Anyone read Leaves of Grass?

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
We're about to read some of the poems from this book and I've heard a lot of things about this book. My cousin highly recommends this book, being that it's his favorite book.

Has anyone read the book?
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Yes, although it's been many years. I like Whitman's poetry. I guess whether or not you'll like it depends on whether you like to read poetry in the first place. Then you might like his stuff.

Whitman lived a long life during a century that saw explosive changes. One of the things that strongly affected him (and his poetry) was volunteering in Washington, DC hospitals during the Civil War. I also enjoyed reading The Sacrificial Years, which is a collection of his letters and notes written during the Civil War.

Let us know how you like it!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Yes, although it's been many years. I like Whitman's poetry. I guess whether or not you'll like it depends on whether you like to read poetry in the first place. Then you might like his stuff.

Whitman lived a long life during a century that saw explosive changes. One of the things that strongly affected him (and his poetry) was volunteering in Washington, DC hospitals during the Civil War. I also enjoyed reading The Sacrificial Years, which is a collection of his letters and notes written during the Civil War.

Let us know how you like it!
    Thanks. I probably won't end up reading it until Christmas break. But I will let you know what I think of the poems that we have to read for class.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • One of my fave lines ever is from that book.
    One of my fave lines ever is from that book.
    And that would be...
  • as much as i gotta say i hate major corporations coopting politics or music or whathaveyou, they levi commercials which feature excerpts of leaves, and even feature one with whitman actually talking are some of the most powerful ads ive ever seen.

his language is gorgeous.
  • oh you youths, western youths, so impatient, full of action...

THATS ME!!!
  • Newch91 wrote:
    One of my fave lines ever is from that book.
    And that would be...

I guess I should have included that :lol:

Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
    Missing me one place search another,
    I stop some where waiting for you.
    From the poems I've read for school, it's amazing that Whitman's mind was in the 20th century while he was in the 19th century. Whitman rules!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,853
    Newch91 wrote:
    From the poems I've read for school, it's amazing that Whitman's mind was in the 20th century while he was in the 19th century. Whitman rules!
    if you like whitman
    try some thoreau-his essays are something else-and every person should read civil disobedience