Options

Have you met any PJ member, if so how?

EddiesGuitarGirlEddiesGuitarGirl Posts: 96
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I wanna hear everyones stories on how they met any of them.
I personally never did so I want to know what theyre like or you can always share any tips on how to meet 'em ;)
Adge
12.9.06= Rockin In The Free World
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I met Mike in Houston back in 2000. My brother and I were walking towrds the venue from the parking lot and Mike was riding his bike around meeting fans. He was pretty cool, I got to take a picture with him.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    StoneyChixStoneyChix Posts: 125
    I've met ALL the guys except Matt..when I met the guys it was when they toured Australia in 1998 & they were touring w/ Jack Irons, so I met him as well.

I was waiting @ the hotel that they were staying at and one by one Jeff, Mike, Jack & Stone (Sigh!!) came out and I met them all...was one of the BEST days of my life.. I got all my cd's,Fan club singles and stuff signed, and i got each of them to sign my personal diary.

The Best moment.. Well it was when I met Ed, it was TOTALLY unxpected, I was @their hotel again w/t a few people and who should I see headed towards the hotel, but Ed!!

Surprisingly i was really calm (which was odd!) I said Hello to Ed and he said "Y'know i'll sign whatever y'want but no photos" i had to respect that obviously and was more than happy when he signed my fan club singles and wrote a personal message in my diary...believe me i was on cloud nine ALL fricken day..

I found them all to be really nice, mind you when I met Jeff, he didn't seem all that excited, but then again he has to be forgiven for that as it was really early in the morning. Mike was the nicest guy, we had a great conversation and he made fun of me because i said the word "Heaps" alot (it's an Aussie thing!)

But what got me was that he hung around and waited while i got my OLD.OLD.OLD camera to get working again so i could get my photo taken w/t him...SO GREATFUL!

Stone, he's my ALL Time fave..I LOVE HIM! so when i met him, i was surprised that i didn't flip out, i actually didn't aproach him, he walked over to me & another person i was with and casually asked us if we had anything that we had wanted him to sign (Which of course I Did!!!!)

He also signed my diary & Made fun of the way I had decorated it...I was also SHOCKED when Stone remembered me from when I had met him a few months earlier @ a Ben Harper gig in Melbourne which Brad were supporting

Didn't really talk to Jack all that much...he basically just signed stuff for those who happened to be there.

TOTALLY ONE OF THE BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE!!!!
  • Options
    PearlJen401PearlJen401 Posts: 233
    Not met in person, but I did speak to Eddie on the phone back in 1995. He was extremely cordial, we had a brief conversation, so cool to talk with.
    “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Not met in person, but I did speak to Eddie on the phone back in 1995. He was extremely cordial, we had a brief conversation, so cool to talk with.

I've got to ask: How in the hell did you speak to Eddie on the phone?!

Maybe it was like the dream I had recently where he was singing at a wedding I was attending and when I saw him before the wedding he said, "I don't have time to talk now, but if you'll give me your number I'll call you tomorrow." Is that how it went down? :D
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Cool story StoneyChix :) I laughed at the part where Stone approached you, not the other way around, just like a huge badass, 'you guys want anything signed?" haha.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    Down1Down1 Posts: 40
    I met Mike once and Eddie twice. My sister and I were back stage at the 2000 Key Arena 2 show and were introduced. Mike was super nice, took pictures with us, chatted it up...and after the show we met Eddie--he also took a picture and signed our passes. Great experience!

Then I met Eddie again backstage at a benefit show at the Showbox. I walked up to him and started talking to him--he was very nice, incredibly humble-we talked about the music, and some other stuff that I can barely remember-he told me he was just a "normal" guy--it was nice to see the human side of him, as opposed to who we think he is on stage. Then he gave me a hug and we went on our way.

Both were awesome nights--but I do have to say that the hug was a highlight!
    Memorial 7/21/98, MGM 10/22/00, Key 11/5&6/00, EV Showbox 7/9/01, Key(Groundworks)10/22/01, Showbox 12/6/02, Key 12/8&9/02, MSG 7/9/03, Benaroya 10/22/03, Gorge 9/1/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Gorge II 7/23/06, EV Vancouver 4/08, San Fran 8/28/09, Key 9/21&22/09, EV Benaroya 7/15&16/11
  • Options
    willtupperwilltupper Posts: 70
    I met Stone at a men's bathhou...

