Patterson.

    Of course, at 6-foot-8, the basketball star is easily recognizable. But he’s also personable.

    “Those interactions sum him up,” Argonauts coach Matt Bloom said. “He’s a tremendous student-athlete, but the fact that the 3- and 4-year-olds know him by name tells you everything you need to know.”

    They’ll know him by name in the Philadelphia area soon. Patterson, who just finished up his junior year, announced his commitment to Villanova University Thursday. He chose the Wildcats over Florida and Indiana. Rutgers also was in the running for a while.

    Rutgers Preps Trey Patterson No 3 drives to the basket against Gill St Bernards in February

    Rutgers Prep's Trey Patterson (No. 3) drives to the basket against Gill St. Bernard's in February. (Photo: Alexander Lewis / MyCentralJerse, Alexander Lewis / MyCentralJerse)

    “That’s a good spot for him,” said Jay Gomes, publisher of NJHoops.com and the Garden State’s foremost talent evaluator. “I don’t think he’s one of these kids who has to go in there and be the man, and then it doesn’t work out. He’ll accept his role and work hard — and his role will increase.”

    “You’re getting a hard-working, drive kid who is going to compete and hopefully bring back another national championship for Villanova.”

    Patterson is coming off a sensational season. He averaged 19.8 points, 10.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game to lead Rutgers Prep a 27-2 record and its first Somerset County Tournament title since 1983. The Argonauts reached the sectional finals of the state tournament before falling to powerhouse Wildwood Catholic.

    “He competes very hard,” Gomes said. “He doesn’t coast on his ability. A lot of kids don’t learn to adjust their competitiveness (as they move up the ranks). He’s ratcheted up his motor.”

    Patterson, who hails from Somerset, is rated four stars and ranked as the No. 34 prospect in the Class of 2021 by 247Sports.com. He projects as a power forward on the next level — for now.

    “He’s a decent 3-point shooter and he puts the ball on the floor,” Gomes said. “I wouldn’t say he’s a wing yet, but in another year or two he could be.”

    Villanova, of course, has had great success with forwards who developed guard skills. Saddiq Bey, who is expected to be chosen in the first round of October's NBA Draft, is the latest example.

    “I feel like I can fit into their style very well,” Patterson said during his announcement on YouTube. “Over the past couple of years they’ve done an excellent job with players of my type. They know how to develop kids in order to reach their goals and reach the next level.”

    Gomes said his game is reminiscent of Al Harrington, the former St. Patrick superstar who jumped straight to the NBA in 1998. 

    “The word that comes to mind is versatility,” said Bloom, a former college basketball operations staffer at Rutgers University and La Salle. “He’s a matchup problem for any opponent. He’s at his best when he rebounds above the rim and pushes it in transition, and that’s where basketball is headed.”

    In closing out his announcement, Patterson delivered a message to Villanova fans.

    “You’re getting a hard-working, drive kid who is going to compete and hopefully bring back another national championship for Villanova," he said. 


    Certainly good news here. Thanks
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there.Posts: 37,334
    cutz said:
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


    The rich get richer
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    cutz said:
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


    The rich get richer
    Like I said, one of my friends said he's really good and he has a reason to know.

    I see Nova in the running for 2 Point Guards for the '21 Class. BOTH are very good and Local (Philly & Reading)

    I'd like to see them get the shooting guard (Trevor keels) from Paul VI (VA.)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 10,425
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


    The rich get richer
    Like I said, one of my friends said he's really good and he has a reason to know.

    I see Nova in the running for 2 Point Guards for the '21 Class. BOTH are very good and Local (Philly & Reading)

    I'd like to see them get the shooting guard (Trevor keels) from Paul VI (VA.)
    Diggins from Wood makes his decision on Sunday. Seems like nova likes a few others Over him but who knows.  Stevie Mitchell to Temple?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


    The rich get richer
    Like I said, one of my friends said he's really good and he has a reason to know.

    I see Nova in the running for 2 Point Guards for the '21 Class. BOTH are very good and Local (Philly & Reading)

    I'd like to see them get the shooting guard (Trevor keels) from Paul VI (VA.)
    Diggins from Wood makes his decision on Sunday. Seems like nova likes a few others Over him but who knows.  Stevie Mitchell to Temple?
    Thanks, as I didn't know Diggins was giving his Verbal on Sunday. Not sure but I think Nova offered later than Florida but that doesn't always mean anything. Maybe Gillespie is in his ear>HA. We shall see tomorrow.

