Fallout: New Vegas

rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
has anyone picked this up yet?

grabbed my copy yesterday, played for a few hours last night and feel the reviews i've read are pretty accurate. obviously a bad ass game, but it feels like just a large expansion pack of fallout 3... doesn't have an "own" game feel to it.

pretty buggy too... but i do hear a patch was released today to fix some issues.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    rival. wrote:
    has anyone picked this up yet?

grabbed my copy yesterday, played for a few hours last night and feel the reviews i've read are pretty accurate. obviously a bad ass game, but it feels like just a large expansion pack of fallout 3... doesn't have an "own" game feel to it.

pretty buggy too... but i do hear a patch was released today to fix some issues.
    Been finishing the last 2 DLC's for Fallout 3, and to be honest, the bugs in those make me want to steer clear altogether of New Vegas.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Rygar wrote:
    Been finishing the last 2 DLC's for Fallout 3, and to be honest, the bugs in those make me want to steer clear altogether of New Vegas.

the pitt DLC for FO3 was very buggy for me. when i was trying to collect all the steel ignots, there was a couple on a rooftop that i could not get to, because i kept falling through the roof. i looked up the bug online, and i had to uninstall the point lookout DLC in order for me to walk across a certain rooftop in the pitt DLC. wtf?????????????

so i deleted point lookout and when i did i was able to walk across the roof. makes no sense!!
    rival. wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

the pitt DLC for FO3 was very buggy for me. when i was trying to collect all the steel ignots, there was a couple on a rooftop that i could not get to, because i kept falling through the roof. i looked up the bug online, and i had to uninstall the point lookout DLC in order for me to walk across a certain rooftop in the pitt DLC. wtf?????????????

so i deleted point lookout and when i did i was able to walk across the roof. makes no sense!!
    Yeah I had that one too.
    Also had Mothership Zeta bug where destroying the generator in the Robot Assembly Area the person who went in with me disappeared right away and I was stuck in the room forever, Point Lookout I have had tribals continually immune to grenade damage and, to a lesser frequency, bullet damage, graphic bug where the landscape didn't flow smoothly so I'd save and reload and it would be fixed, and most recently the quest indicator for destroying the religious book in the capital wasteland that is supposed to point to the Dunwich building actually points to Springvale School, which, needless to say, is miles away.
    Oh, did a fast travel last night only to end up attacked by a band of smugglers, two ghoul reavers and 4 swampfolk, which isn't a bug, but when I had em down to 2 smugglers, one was shooting at me with a plasma rifle and one a lever action, all the while I was continually getting bombarded with grenades. Figure that out.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and will probably get New Vegas this weekend.
    That said, I have read a lot about the bugs in the new game. Fallout 3 drove me f'n nuts at times with the bugs.

Hmmmm...

When was the patch coming out??
    mca47 wrote:
    I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and will probably get New Vegas this weekend.
    That said, I have read a lot about the bugs in the new game. Fallout 3 drove me f'n nuts at times with the bugs.

Hmmmm...

When was the patch coming out??
    I know the PC patch was just released so it can't be far off for consoles.
    I loved Fallout 3 but the experience(s) with the DLC are really frustrating me. I'm at the point now where I just want the achievements (3 left for MZ and done) and that's it, but that makes it worse because I'm essentially grinding, which is boring at the best of times...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I downloaded the game to my xbox hard drive and I have not run into many bugs in about 8 hours of gameplay (200 hours to go :D ). I don't know if downloading it helped or if I have just been lucky, but I have not had any game freeze or extended loading-time issues. The only thing that stood out is someones limb was bouncing around at one point in the game but it was no big deal.

The gameplay is almost identical to Fallout 3, but so far I have noticed lot of improvements. The level-up system has better variety, the dialog is much better, and so far Vegas is a much better setting then DC. At least the neon lights don't make the days and nights as dreary and depressing as they were in Fallout 3. Plus, Vegas is actually in a drab-colored desert so it feels more natural as opposed to D.C.

Also, I typically do not buy strategy guides, but New Vegas has an excellent guide available. Bethesda has done an excellent job at supporting their games with 400+ page guides that are well setup and helpful. In a game as deep and as long as Fallout, it is a must-buy and highly recommended.
    Jason P wrote:
    Also, I typically do not buy strategy guides, but New Vegas has an excellent guide available. Bethesda has done an excellent job at supporting their games with 400+ page guides that are well setup and helpful. In a game as deep and as long as Fallout, it is a must-buy and highly recommended.

same here man. bought the guide for fallout 3 as well and it was a huge help. must pick up for new vegas as well.

as far as the glitches, i heard part 1 of the patch was released today, the rest is coming his weekend. good to see them act on it quickly. i haven't had any glitchy moments, just lots of lag here and there walking around the desert and navigating through my pip boy.
  • KatKat Posts: 4,845
    Jason P wrote:
    I downloaded the game to my xbox hard drive and I have not run into many bugs in about 8 hours of gameplay (200 hours to go :D ). I don't know if downloading it helped or if I have just been lucky, but I have not had any game freeze or extended loading-time issues. The only thing that stood out is someones limb was bouncing around at one point in the game but it was no big deal.