I mean, I met Stone somewhere. :D
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    I've got to ask: How in the hell did you speak to Eddie on the phone?!

Maybe it was like the dream I had recently where he was singing at a wedding I was attending and when I saw him before the wedding he said, "I don't have time to talk now, but if you'll give me your number I'll call you tomorrow." Is that how it went down? :D

LMAO :D Sometimes I still think it wasn't real but any way the story went:

I'm sure you remember the old Monkeywrench radio, well I used to sit with my little cassette tape recorder and tape those. They were great. Sometimes Eddie would give out phone numbers for fans to call in etc. I NEVER got thru. Not that I had expected to.

In'95 PJ played in SD and the Ramones opened for them. Anyway, the radio station 91x was giving out a cell phone number that you could call and talk to the band. I had been at the show and my husband thought I was silly for thinking I'd have a chance of getting thru, but since I can never sleep after a concert, he went to bed and I stayed up trying to get thru. It didn't take very long and a very familiar voice answered the phone. But I asked for Eddie. The response was, "He's talking right now, he'll be free in a minute but this is Joey I'll talk to you until he is free." Ok, I almost fainted right then, how could i have not known who that familiar voice belonged to. Joey was grumpy but funny, saying the crowd sucked etc. Then he said Eddie was free. I didn't want to act like a crazy stalker woman so I tried to compose myself. He said hello, I told him I was a huge fan, how their music helped me thru things, and that it was a great show. He thanked me and we talked briefly about San Diego. Then I told him I had a question about a song he played on Monkeywrench radio. He said, "sure, go ahead" I said, "You played a Babes in Toyland song that I can't seem to find. I have bought a few albums but the song isn't on any of them."

Now just to tell you this song had been in my head constantly, the lyrics left my brain as soon as I heard his voice.

So Eddie said, "No, I didn't play any BIT, but I played something by their lead singer Kat." I said, "No i remember that too, but this was definitely BIT, and I can't remember the lyrics now because i am so nervous." Then one line popped in my head and I said. "Oh its "why, why did you leave me" Eddie responded, "Oh you are right, I did play Babes in Toyland, the song is 'pain in my heart' and the album is 'spanking machine'. It's their best album, you have to get it."

There was a bit of chit chat and I thanked him for talking to me, for their music, and for helping me out with the "song dilemma."

He thanked me and said "Now you better get that album tomorrow."

That was it and needless to say I couldn't sleep the whole night.
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696

I'm sure you remember the old Monkeywrench radio, well I used to sit with my little cassette tape recorder and tape those. They were great. Sometimes Eddie would give out phone numbers for fans to call in etc. I NEVER got thru. Not that I had expected to.

In'95 PJ played in SD and the Ramones opened for them. Anyway, the radio station 91x was giving out a cell phone number that you could call and talk to the band. I had been at the show and my husband thought I was silly for thinking I'd have a chance of getting thru, but since I can never sleep after a concert, he went to bed and I stayed up trying to get thru. It didn't take very long and a very familiar voice answered the phone. But I asked for Eddie. The response was, "He's talking right now, he'll be free in a minute but this is Joey I'll talk to you until he is free." Ok, I almost fainted right then, how could i have not known who that familiar voice belonged to. Joey was grumpy but funny, saying the crowd sucked etc. Then he said Eddie was free. I didn't want to act like a crazy stalker woman so I tried to compose myself. He said hello, I told him I was a huge fan, how their music helped me thru things, and that it was a great show. He thanked me and we talked briefly about San Diego. Then I told him I had a question about a song he played on Monkeywrench radio. He said, "sure, go ahead" I said, "You played a Babes in Toyland song that I can't seem to find. I have bought a few albums but the song isn't on any of them."

Now just to tell you this song had been in my head constantly, the lyrics left my brain as soon as I heard his voice.

So Eddie said, "No, I didn't play any BIT, but I played something by their lead singer Kat." I said, "No i remember that too, but this was definitely BIT, and I can't remember the lyrics now because i am so nervous." Then one line popped in my head and I said. "Oh its "why, why did you leave me" Eddie responded, "Oh you are right, I did play Babes in Toyland, the song is 'pain in my heart' and the album is 'spanking machine'. It's their best album, you have to get it."