    I've only seen Stevie Mitchell play a couple of times but I think that would be a great Get for Temple. Nova may like him more than Diggins? 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    edited July 26
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


    The rich get richer
    Like I said, one of my friends said he's really good and he has a reason to know.

    I see Nova in the running for 2 Point Guards for the '21 Class. BOTH are very good and Local (Philly & Reading)

    I'd like to see them get the shooting guard (Trevor keels) from Paul VI (VA.)
    Diggins from Wood makes his decision on Sunday. Seems like nova likes a few others Over him but who knows.  Stevie Mitchell to Temple?
    Thanks, as I didn't know Diggins was giving his Verbal on Sunday. Not sure but I think Nova offered later than Florida but that doesn't always mean anything. Maybe Gillespie is in his ear>HA. We shall see tomorrow.

    I've only seen Stevie Mitchell play a couple of times but I think that would be a great Get for Temple. Nova may like him more than Diggins? 
    The word I'm getting from my friend is, he thinks Diggins will Verbal to UCONN. He was right on Longino.

    We shall see .
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 10,425
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


    The rich get richer
    Like I said, one of my friends said he's really good and he has a reason to know.

    I see Nova in the running for 2 Point Guards for the '21 Class. BOTH are very good and Local (Philly & Reading)

    I'd like to see them get the shooting guard (Trevor keels) from Paul VI (VA.)
    Diggins from Wood makes his decision on Sunday. Seems like nova likes a few others Over him but who knows.  Stevie Mitchell to Temple?
    Thanks, as I didn't know Diggins was giving his Verbal on Sunday. Not sure but I think Nova offered later than Florida but that doesn't always mean anything. Maybe Gillespie is in his ear>HA. We shall see tomorrow.

    I've only seen Stevie Mitchell play a couple of times but I think that would be a great Get for Temple. Nova may like him more than Diggins? 
    The word I'm getting from my friend is, he thinks Diggins will Verbal to UCONN. He was right on Longino.

    We shall see .
    Yea Hawks message board seems to think Diggins is a UConn lock.   Mitchell's parents both went to Temple and his mom played ball when McKie was there so there are some ties there.  
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    One of the few stud players in the area I haven't seen play. Friends who've seen him play like him.


    The rich get richer
    Like I said, one of my friends said he's really good and he has a reason to know.

    I see Nova in the running for 2 Point Guards for the '21 Class. BOTH are very good and Local (Philly & Reading)

    I'd like to see them get the shooting guard (Trevor keels) from Paul VI (VA.)
    Diggins from Wood makes his decision on Sunday. Seems like nova likes a few others Over him but who knows.  Stevie Mitchell to Temple?
    Thanks, as I didn't know Diggins was giving his Verbal on Sunday. Not sure but I think Nova offered later than Florida but that doesn't always mean anything. Maybe Gillespie is in his ear>HA. We shall see tomorrow.

    I've only seen Stevie Mitchell play a couple of times but I think that would be a great Get for Temple. Nova may like him more than Diggins? 
    The word I'm getting from my friend is, he thinks Diggins will Verbal to UCONN. He was right on Longino.

    We shall see .
    Yea Hawks message board seems to think Diggins is a UConn lock.   Mitchell's parents both went to Temple and his mom played ball when McKie was there so there are some ties there.  
    That is interesting info on Mitchell. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there.Posts: 37,334
    cutz said:
    Welp. I guess I’m gonna hate this kid. Like having UCONN back in the conference though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 10,425
    cutz said:
    Welp. I guess I’m gonna hate this kid. Like having UCONN back in the conference though. 
    He had a nova offer but I’ve seen some talk that nova has their sights on other point guards over Diggins.  They are big on a kid named brizzi who is getting a lot of big looks

    Wait until you realize how much you are gonna hate Danny Hurley.  He is the biggest asshole on the sideline in the country. Very unlikeable 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    edited July 27
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Welp. I guess I’m gonna hate this kid. Like having UCONN back in the conference though. 
    He had a nova offer but I’ve seen some talk that nova has their sights on other point guards over Diggins.  They are big on a kid named brizzi who is getting a lot of big looks

    Wait until you realize how much you are gonna hate Danny Hurley.  He is the biggest asshole on the sideline in the country. Very unlikeable 
    Yes, Danny Hurley is too much on the sideline when he's coaching. I think he's a good coach though.  I'm sure Nova players/fans will remember that quote from Diggins.

