Alcohol and Sleep

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So I've read drinking alcohol before bed is bad for getting REM sleep.. You fall asleep quicker, but the quality isn't as good.

For years now I've been drinking about three glasses of red wine before bed. I might be a borderline alcoholic. I never get drunk, but am dependent on it to fall asleep. I fall asleep right away, but wake up multiple times through out the night.

Yesterday I decided to make a commitment not to drink during the week anymore, or at least try it for a few weeks and see if I begin to sleep better again. Last night was the first night without a drink in over a year.. and I slept shitty.

Has anyone else ever found themselves with this problem? Not heavy drinkers, but people who have to have a few to fall asleep? I've gotten more and more dependent on it over the years. It started off as a few beers a few nights a week. When it became every night, I switched to red wine as a healthier choice. In times of high stress it's as much as a 4 or 5 glasses a night.

How long did it take you to adjust back to normal?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i drank 2-3 beers a night for about 7 years. sometimes more. generally, it was always higher alcohol beer, ie microbrew and not miller lite

at the end of august, i quit this ritual. it took me about 1.5-2 weeks to get it out of my system. it was brutal, although, i'm sure others here have had a way harder time. some nights i sleep great, other nights i toss and turn until 2am. in my case alcohol didn't really impact my ability to sleep. however, i feel more refreshed in the am now that i only have a couple of drinks a week now.

good luck. if you are anything like me, you will want to rip out your nerve endings in your arms.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:
    i drank 2-3 beers a night for about 7 years. sometimes more. generally, it was always higher alcohol beer, ie microbrew and not miller lite

at the end of august, i quit this ritual. it took me about 1.5-2 weeks to get it out of my system. it was brutal, although, i'm sure others here have had a way harder time. some nights i sleep great, other nights i toss and turn until 2am. in my case alcohol didn't really impact my ability to sleep. however, i feel more refreshed in the am now that i only have a couple of drinks a week now.

good luck. if you are anything like me, you will want to rip out your nerve endings in your arms.
    I just hope drinking on Fridays and Saturdays doesn't still mess me up for the week. I'm definitely not against drinking. I like to go out and enjoy alcohol.

The summer before last I went a week without drinking. I was with family on vacation in the middle of nowhere, and while I barely slept the first few nights without alcohol, I remember feeling really refreshed by the end of the week.

I get on and off really bad insomnia and I'll take a shitty night of sleep over no sleep any day.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    So I've read drinking alcohol before bed is bad for getting REM sleep.. You fall asleep quicker, but the quality isn't as good.

For years now I've been drinking about three glasses of red wine before bed. I might be a borderline alcoholic. I never get drunk, but am dependent on it to fall asleep. I fall asleep right away, but wake up multiple times through out the night.

Yesterday I decided to make a commitment not to drink during the week anymore, or at least try it for a few weeks and see if I begin to sleep better again. Last night was the first night without a drink in over a year.. and I slept shitty.

Has anyone else ever found themselves with this problem? Not heavy drinkers, but people who have to have a few to fall asleep? I've gotten more and more dependent on it over the years. It started off as a few beers a few nights a week. When it became every night, I switched to red wine as a healthier choice. In times of high stress it's as much as a 4 or 5 glasses a night.

How long did it take you to adjust back to normal?

well ive never relied on drink to sleep but i know when i do drink, which is a lot of the time, i fall off to sleep quickly and its a deep sleep with no dreaming. its like a total shutdown. when i dont drink i get terribly anxious. this week i havent drank since last thursday and my sleep has been shitful. im waking up tired after what should be a decent length for me. i want to drink to stop the anxiety but i dont want to drink for the same reason. ive done the no drinking thing before and just when i get to that point where i think i could stay sober for a 'real' amount of time, i start drinking again. truth be told i dont want to be sober. it bores me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    .... I might be a borderline alcoholic. I never get drunk, but am dependent on it to fall asleep.
    ...... Not heavy drinkers, but people who have to have a few to fall asleep? I've gotten more and more dependent on it over the years. It beers a few nights a started off as a few week. When it became every night, I switched to red wine as a healthier choice. In times of high stress it's as much as a 4 or 5 glasses a night.....?

Not borderline... you have crossed the line. Look at highlighted words... I would suggest you get help. Not saying this in a nasty way. A doctor friend of mine had a detox clinic, working primarily with 'social' drinkers and 'smokers'. Those who 'needed' a drink or two/joint or two to be able to function as they wished - ie to relax, sleep, be sociable ('themselves' as some said). This is definitely an addiction, even if one isn't actually drunk (as we may define drunk - stumbling, being sick, etc.).

