NFL Begins To Suspend Players For Flagrant Hits

g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I believe what is being said here on ESPN...

NFL Begins To Suspend Players For Flagrant Hits

This will lead to more serious injuries like paralyzation instead of a concussion. The NFL is trying to do this in MID SEASON it won't work.

Also what Schlereth had to say here...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=570631 ... id=2378529

The NFL like he said will become flag football, let's see how interesting that will get.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    It's a great idea. Get the dirty shit outta there. There's still gonna be hard hits, but maybe fewer hits that make your stomach churn. If world class athletes can't find another way to tackle they shouldn't bein the league. James Harrison should prolly already be out.

All the players that got fined yesterday, deserved them.
  • Everything that Schlereth said there makes sense to me. I find it a bit odd that the NFL has a three strikes policy when it comes to substance abuse but clean, respectful players are being punished in the same manner that well established dirty players are. Set up a hierarchy of punishment when it comes to head hunting. Give warnings for first time offenders and make the punishment exponentially more severe for subsequent infractions. Get the guys everyone knows are dirty out of there and let everyone else play the game the way it was designed to be played.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    DewieCox wrote:
    It's a great idea. Get the dirty shit outta there. There's still gonna be hard hits, but maybe fewer hits that make your stomach churn. If world class athletes can't find another way to tackle they shouldn't bein the league. James Harrison should prolly already be out.

Stupid idea! There's been hard hits for years and these guys are being paid to take the risk. Don't want to take the hits then don't try to make the money. All the bleeding hearts are trying to change it into a girls sport like soccer. I might feel bad for these guys if they weren't getting paid ridiculous amounts to play a game. The only fine worthy offense I saw was in the Pats/Ravens game. Most of these guys already got a free college education, if they don't want to get hurt then put it to use.
    #FHP
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    DewieCox wrote:

i agree that the dirty hits should be addressed. but there's no way that Robinson's hit should warrant a fine like that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

i agree that the dirty hits should be addressed. but there's no way that Robinson's hit should warrant a fine like that.

It was the only one I really had a doubt about, but in a way it looked the worst.

The one Harrison hit he followed through and he has a history of dirty(not just hard) hits.

Big Drop wrote:
    Get the guys everyone knows are dirty out of there and let everyone else play the game the way it was designed to be played.

Why not just punish hard the first time and teach a better lesson.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    weak as hell. if you don't want to see dudes getting blown up then watch soccer

the NFL product gets shittier every year...this just continues the trend
  • DewieCox wrote:

Because mistakes happen and sometimes you make helmet to helmet contact when you don't mean to. It's the same reason your license isn't revoked the first time you get into a fender-bender.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

totally agree. and I'm an eagles fan. that was a clean play, and a nice hit. shouldn't have even drawn a flag
  • The Merriweather hit is the type of hit that should lead to big fines and suspensions. That was s straight up helmet to helmet, dirty play.

That hit on Jackson, while unfortunate, was completely legal. I don't see how they could fine that dude on the Falcons.
    Big Drop wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Because mistakes happen and sometimes you make helmet to helmet contact when you don't mean to. It's the same reason your license isn't revoked the first time you get into a fender-bender.

Yeah, but "mistakes"aren't necesarily gonna be punished harder....reprat ofenders and dirty hits are.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Yeah, but "mistakes"aren't necesarily gonna be punished harder....reprat ofenders and dirty hits are.

I think we're trying to make the same point here, to be honest with you. I agree. There's no room for players who intend to injure in the NFL. Sooner or later someone is going to die.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025
    will any distintion be made for offensive players creating the "dirty hit" , like just before contact , lowering their head? Fully agree that the intentional hit that injures should be dealt with harshly, but an incidental hit that causes injury is quite different, isn't it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

so you don't mind d jack being out for this week against da titans

i applaud the league for doing this cause the league has pure head hunters in the league and it's time to clean up the game of dirty hits. helmet to helmet hits shouldn't be allowed in this league. i highly doubt anyone of you want your favorite player or another player to end up like eric legrand.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I assume this all came about because of the Jackson hit. I agree football is becoming much like flag football. get within breathing distance of a quarterback and they flag you.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

so you don't mind d jack being out for this week against da titans

i applaud the league for doing this cause the league has pure head hunters in the league and it's time to clean up the game of dirty hits. helmet to helmet hits shouldn't be allowed in this league. i highly doubt anyone of you want your favorite player or another player to end up like eric legrand.