    Nova recruiting Stevie Mitchell too. I haven't seen Brizzi play at all. In fact I never knew about him until recently. I'll ask my friend if he has. No, he hasn't seen him play.

    Brizzi list :

    Class of 2021 guard Angelo Brizzi set to announce Monday

    Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
    By JACOB POLACHECK

    Class of 2021 point guard Angelo Brizzi will announce his college decision on Monday at 7 p.m. EST, he tells ZAGSBLOG.

    Brizzi, the 6-foot-3, 170-pound point guard from Highland (VA), recently named Arizona, Villanova, Michigan, California, Northwestern, Colorado, Dartmouth and Davidson as his top eight schools earlier this month.

    He broke down each school for ZAGSBLOG earlier this month:

    Arizona: ​“Another school that produces good point guards and coach [SeanMiller knows how to use the guards he brings into the program.”

    Villanova: ​“Villanova has been one of the top programs nationally over the past few years and does great with their guards.”

    Michigan: ​“A great academic and athletic school. The staff is great.”

    California: “​They are a top-tier academic institution and the chance to play in the Pac-12 would be very cool.”

    Colorado: ​“Playing in the Pac-12 would be awesome and I’ve really enjoyed speaking with the entire staff.”

    Dartmouth: ​“The Ivy League aspect is very attractive to me, they have great academics.”

    Davidson: ​“Having the chance to lead a program, and coach [BobMcKillop has done a very good job with guards in the past, such as Stephen Curry.”

    Northwestern: “I really like their campus and their staff!”

    According to 247Sports.com, Brizzi is ranked as the No. 19 point guard and No. 128 overall player in the Class of 2021.

    “I feel that I have a really strong ability to shoot from range off the dribble and off the catch as well,” he said.





    Brizzi is suppose to announce tonight and here's one Service predictions (All predicting Nova): 

    • Lead Experts
    • 2021 Accuracy
    • All-Time
    • Prediction
    • Confidence
    • Travis Branham247Sports247Sports Basketball Analyst
      11 / 11 (100.00%)
      24 / 25 (96.00%)
      NOVA
      7/21/2012:22 PM
      7HIGH
    • Brian Snow247SportsNational Basketball Analyst
      27 / 29 (93.10%)
      230 / 245 (93.88%)
      NOVA
      7/21/2012:28 PM
      7HIGH
    • Josh Gershon247SportsNational Recruiting Analyst
      17 / 17 (100.00%)
      213 / 227 (93.83%)
      NOVA
      7/21/201:14 PM
    • Jerry Meyer247SportsDirector of Basketball Scouting
      17 / 19 (89.47%)
      1025 / 1357 (75.53%)
      NOVA
      7/24/201:04 PM
      7HIGH
    • Experts
    • 2021 Accuracy
    • All-Time
    • Prediction
    • Confidence
    • Sam WebbTheMichiganInsider.comMichigan Insider
      4 / 4 (100.00%)
      128 / 136 (94.12%)
      NOVA
      7/24/202:30 PM
      7HIGH
    • Josh HenschkeTheMichiganInsider.comManaging Editor, TheMichiganInsider.com
      5 / 5 (100.00%)
      45 / 51 (88.24%)
      NOVA
      7/24/202:16 PM
      6MED
    • Chris FisherCatsPauseRecruiting Insider
      5 / 5 (100.00%)
      773 / 1061 (72.86%)
      NOVA
      7/24/201:43 PM
      7HIGH
    • Steve NewhouseWeAreDePaul.comDePaul Insider
      9 / 9 (100.00%)
      32 / 37 (86.49%)
      NOVA
      7/24/2010:44 AM
      7HIGH
    • Chad LykinsThe Devils DenContributor
      11 / 11 (100.00%)
      513 / 694 (73.92%)
      NOVA
      7/22/2012:06 AM
      7HIGH
    • Jason ScheerWildcatAuthority.comArizona Insider
      2 / 2 (100.00%)
      307 / 352 (87.22%)
      NOVA
      7/21/2011:27 PM
      7HIGH

    Post edited by cutz on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256


    https://www.vuhoops.com/2020/7/27/21333510/villanova-basketball-recruiting-2021-angelo-brizzi-commitment

    Angelo Brizzi commits to Villanova

    Jay Wright gets his man in the backcourt.