You said it yourself, after a week with no drink, you felt refreshed by the end of it.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    redrock wrote:
    .... I might be a borderline alcoholic. I never get drunk, but am dependent on it to fall asleep.
    ...... Not heavy drinkers, but people who have to have a few to fall asleep? I've gotten more and more dependent on it over the years. It beers a few nights a started off as a few week. When it became every night, I switched to red wine as a healthier choice. In times of high stress it's as much as a 4 or 5 glasses a night.....?

Not borderline... you have crossed the line. Look at highlighted words... I would suggest you get help. Not saying this in a nasty way. A doctor friend of mine had a detox clinic, working primarily with 'social' drinkers and 'smokers'. Those who 'needed' a drink or two/joint or two to be able to function as they wished - ie to relax, sleep, be sociable ('themselves' as some said). This is definitely an addiction, even if one isn't actually drunk (as we may define drunk - stumbling, being sick, etc.).

You said it yourself, after a week with no drink, you felt refreshed by the end of it.
    It's anxiety. I've had it since i was a child. G.A.D... All help is going to do is put me on another habit forming drug. A few drinks a day is doing nothing to interfere with my life. I'm just a health nut and want to know I'm getting the best sleep possible. I don't drink to relax or escape. If that were the case I'd be drunk all the time.. I drink so I'm not a mess the next day from no sleep.. so I can function at work and be in a good mood because I was able to doze off the night before.

Is it a habit, yes. But its far from doing any damage to my life or somebody else's.

I had really bad insomnia in my early 20s, before I even started to drink, so if anything, it has helped.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    redrock wrote:

It's anxiety. I've had it since i was a child. G.A.D... All help is going to do is put me on another habit forming drug. A few drinks a day is doing nothing to interfere with my life. I'm just a health nut and want to know I'm getting the best sleep possible. I don't drink to relax or escape. If that were the case I'd be drunk all the time.. I drink so I'm not a mess the next day from no sleep.. so I can function at work and be in a good mood because I was able to doze off the night before.

Is it a habit, yes. But its far from doing any damage to my life or somebody else's.

I had really bad insomnia in my early 20s, before I even started to drink, so if anything, it has helped.

It obviously does interfere - at least with your sleep!

You're saying you're a health nut - so I guess you exercise. Have you tried natural remedies? THey DO work! Though alcohol has a sedative effect and may help you to nod off, as you are well aware, it doesn't abode well for a good night's sleep as it disrupts your sleep patterns and especially REM sleep which is the restorative bit. That's why one usually doesn't feel refreshed when going to sleep on a drink or two. G.A.D. is an issue as well. I'msure you've looked at non-drug treatments for that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that alcohol DOES interfere with your sleep pattern and is not a solution if you want to wake up resfreshed. I understand you also have other issues that may need to be addressed before you can nod off naturally and get a good night's sleep.
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    After 20 years of heavy drinking( and drugs) i gave it all up about 5 years ago.
    Back then i also had sleeping problems,especially at the start of quiting
    But now i must say i sleep like a baby...and i feel a whole lot better....
    So it does affect your sleep. :( ...
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • The problem is you're using the wrong drugs. Alcohol is a poison and fucks up your body, mental health, sleep patterns, EVERYTHING. I drink occassionally but every night? No thanks... even if it is just a few I feel like shit for 24 hours. Living completely sober isn't the answer either and those AA people will try to convince you that you just need God to soothe your pain. I think the important thing to remember is MODERATION and DISCIPLINE. Every night is too much, especially when using alcohol. There are NATURAL way to achieve altered states of consciousness that won't mess you up like alcohol does.

And as far as sleep goes; EAT RIGHT and EXCERSIZE regularly (5 times per week) and you'll sleep like a baby. No caffeine after Noon. If that fails, get a prescription for Ambien. But DON'T combine that with alcohol... weird shit happens. Trust me. I've got stories...
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm in the age group of women, at least the ones I know, that don't sleep very well, not like when we were young.
    For me it seems seasonal...sounds odd but maybe a clue.
    Most of the time I fall asleep fine, its staying asleep thats the problem.
    My eyes open and my mind starts working.
    I love wine but try not to drink it everyday. Its good to take a few days break, it makes it more special, less of a routine.
    I disagree with prescription drugs, I would rather drink wine.
    I haven't found a difference in sleep unless its those times when I can not get to sleep then I know it would helped. Those are anxious worried times and they pass though wine or otherwise.
    I don't fight sleep, I get up and eventually dose in my chair.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    learn some deep breathing relaxation techniques

wont help you stay asleep, but they will help you relax and fall asleep

do not replace alcohol with other sleep aids

you need to control your anxiety internally to break the habit
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is going to take your body a few weeks before you might start to see the benifits.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22