The gameplay is almost identical to Fallout 3, but so far I have noticed lot of improvements. The level-up system has better variety, the dialog is much better, and so far Vegas is a much better setting then DC. At least the neon lights don't make the days and nights as dreary and depressing as they were in Fallout 3. Plus, Vegas is actually in a drab-colored desert so it feels more natural as opposed to D.C.

Are you traveling with ED-E and Boone yet? :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Not yet. Do you think that the characters are an homage to Ed and Boom???
    Jason P wrote:
    Kat wrote:

Actually, just let me know if one of the characters has a pack of American Spirits and if the other has long flowing silver hair and I'll do the math :mrgreen:
  • KatKat Posts: 4,845
    Jason P wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Kat wrote:

Actually, just let me know if one of the characters has a pack of American Spirits and if the other has long flowing silver hair and I'll do the math :mrgreen:

ha. No, Boone looks like bad-a... and ED-E has a bumper sticker that says Honor Student as part of his meager armor. Safe travels in the wasteland. :) x
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Kat is a gamer.....now i almost want to play.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I really enjoyed Fallout 3 so with New Vegas I feel right at home. Also Chandler from Friends is the guy in the checked suit that shot you at the start! How cool is that :D
    Back to the wasteland...Wish me luck 8-)
    DUBLIN~~22-6-10
    BELFAST~~23-6-10

"Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight,"
    I picked it up this afternoon.

So far so good. I didn't "get in it" as much as I did Fallout 3, but it's still good.
    Definitely buggy. The game almost seems to lag. It's not really a framerate drop, but more of the game just hiccuping at times. I really hope they patch it.

Also had one freeze-up already. The last time that happened on any game?...Fallout 3 almost a year and a half ago.

Oh well.
    alright... getting deeper and deeper into this game and its becoming more and more unplayable.

more saved files, bigger inventories in your pipboy = INSANE lag and hic cups. a couple missions have pretty bad bugs where you just get attacked for NO reason by your allies resulting in a failed mission/death. you have to constantly reload your last saved point and HOPE that the bug doesn't occur on a reload and you can actually get through the mission successfully. frustrating!
  • Install it onto your hard drive. That's what I did, and most of the bugs are gone, At least the big bugs.:)
    DUBLIN~~22-6-10
    BELFAST~~23-6-10

• rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    I Loved Fallout 3 and was really happy to hear that the gameplay in New Vegas would be similar. I'll probably pick up a copy in a month or so and let the developers fix up the bugs with some patches.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • I found an infinite caps glitch :shock:
    And exp. But caps :shock:
    Off to purchase a lot of fancy guns! :D
    DUBLIN~~22-6-10
    BELFAST~~23-6-10

• MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    I found an infinite caps glitch :shock:
    And exp. But caps :shock:
    Off to purchase a lot of fancy guns! :D

Please do tell :)
    Just bought the game (had a 20% discount), but I will probably only get a chance to play next week, after I upgrade my CPU/Motherboard/Memory. Expensive week...

This is the first game that I actually paid for in years!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

While buggy as hell, I'm enjoying this game.

Not sure how this is going to pan out for the main storyline, but for shits one night I decided to take Boone over to the Legion's hangout (where Ceasar is) and kill some Legionaries. I'm already vilified and I didn't have anything else to do so I decided why not?!? :D
    Anyways, we ended up killing them all including Ceasar. I actually wanted to keep him alive for story purposes, but a stray plasma grenade bounced and landed right underneath him.

So yeah, I have a lot of the game left but Ceasar is very much dead. Hmmmm... :?
    So, I have been playing the game the past few days (Just entered the strip) and I noticed a couple of "Backspacer" references:
    1) One one of the radio stations (I think the Mr. Vegas one) there is a song called "Johnny Guitar" in the loop.
    2) One of the new Chems is called "Fixer"

Don't know if these are just coincidences or if there are some PJ fans on the development team.

BTW, Is there a patch out yet for the graphic glitches? They got really bad once I reached Freeside.

rafie wrote:
    So, I have been playing the game the past few days (Just entered the strip) and I noticed a couple of "Backspacer" references:
    1) One one of the radio stations (I think the Mr. Vegas one) there is a song called "Johnny Guitar" in the loop.

Don't know if these are just coincidences or if there are some PJ fans on the development team.

BTW, Is there a patch out yet for the graphic glitches? They got really bad once I reached Freeside.

I think there's been one patch (software update) since the game was released. I haven't played the game in a couple weeks so maybe there is another...but I wouldn't count on it.

Glitches are all over the place. Just when you think it's running good, it'll freeze up on ya'.
    rafie wrote:

I personally think there is enough evidence to begin a half-assed conspiracy theory of how Pearl Jam influenced Fallout New Vegas . . . ;):):lol:
    There is a special space suit in the game that seems very familiar . . . as if it may have been featured as artwork on an album release from 2009 ... hmmm ... :think:

New_Vegas_Spacesuit.jpg?t=1287643390&t=1