    By Chris Lane@chrisjjlane  Jul 27, 2020, 7:04pm EDT

    Jay Wright and the Villanova Wildcats staff landed another big pledge when 3-star guard Angelo Brizzi verballed on Monday evening.



    Brizzi came onto the national radar this Spring right as the pandemic began, which probably doesn’t do his #117 national ranking justice. Even with the AAU season cancelled, Brizzi has collected offers from Villanova, Arizona, Michigan, Georgetown, LSU, Wake Forest and California after mostly being on the mid-major range entering the Spring.

    Brizzi attends Highland (Va.) and has good size for the backcourt at 6’3”. He’s already a plus shooter and passer and isn’t afraid to attack the rim or pull up from anywhere as one of the top shooters in the class. He also shows off a great demeanor and attitude on the court which likely sold the Wildcats staff on him even without the traditional recruiting process. They were one of the first high major schools to offer him and it has paid off in kind.

    With Brizzi’s commitment, Villanova can now turn its focus squarely on Trevor Keels to round out their 2021 recruiting class.

    Welcome to ‘Nova Nation, Angelo!




  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256

  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 10,425
    cutz said:


    https://www.vuhoops.com/2020/7/27/21333510/villanova-basketball-recruiting-2021-angelo-brizzi-commitment

    Angelo Brizzi commits to Villanova

    Jay Wright gets his man in the backcourt.

    By Chris Lane@chrisjjlane  Jul 27, 2020, 7:04pm EDT

    Jay Wright and the Villanova Wildcats staff landed another big pledge when 3-star guard Angelo Brizzi verballed on Monday evening.



    Brizzi came onto the national radar this Spring right as the pandemic began, which probably doesn’t do his #117 national ranking justice. Even with the AAU season cancelled, Brizzi has collected offers from Villanova, Arizona, Michigan, Georgetown, LSU, Wake Forest and California after mostly being on the mid-major range entering the Spring.

    Brizzi attends Highland (Va.) and has good size for the backcourt at 6’3”. He’s already a plus shooter and passer and isn’t afraid to attack the rim or pull up from anywhere as one of the top shooters in the class. He also shows off a great demeanor and attitude on the court which likely sold the Wildcats staff on him even without the traditional recruiting process. They were one of the first high major schools to offer him and it has paid off in kind.

    With Brizzi’s commitment, Villanova can now turn its focus squarely on Trevor Keels to round out their 2021 recruiting class.

    Welcome to ‘Nova Nation, Angelo!




    had seen some video of this kid back in the spring looked like a knock down shooter.  seems like a big time class for Jay.  now just need him to go to the Sixers....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there.Posts: 37,334
    The rich get richer...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    edited August 2
    Jalen Warley of Westtown HS making his decision next Sunday(9th). He's from Norristown.

    One website has Temple on his list but the word I'm getting from my friend is he's hearing Michigan(Phil Martelli recruiting)


    EDIT: Now my friend is hearing from another source telling him it's going to be Florida State. We shall see.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 10,425
    cutz said:
    Jalen Warley of Westtown HS making his decision next Sunday(9th). He's from Norristown.

    One website has Temple on his list but the word I'm getting from my friend is he's hearing Michigan(Phil Martelli recruiting)


    EDIT: Now my friend is hearing from another source telling him it's going to be Florida State. We shall see.
    Yea saw on twitter Warley rumors to Florida state. Stevie Mitchell to Marquette:  crazy all these Philly dudes leaving, I’m sure at least one will transfer back at some point
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    edited August 4
    Hysier Miller for Meuman-Goretti is suppose to announce this Friday. My friend thinks/guessing he's going to pick Temple. 

    I've seen Miller play a few times and I like him for Temple(IF he goes). Philly Tough Player who can score.

    Stevie Mitchell to Marquette.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 9,256
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Jalen Warley of Westtown HS making his decision next Sunday(9th). He's from Norristown.

    One website has Temple on his list but the word I'm getting from my friend is he's hearing Michigan(Phil Martelli recruiting)


    EDIT: Now my friend is hearing from another source telling him it's going to be Florida State. We shall see.
    Yea saw on twitter Warley rumors to Florida state. Stevie Mitchell to Marquette:  crazy all these Philly dudes leaving, I’m sure at least one will transfer back at some point
    Warley did commit to FSU
Sign In or Register to comment.