nah, man. read my earlier post. the hit on jackson was clean. it shouldn't have even drawn a flag. it's a shame that robinson got fined. it's criminal. football players hit each other, there are gonna be high impact collisions and dudes are gonna get hurt. what's next, eliminating the fullback? they hit people full speed on every play.

if it weren't for gambling I wouldn't even watch the NFL. it's just a shitty product that continues to get shittier. you can't have a football league where hitting is illegal. it's like having hockey where guys aren't allowed to fight...oh wait, never mind

has anyone ever seen roger goodell and gary bettman in the same place at the same time? there's a distinct possibility that they are the same person who's trying to ruin two sports at once. someone needs to stop that bastard
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

nah, man. read my earlier post. the hit on jackson was clean. it shouldn't have even drawn a flag. it's a shame that robinson got fined. it's criminal. football players hit each other, there are gonna be high impact collisions and dudes are gonna get hurt. what's next, eliminating the fullback? they hit people full speed on every play.

if it weren't for gambling I wouldn't even watch the NFL. it's just a shitty product that continues to get shittier. you can't have a football league where hitting is illegal. it's like having hockey where guys aren't allowed to fight...oh wait, never mind

has anyone ever seen roger goodell and gary bettman in the same place at the same time? there's a distinct possibility that they are the same person who's trying to ruin two sports at once. someone needs to stop that bastard
    i think it was just a overreaction by the ref and the nfl. i'd rather not see someone killed on the field then a "bone jarring hit". not buttman ruined the nhl by expansion teams in the south. buttman won't ever get rid of fighting cause he knows the purist will be pissed at him. but thats for a different thread.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Horos wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Stupid idea! There's been hard hits for years and these guys are being paid to take the risk. Don't want to take the hits then don't try to make the money. All the bleeding hearts are trying to change it into a girls sport like soccer. I might feel bad for these guys if they weren't getting paid ridiculous amounts to play a game. The only fine worthy offense I saw was in the Pats/Ravens game. Most of these guys already got a free college education, if they don't want to get hurt then put it to use.

imo theres a difference between a good hard tackle and a flagrant hit. though i dont watch american football i have been watching rugby league for.. lets just say awhile. and i have watched the game go from clean hard tackles to 4 players on 1 guy bending him every which way. why the hell does it take 4 guys to bring down 1? ill tell you why.. cause theyre not going in with clean regulation tackles. its ridiculous. now i like a good hit as much as the next guy but come on.. if you intentionally mark another player with nothing in mind but spectacle and possibly hurting him then you should be fined and you should be suspended. and it has nothing to do with the pussification of football. it has to do with being clean players doing legitimate takedowns and being able to play the next game. its no fun watching a player get carried off with a brace on his neck. smarten up boys.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Horos wrote:

imo theres a difference between a good hard tackle and a flagrant hit. though i dont watch american football i have been watching rugby league for.. lets just say awhile. and i have watched the game go from clean hard tackles to 4 players on 1 guy bending him every which way. why the hell does it take 4 guys to bring down 1? ill tell you why.. cause theyre not going in with clean regulation tackles. its ridiculous. now i like a good hit as much as the next guy but come on.. if you intentionally mark another player with nothing in mind but spectacle and possibly hurting him then you should be fined and you should be suspended. and it has nothing to do with the pussification of football. it has to do with being clean players doing legitimate takedowns and being able to play the next game. its no fun watching a player get carried off with a brace on his neck. smarten up boys.

There are some hits that are blatantly/intentional helmet to helmet and thus flagrant, and I agree that the player responsible should be fined and suspended.

However, in comparison to rugby, there is a much larger potential for blindside hits to occur in the NFL. You have receivers full out sprinting across the middle on every play. Anyone that has played knows that leading your receiver into this area is dangerous, and it should be. You can't ask the defense to play half speed, it just ruins the integrity of the game. At top speeds the defender only has a split second to judge the angles and make a move. Not to mention that the offensive player is in motion and their angles are constantly changing as well. It really is the quarterback's responsibility to judge the spacing and determine whether or not the receiver will have a chance. I have no problem with sticter penalties for flagrant hits, but I think there is so much uproar because they are beginning to penalize players for clean hard hits.