There was a bit of chit chat and I thanked him for talking to me, for their music, and for helping me out with the "song dilemma."

Wow !!
    That's an awesome story. Both Joey Ramone and Eddie !!
    Very cool
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i was waiting in line to buy a homeless couple hotdogs in san fran and mikey can walking by into macy's
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    I met Stone after his show with Brad at Webster Hall last October. I didn't ask anything about Pearl Jam and just mentioned that I liked the Brad show and he said thanks.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 855
    Met eddie after show in Toronto in 2003 riding his mountain bike and drinking a heiniken. Chilled with about 10-15 of us for 30 minutes which was cool and unexpected.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I've met Mike twice. First time by chance in San Francisco at the Rockin Java, 2nd time was at the Showbox for the FTM show.

Jeff, I met him at the Gorge. His cabana was next door to ours. did I mention I seen him in his towel?!?!?!?!

Boom, the same, was walking by with his wife after the 2nd night at the Gorge, so we spoke briefly

Stone-At the Gorge...he was a bit snippy though! hahahaa
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Met Jeff at a deli the day after Albany 06 in Saratoga. I'd asked him about his being in town and he mentioned that fans hoarding the hotel they were staying at in Albany forced them to uproot and stay in a different hotel northward. :)
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Met Jeff at a deli the day after Albany 06 in Saratoga. I'd asked him about his being in town and he mentioned that fans hoarding the hotel they were staying at in Albany forced them to uproot and stay in a different hotel northward. :)
    Mike wouldn 't do that! Enough said..

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651

That's the best story EVER!!! :D
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Jeanwah wrote:

You should have asked him why they were playing at the pepsi instead of SPAC. Although, that was a sick ass show!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    yahamita wrote:
    Jeff, I met him at the Gorge. His cabana was next door to ours. did I mention I seen him in his towel?!?!?!?!

Please tell me you took pictures! :D
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    Met Ed after taping of VH1 story tellers. Of course a little star struck cant even remeber what was said but he was very cool and shook everyones hand. He actually made it a point to get away from his security to say hi. Met Mike after Beacon this year, got his autograph shook his hand and he confirmed at that time that Ed would be doing the solo east coast tour.
  • Options
    Cocaine_NosejobCocaine_Nosejob Posts: 1,744
    mikesbri wrote:
    Met eddie after show in Toronto in 2003 riding his mountain bike and drinking a heiniken. Chilled with about 10-15 of us for 30 minutes which was cool and unexpected.

No way! I was there! For some reason it seemed odd to me to see him with a bike...I don't perceive him as a bike person
    "The customer...is always...an ASSHOLE"

"The world fascinates me."

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you"

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,564
    Jeanwah wrote:

that's what happens when "someone" at Curtis Management books a hotel for the band and crew across the street from the venue! hehe :D

needless to say, it doesn't help when Smitty is standing in the foyer of the hotel with a cart stacked to the ceiling with the band's luggage as fans are arriving and checking in to said hotel lol
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    I have met Mike a few times, but the best was at Pirates and Pearls. PJ was being given award from Seattle Youth Care.

When I walk in door, Mike was standing in front of us in line, we started talking and Lance Mercer walked up with the 5X1 book, it had just been shipped from 10C and I was waiting for mine. Mike was so cool, he intreduced Lance to my wife and me. He saw I was holding a couple Xmas singles, so I asked him to sign them. My wife laughed and said "she made me leave the rest of it in the car". Mike laughed and said, "what you got in car?"
    I said "well about 8 other xmas singles and a couple Vinyl's". To my shock he say's "Let's Go outside!", so we walk to my car and he sign's all of it, at looks at my Easystreet Cd, and say's "Cool, Haven't seen this yet".
    So we go back inside and my wife is talking with his wife, Ashley wanted to see baby picture's because she hadn't seen us since Portland when wife was 8 months along. Then Ashley tells us, "we just went to Dr. today and I'm 4 weeks along" So we are one of the first to hear about baby McCready.
    The woman keep talking and Mike looks at me and say's " Want to check out the Auction? So we go look at all the items being auctioned off.

