Options

Russia

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited June 2023 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone here from Russia, or has anyone been there?

I'll be passing through next year - Irkutsk, Yekaterinburg, and St. Petersburg.

I'm really looking forward to it.
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    no.. one day :)

does work take you there? good luck :)
    wah
  • Options
    no.. one day :)

does work take you there? good luck :)

Nah, not work. Just travel. I'm taking the train from Beijing to England. Will stop at Irkutsk & Lake Baikal, Ekaterinburg, and St. Petersburg. The more I read about these places the more I can't wait to visit them.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i wouldn't mind visiting. don't forget to send a postcard to that one chick in Pennsylvania
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    don't forget to send a postcard to that one chick in Pennsylvania

You've lost me. What chick in Pennsylvannia? :think:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Byrnzie wrote:
    81 wrote:
    don't forget to send a postcard to that one chick in Pennsylvania

You've lost me. What chick in Pennsylvannia? :think:

If I'm not mistaken it's someone who created a thread requesting postcards from anywhere and everywhere.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Ah hah! I'll see what I can do.

I remember in Helsinki once I bought a postcard which said 'Welcome to Helsinki' on it, and it had a picture of a beach in Brazil - Finnish humour.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Byrnzie wrote:

Nah, not work. Just travel. I'm taking the train from Beijing to England. Will stop at Irkutsk & Lake Baikal, Ekaterinburg, and St. Petersburg. The more I read about these places the more I can't wait to visit them.

I've always wanted to do the trans-siberian and/or the silk route! Lucky, lucky bugger! Which class are you planning to travel? You MUST take loads of photos/videos, etc. Bore the lot of us when we meet up for drinks!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i went to russia back in the early 80's
    we sold russians levi 501's

that made a lot of ppl money
    weird deal
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    redrock wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Which class are you planning to travel?

I don't know, but the whole trip including hotels and staying 2 nights in Ulaan Baator, 1 night at Lake Baikal, 2 nights in Ekaterinburg, 3 nights in St Petersburg, finishing in Helsinki, comes to £1,500.

Just outside Ekaterinburg there's a place where they've worked out the dividing line between Europe and Asia and you can stand with one foot in Europe and one foot in Asia:

34131980.jpg
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Never been but St. Petersburg is on my list of places to visit before I die. Fascinating country, you're very lucky.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    If you happen to see one of those people tugging on a hoop in a bear's nose to get it to dance, do me a favor and kill that motherfucker. I'll pay you back another time.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I heard somewhere you can see Sarah Palins house...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Sounds like a good deal big B. For that price, you will most probably be quite comfy. I'm green with envy...
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I would love to go someday
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I have a college friend that was born and raised and currently lives in Moscow. Really cool, smart, sassy little Russian chick. Let me know if you want some info or what not.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    I have a college friend that was born and raised and currently lives in Moscow. Really cool, smart, sassy little Russian chick. Let me know if you want some info or what not.

Cheers. I'm gonna be bypassing Moscow though.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Never been but St. Petersburg is on my list of places to visit before I die. Fascinating country, you're very lucky.

The architecture in St. Petersburg looks amazing. I can't wait to visit the Hermitage museum - I'm gonna spend a whole day in there. And also Dostoyevsky's old haunts and the places where he lived, the Dostoyevsky museum, and his grave. Gogol's apartment too.

There's loads of incredible looking churches and palaces dotted around too. I'm gonna be like a kid in a sweet shop.

The Hermitage Museum:
    hermitage-museum.jpg

Church on The Spilled Blood, St. Petersburg:
    Church_on_Spilled_Blood12.JPG

Tsarskoe selo Palace:
    tsarskoe-selo.jpg

The Amber Room - Tsarskoe selo Palace. This room is made entirely from amber:
    Amber%20Roomx-large.jpg
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yeah st petes is just one of those bucket list places, isnt it??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I like this:

http://lovemeow.com/2010/03/hermitage-m ... omcat-day/

St. Petersburg’s Hermitage Museum Holds Tomcat Day

by Love Meow on Mar 31st, 2010

cat1.jpg

Cats have been the heroes at the world-famous St. Petersburg’s Hermitage Museum in Russia. Having felines as the protectors against rodents goes back 200 years for the museum.

Last Saturday Russia celebrated Tomcat day, their “professional” holiday for the 50 cat staff of the Hermitage.

“The museum’s attic will exhibit paintings and photos by professional painters as well as schoolchildren and students, who were inspired by the image of the cat.

Cats have always been a significant part of the museum’s life. They first settled down in the halls of the Hermitage when the museum was founded by Catherine the Great in the 18th Century, and were immediately granted the status of “Hermitage guards”.

At present, the estimated 50 cats of the Hermitage, each of them having its own passport with a picture, help the staff to do away with rodents.” – RT.com

“They execute so-called preventative activities so that rats and mice will stay away or are kept at a minimum,” museum worker Marie Khaltunen tells National Geographic through a translator. Though tourists are not allowed into the cats’ living quarters, “All the museum visitors can see them in the summer,” Khaltunen adds. “Generally they walk on the square and on the embankment, and also they come out into the big yard.” – Peoplepets.com

The musem has started the “Want to Go Home” campaign to help some of the stray cats to find a permanent home.

“Their number plummeted during the deadly Leningrad Blockade. After the end of WW2, the Hermitage took care of the cats, whose vital duty is helping the museum get rid of those gnawing beasts, rats and mice.

In fact, their number is strictly specified. No more than fifty cats and kittens can stay at the Hermitage, although more cats always seem to turn up.”
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,907
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,936
    This is an outdated thread. It's ok to start a new one in the appropriate forum category. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.