I don't care how vintage it is...

JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
edited October 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
2006 - Washington D.C.
2010 - Bristow, VA
2013 - Charlottesville, VA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I can buy a nice little house for that much!!! I agree. Not worth it for a guitar. Sorry.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
    yeah. I mean, I love guitars, but come on.
    2006 - Washington D.C.
    2010 - Bristow, VA
    2013 - Charlottesville, VA
  • Free shipping, nice!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you can't look at them as guitars in the normal context as most of them are not likely being bought in that context.

they're being bought and sold, in a lot of cases, by speculators as investments. and it isn't happening on ebay.

so look at in, for instance, the context of someone buying a small house for 110K and flipping it for 130 when the market picks up, for instance.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    she sure is a beauty tho isn't she?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • exhausted wrote:
    you can't look at them as guitars in the normal context as most of them are not likely being bought in that context.

they're being bought and sold, in a lot of cases, by speculators as investments. and it isn't happening on ebay.

so look at in, for instance, the context of someone buying a small house for 110K and flipping it for 130 when the market picks up, for instance.
    yes and the vintage guitar market has been more reliable than the stock market as an investment the last several years.

my friend's uncle is a vintage guitar dealer and his website says "don't invest in stocks, invest in headstocks"...

this guitar is that expensive because someone somewhere will buy it for that price. that value will increase every year. that is a certainty...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • First of all it prob is worth that. The 58 and 59 bursts can go for anywhere between 500k and a million. So I don't think this price is that outrageous at all. It is the original 57 goldtop!! Hey I think its a helluva lot better than payng that much for an action comics #1 or something.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • First of all it prob is worth that. The 58 and 59 bursts can go for anywhere between 500k and a million. So I don't think this price is that outrageous at all. It is the original 57 goldtop!! Hey I think its a helluva lot better than payng that much for an action comics #1 or something.
    Wow, I had no idea about the '58 and '59 prices.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Shit, if the case is original, it alone is worth several thousand dollars on the open market. And as the ad states, there were an estimated 598 goldtop LP's made in 1957. That means it's an icon AND extremely rare. It's unlikely that guitar will be played much in the entirety of it's remaining existence; it will probably get put in a hermetically-sealed, climate-controlled wall case and displayed in some private collection. If the universe is feeling generous, it might allow the guitar to be sold where it will be displayed publicly in a museum.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • That's something I don't understand. Maybe I'm crazy. What's the point of spending tons of money on something like that if you can't enjoy it. "Yeah, it has all original stuff and sounds great...but I never play it". I understand it can lose it's value or whatever but come on...
  • It's not much different than a collector vintage car, like a Ferrari 250, that gets driven maybe 20 miles per year. They're investments, which are also kinda cool to look at. Look at it this way: you can buy $100,000 in bonds or funds or stocks, OR you can put it into one of the coolest guitars ever made. They all have similar returns, but one makes you smile when you see it in a display case on your wall, and the other is stuck in some file drawer. Really, it's more like investing in art, like a painting or sculpture. And the investors view such pieces as specialized art. You could use it, play on it, and ultimately get more joy from the guitar than simply looking at it, but it would decrease in value proportionally to how much wear it's exposed to. Unless someone famous played it, a guitar that old is worth more in NOS condition than in worn condition, so that's the gamble.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It's not much different than a collector vintage car, like a Ferrari 250, that gets driven maybe 20 miles per year. They're investments, which are also kinda cool to look at. Look at it this way: you can buy $100,000 in bonds or funds or stocks, OR you can put it into one of the coolest guitars ever made. They all have similar returns, but one makes you smile when you see it in a display case on your wall, and the other is stuck in some file drawer. Really, it's more like investing in art, like a painting or sculpture. And the investors view such pieces as specialized art. You could use it, play on it, and ultimately get more joy from the guitar than simply looking at it, but it would decrease in value proportionally to how much wear it's exposed to. Unless someone famous played it, a guitar that old is worth more in NOS condition than in worn condition, so that's the gamble.
    Exactly... Now, seeing as all my 'regular' guitars are pretty much mint, I'd play something like that around the house... In my PJs... With no hard edges anywhere to be seen.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • It's not much different than a collector vintage car, like a Ferrari 250, that gets driven maybe 20 miles per year. They're investments, which are also kinda cool to look at. Look at it this way: you can buy $100,000 in bonds or funds or stocks, OR you can put it into one of the coolest guitars ever made. They all have similar returns, but one makes you smile when you see it in a display case on your wall, and the other is stuck in some file drawer. Really, it's more like investing in art, like a painting or sculpture. And the investors view such pieces as specialized art. You could use it, play on it, and ultimately get more joy from the guitar than simply looking at it, but it would decrease in value proportionally to how much wear it's exposed to. Unless someone famous played it, a guitar that old is worth more in NOS condition than in worn condition, so that's the gamble.
    I get what you're saying but I just think it's pointless, IMO....it's like buying the worlds best garlic chicken wings and then just starring at them...and now eating them...meanwhile, you're starving.

Okay, so it's not like that at all.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    That's something I don't understand. Maybe I'm crazy. What's the point of spending tons of money on something like that if you can't enjoy it. "Yeah, it has all original stuff and sounds great...but I never play it". I understand it can lose it's value or whatever but come on...

im with you.... No good unless you play it. Even if its occasionally i couldnt help myself!

Nice looking guitar.

ryanevo ... heres a '59. All original..
    I just called them as the price aint on the site.
    8-) AU $600k...
    http://www.jacksonsrareguitars.com/gibson-les-paul-standard-1959-sunburst.html
  • savman wrote:
    That's something I don't understand. Maybe I'm crazy. What's the point of spending tons of money on something like that if you can't enjoy it. "Yeah, it has all original stuff and sounds great...but I never play it". I understand it can lose it's value or whatever but come on...

im with you.... No good unless you play it. Even if its occasionally i couldnt help myself!

Nice looking guitar.

ryanevo ... heres a '59. All original..
    I just called them as the price aint on the site.
    8-) AU $600k...
    http://www.jacksonsrareguitars.com/gibson-les-paul-standard-1959-sunburst.html
    wow, she is absolutely beautiful...

• No hermetically sealed case for me!! I would play that 57 every day as my main guitar and soar to the heights!! :D

That burst is incredibly nice. :shock: There is NOTHING like the colors on true vintage guitars. I fully understand the write-up when it says you have to see it in person to truly appreciate the grain and color. I go to the B-3 vintage guitar show here in Valley Forge twice a year. Those vintage guitars are precious. And they will never be like that again.

(What is 600k AUS equal to btw?)
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • No hermetically sealed case for me!! I would play that 57 every day as my main guitar and soar to the heights!! :D

That burst is incredibly nice. :shock: There is NOTHING like the colors on true vintage guitars. I fully understand the write-up when it says you have to see it in person to truly appreciate the grain and color. I go to the B-3 vintage guitar show here in Valley Forge twice a year. Those vintage guitars are precious. And they will never be like that again.

(What is 600k AUS equal to btw?)
    at the current excahnge rate 600,000 AUS dollars = 594,633.45 american dollars

• Joerock wrote:

you're out of your element Donny
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."