Was amazing night!!!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/Lizardkings1/Pearl%20Jam/PiratesPearls010.jpg

I'm the big guy...LOL

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/Lizardkings1/CCFA%202007/FTM2007003.jpg

Mike is an amzing guy!!! With Amazing woman behind him!!!
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    Lizardking wrote:
    I have met Mike a few times, but the best was at Pirates and Pearls. PJ was being given award from Seattle Youth Care.

When I walk in door, Mike was standing in front of us in line, we started talking and Lance Mercer walked up with the 5X1 book, it had just been shipped from 10C and I was waiting for mine. Mike was so cool, he intreduced Lance to my wife and me. He saw I was holding a couple Xmas singles, so I asked him to sign them. My wife laughed and said "she made me leave the rest of it in the car". Mike laughed and said, "what you got in car?"
    I said "well about 8 other xmas singles and a couple Vinyl's". To my shock he say's "Let's Go outside!", so we walk to my car and he sign's all of it, at looks at my Easystreet Cd, and say's "Cool, Haven't seen this yet".
    So we go back inside and my wife is talking with his wife, Ashley wanted to see baby picture's because she hadn't seen us since Portland when wife was 8 months along. Then Ashley tells us, "we just went to Dr. today and I'm 4 weeks along" So we are one of the first to hear about baby McCready.
    The woman keep talking and Mike looks at me and say's " Want to check out the Auction? So we go look at all the items being auctioned off.

Was amazing night!!!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/Lizardkings1/Pearl%20Jam/PiratesPearls010.jpg

I'm the big guy...LOL

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/Lizardkings1/CCFA%202007/FTM2007003.jpg

Mike is an amzing guy!!! With Amazing woman behind him!!!

Great story and great photos!
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    joshua3800joshua3800 Posts: 46
    he was riding his bike around the grounds and we were oen of the 1st groups cooking and drinking.. we arrived 5-6 hrs before ACOUSTIC show and he rode up to our group had a few chips i think and truned down a beer and a burger or steaktip..i have the picture with the 11 of us and ed on my wall at home.

Amazingly, i cant rememer saying anythign stupid accept PLAY ALL THOSE YESTERDAYS... which they did in the acoustic set
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    I met Stone's wife in Tampa in June. Does that count? She was super nice.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    Please tell me you took pictures! :D
    Funny you would ask that question...he had to keep walking by us to get to whereever he needed to go. He stopped by the cabana, our friend Trey had the original Rock Candy sign, so he stopped by to talk and autograph the sign. I aked him first if it was ok I took his picture, he said NO...so as soon as he walked away, I got a few shots of him...but none with the towel. It was the last night at the Gorge, he was running late. The folks came to grab him to take him to the stage, they pounded on the door, he didn't answer at first, but finally he opened the door to tell them he was running late, he was in a towel!!!!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    My buddy and I met Mike in Montreal in 2005 early afternoon. We both didn't have our cameras with us. But we both agree that the 5 min or so chat we had with him was worth more then a picture. Still wish I hadn't left mine in the car. lol :)
  • Options
    Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    yahamita wrote:
    Funny you would ask that question...he had to keep walking by us to get to whereever he needed to go. He stopped by the cabana, our friend Trey had the original Rock Candy sign, so he stopped by to talk and autograph the sign. I aked him first if it was ok I took his picture, he said NO...so as soon as he walked away, I got a few shots of him...but none with the towel. It was the last night at the Gorge, he was running late. The folks came to grab him to take him to the stage, they pounded on the door, he didn't answer at first, but finally he opened the door to tell them he was running late, he was in a towel!!!!

Ahahah, great story!! Jeff in a towel, that must have been quite a sight!!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    My buddy and I met Mike in Montreal in 2005 early afternoon. We both didn't have our cameras with us. But we both agree that the 5 min or so chat we had with him was worth more then a picture. Still wish I hadn't left mine in the car. lol :)

i met him on that same day

we were probably down the block from each other

(but i had a camera) ;)
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    My friend, Dani, has a great story...
    She is friends with Steve Jones (Sex Pistols/Indie 103.1 D.J.) and got to sit backstage (in Eddie's dressing room) with Eddie and Steve as they went through and practiced 'The Kid's Are Alright' at the Hulabaloo gig. Eddie was really nice to her and introduced her to his wife. Jack Irons came in and sat next to her and went over what they would be doing.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!