I think another valid point is that the NFL should re-evaluate the effectiveness of the current helments.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Horos wrote:

There are some hits that are blatantly/intentional helmet to helmet and thus flagrant, and I agree that the player responsible should be fined and suspended.

However, in comparison to rugby, there is a much larger potential for blindside hits to occur in the NFL. You have receivers full out sprinting across the middle on every play. Anyone that has played knows that leading your receiver into this area is dangerous, and it should be. You can't ask the defense to play half speed, it just ruins the integrity of the game. It really is the quarterback's responsibility to judge the spacing and determine whether or not the receiver will have a chance.

I think another valid point is that the NFL should re-evaluate the effectiveness of the current helments.

aha and i hear all that but... you can make all the excuses you want.. the fact is flagrant hits are just that. theyre designed to hurt... at any cost. and to me theyre lazy plays. if the only way you can shut a player down is by taking him out without prejudice then youre just not thinking enough. i know you know hard legitimate hits are different from flagrant hits. and the players know it. all teams have their hitmen. i know this. you know this. sometimes they play within the limits. sometimes they dont. and tis those sometimes that need not be encouraged.
    im not even talking about just where and when the quarterback leads the play. its the defensive players responsibility to not go into a tackle with the intent to cause injury to the ball carrier. its that simple. you stop the play... but not at any cost.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i just wish they would play 7 on 7 with no lineman or pass rush...than maybe the Bears O line would be ok.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Football is the new hockey.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    deeboko2.avi.gif
    This looks like a legal hit to me. Harrison can't help the player goes down after he already started his hit.
    cribbsdeeboko.avi.gif
    And this one is also an accidental helmet to helmet hit. As someone stated before the offensive players drop their heads when they get hit most the time creating the head to head contact.

A lot of people call Harrison dirty but I say he just plays hard like the sport is intended to be played. How long before Hines Ward gets fined for his 'dirty' play.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    This looks like a legal hit to me. Harrison can't help the player goes down after he already started his hit.

And this one is also an accidental helmet to helmet hit. As someone stated before the offensive players drop their heads when they get hit most the time creating the head to head contact.

A lot of people call Harrison dirty but I say he just plays hard like the sport is intended to be played. How long before Hines Ward gets fined for his 'dirty' play.

The top one is clearly illegal. He explodes through the guy and then turns around and taunts him. The second one he puts his head down tryin to hit helmet first. Even if he's leadin with his pads, he's aimin for the guys head.

He's dirty, no matter how you cut it. I hope he retires.

I don't really see what all the fuss is about. They're goin after headhunters. I mean, Dwight Freeney's about as badass as they come and I've never seen him fined or flagged for a dirty him. I'm sure he's gotten a few, but he's also gotten alotta good licks on QB's that were just fine.

On a side note....Mark Schlereth is a fuckin moron. He seems bitter kinda talkin about it. Just b/c the league didn't take care of him, he thinks everything should stay the same. Yeah, the NFL is gonna have to quit "selling the hits", but somethin HAS to be done about the concussions.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I like watching a clean, hard tackle as much as anybody, but I don't have a problem with the league trying to eliminate dirty, head-hunting type tackles. The problem is going to be relying on officials to make this judgment call. The overly flagrant hits will be easy to call, but for the borderline ones what is going to differentiate between clean and dirty? To one official it could be flagrant, to another it could be clean and that's where more problems will occur. I think this also has the potential to make defensive players let up more when making a tackle because they don't want to be suspended/fined, which could lead to the defender getting injured in some cases. I think there are more questions about how to enforce this policy and a little more time should have been spent to iron out all the details.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    DewieCox wrote:

The top one is clearly illegal. He explodes through the guy and then turns around and taunts him. The second one he puts his head down tryin to hit helmet first. Even if he's leadin with his pads, he's aimin for the guys head.

He's dirty, no matter how you cut it. I hope he retires.

Dewie, I am not defending the hit on Moss, but on the second hit, Cribbs lowers his head too if you missed that. So what are linebackers do when they lower their shoulders, and then running backs get low for a hit and thier heads hit? It happens multiple times a game.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Horos wrote:
    cribbsdeeboko.avi.gif

i'm not saying it's dirty, but i will say, perhaps they should teach players how to tackle now a days. very rarely do you see people actually put their arms around somebody to bring them down, it's all about dropping your shoulder and running thru them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg