Gaming Consoles

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been toying with the idea of buying a gaming console this year and have narrowed it down between the Playstation 3 and Wii. I wouldn't probably even consider the Wii but I have two young boys that would probably get a lot more fun out of the Wii than the Playstation. Anybody have one or both of these systems and have their thoughts on which is the best? There are a few kickass games coming out that I'm really interested in and I don't think my PC could keep up with them any more.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xbox360 and wii owner....wii better for the kids ..xbox great for adults some great titles out ..
    but my 7 year old has the xbox in his room...starwars lego is great and indie.

dont know much about ps3..
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I know PS3 and xbox will/are coming out with the wireless action remotes to compete with wii, but wii certainly has the game library, so you'd have to wait for them to come out with the games for the remotes. Also there are some games that are licensed exclusively for Nintendo only, or PS only. I have a Wii, and about 30+ games, that are all varied...if you are more of a RPG gamer then get a PS3 or xbox...graphics are way better.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Ps 3 i would say! If you have a full hd t.v you can watch blu-ray discs and with a ps3 software upgrade even 3-d.Sony also released a wireless controller like the wii
    So if you are looking for something for the kids and for yourself to spare the free hours i would go for the Ps3

Good luck with your choice....
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Sega Genisis. trust me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    playstation iii hands down, just got a 160 gig, I am not a big gamer and bought it mainly because of its blue ray capabilities and the fact that it updates itself manually through its wi fi port......
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,830
    Atari 2600 or SNES :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I've been leaning towards the PS3 more too. Good to the majority seem to like it better. That new Star Wars game looks off the hook.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    PS3, hands down if your only going up against the Wii. Their new motion remotes make a mockery of Nintendo's technology. But beware that the PS3 menu, their horrible online system, and constant updates that take hours to download may drive you insane. Nothing is worse then trying to play a new game and then having to wait 90 minutes for an update to download. That is why I prefer the xbox 360 overall.

If you like franchises like Zelda and Mario, and like to play old NES and SNES games, then a Wii may be a good choice.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:
    PS3, hands down if your only going up against the Wii. Their new motion remotes make a mockery of Nintendo's technology. But beware that the PS3 menu, their horrible online system, and constant updates that take hours to download may drive you insane. Nothing is worse then trying to play a new game and then having to wait 90 minutes for an update to download. That is why I prefer the xbox 360 overall.

If you like franchises like Zelda and Mario, and like to play old NES and SNES games, then a Wii may be a good choice.
    Nicely put.
    I have a 360 and PS3 and I'd also take the PS3 over the Wii, but 360 is where it's at.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    The PS3 and 360 are by FAR better choices.

By most accounts, the heyday of the Wii is long over. While they do have some great titles, you'll find better and more on the PS3 and 360. Both the PS3 and 360 have many years left of top-level support too.
    The Wii also really doesn't have much in the near future to offer either.

I have a PS3 and love it. I think you're going to regret spending the money on the Wii, and most people I know who have one now admit that.

Also, I had some extra $ laying around so I picked up the PS3 Move (their motion controller). While they don't have a lot of games out for it yet, I gotta admit...that thing is fricken cool! The accuracy and precision that thing has is pretty incredible.

PS3, 360 >>>> Wii
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Rygar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Nicely put.
    I have a 360 and PS3 and I'd also take the PS3 over the Wii, but 360 is where it's at.
    I will give some credit to Sony for finally offering a good stable of exclusive games over the last year . . . but the constant delay of Gran Turisimo 5 negates their progress 8-)
  • Yeah I am curious as to why the 360 isn't in the running, as I have all three and it is BY FAR the best pure gaming console out there.

But since you asked about the PS3 vs Wii, most everything has already been said. You would certainly enjoy the PS3 more if you're looking for something that will show you what games are capable of nowadays, especially if you have an HDTV. Your kids will enjoy the Wii, but the bad games outnumber the good games approximately 50-1. Game developers have to dumb-down their games to make a Wii version and they are a joke compared to the PS3 or 360 versions. Don't get me wrong, the Wii does have some games that are a blast, but they are few and far between and usually the novelty wears off fast (though I am currently obsessed with NHL Slapshot). There are enough kid-friendly games available on the PS3 to where I would go that route without hesitation.
  • All day....

snes-us.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    I'm not into video games at all, at least since I dropped the NES :lol:
    And I have a WII which is great fun to play with friends, just any friends, since you don't need much skills to have fun.
    So I guess that would make everybody telling you to go for the PS3 right, when it comes to which system is the best to get if you're really into video games ....