Options

Why is Vs. cd orange?

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited August 2008 in The Porch
Don't know why i thought of this today? But, you know the PJ cd's usually match the artwork of the packaging, except Vs. It is just plain orange. Any ideas?
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    Don't know why i thought of this today? But, you know the PJ cd's usually match the artwork of the packaging, except Vs. It is just plain orange. Any ideas?

they're Syracuse fans.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Doesnt the orange disc match the color of "Pearl Jam" that is written on the front? I am pretty sure those are the same color, so it somewhat matches.

Btw I think that Orange is the perfect color for that CD....dont know why!
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    because nothing rhymes with Orange
    the Minions
  • Options
    orange is beautiful....Go Flyers!!!
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    orange is beautiful....Go Flyers!!!

All Auburn, All Orange - War Eagle

lol
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Anyone have the Mission Of Burma CD? Maybe it something to do with that band? http://www.themodernmusic.com/2006/02/pearl-jam-vs.html
    The title is a nod to Mission of Burma, whose 1983 LP Vs. was greatly admired by Vedder.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Brain Of E wrote:
    Why is Vs. cd orange?

Because Jim Boeheim had a huge influence on this album.
  • Options
    Eddie was surfing one day and as he was paddling out he looked up and saw the big hard sun, he wanted something to remind him of that moment, hence the orange cd.
    “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Because he is a fan of The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's Orange album.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    It glows in the dark!
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Because Jim Boeheim had a huge influence on this album.

boo-yah
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    because they like cheese doodles
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    cut them some slack, it was the early 90's.
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    cut them some slack, it was the early 90's.

well most of the early 90's cds look like the ten cd, you know with the song titles on them, but it seems to me that with vs. they were trying to do something different with the artwork, i just don't know what that is.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Because burnt orange was the only color left in the spectrum that was more god-awful than the mauve that was "Ten"!!!!
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    im sure you all know that when the cd first came out there was no title...it was a self titled cd... for the first few months ....4-5 months later the came up with the name VS...i have the first pressind LP and cd ... there is no title on it just pearl jam
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    .....big time FAN... club member since 96'.. i have been lookin and readin these post for years.....HELL if you cant beat them...join them......
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    they're Syracuse fans.

funny, I bought VS. at the Carousel Mall in Syracuse, on my 19th birthday, 10/19/93
  • Options
    funny, I bought VS. at the Carousel Mall in Syracuse, on my 19th birthday, 10/19/93

fuck that place. did you see they had another suicide last week? dude jumped from the sixth floor (100 feet). i hate that mall. haven't been there in years, will never go again.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:

For the same reason as a fucking Avocado was on the most recent one:

"why the fuck not?"
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    joe2468 wrote:
    im sure you all know that when the cd first came out there was no title...it was a self titled cd... for the first few months ....4-5 months later the came up with the name VS...i have the first pressind LP and cd ... there is no title on it just pearl jam
    I don't beleive that to be entirely true. The original name for the album was, "Five Against One." Then, at the last minute before printing they changed the name to "Vs." I do not think it was ever a self titled album. They just fucked up in changing the name at the zero hour, and the original mass run was printed sans title...and forever mistaken as a self titled album.

At least that is what I always thought.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I don't beleive that to be entirely true. The original name for the album was, "Five Against One." Then, at the last minute before printing they changed the name to "Vs." I do not think it was ever a self titled album. They just fucked up in changing the name at the zero hour, and the original mass run was printed sans title...and forever mistaken as a self titled album.

At least that is what I always thought.

Are the Eco-packs the ones that were messed up? I actually just put VS. in the car the other day and I was checking out the packaging and there's no title on the packaging.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Are the Eco-packs the ones that were messed up? I actually just put VS. in the car the other day and I was checking out the packaging and there's no title on the packaging.
    I have no idea. In fact, I am not sure if I have ever seen a Vs. album in any media format, with a title. Did they ever print them with a title?

I check in with both the LP and the CD, and neither has a title. But both the original pressings too.
  • Options
    By the way, I just popped the LP on the turn table and am cranking this album right now!! :D
  • Options
    nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    I always thought that since it was released in October of '93 that they decided to go with Halloween/Fall colors for the CD.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I have no idea. In fact, I am not sure if I have ever seen a Vs. album in any media format, with a title. Did they ever print them with a title?

I check in with both the LP and the CD, and neither has a title. But both the original pressings too.

I got mine the day it came out and still have the same copy. I'll have to check the actual disk later and report back.

edit: Well http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1212 shows the jewel case with and without the VS. on the spine. While the one I have is nameless http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=319
    NERDS!
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    it looks like an orange ???

why must there be a reason
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    I remember the day this cd came out! I set my alarm to be there right when the store opened. It's funny how PJ related stuff sticks in my brain but something my husband said 5 minutes ago, i can't remember :D
    “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    I got mine the day it came out and still have the same copy. I'll have to check the actual disk later and report back.

edit: Well http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1212 shows the jewel case with and without the VS. on the spine. While the one I have is nameless http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=319
    Good work, SOS!
  • Options
    I remember the day this cd came out! I set my alarm to be there right when the store opened. It's funny how PJ related stuff sticks in my brain but something my husband said 5 minutes ago, i can't remember :D
    I was just thinking the same thing, but wasn't gonna type it all out because listening to this album right now reminds me so clearly of the day and weeks and months that followed this albums release. i remember everything i was doing, who i was doing it with, and where we were doing it. The smells and sights of that time....as with all future Pearl Jam releases are marked like a timeline of my life.

Woah, that was a little deep. But I think you get my drift.