worried about gear and damp

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited October 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
hi guys.
Me and my girlfriend moved into a new house a few months and ive put all my gear into the far end bedroom (Its a one level building) and i havent really been playing for the last couple of months due to the general trials of moving, unpacking, getting settled in etc. I went to play my guitars tonight and when i uncovered my virtually brand new blues deluxe amp i noticed there was a fine layer of damp dusty mould over some on the tweed. Ive wiped it all off with a antibiological detergant spray on a cloth and moved all my gear out of that room into our bedroom. The room itself is the end room and the amp was against the end outside facing wall. All my guitars were in cases on the opposite wall (i.e. an internal wall) and seem to be fine. I havent switched the amp on at all and like i said ive moved it into another room. Ive put a heater in the room and am running a dehumidifier in there as i type this. Im really just worried about any damage that may have occured to the amp. It was only a slight dusty like covering on the tweed but i am slightly worried. Anyone had any experience of stuff like this happening or have any advice?
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kigcat wrote:
    hi guys.
    Me and my girlfriend moved into a new house a few months and ive put all my gear into the far end bedroom (Its a one level building) and i havent really been playing for the last couple of months due to the general trials of moving, unpacking, getting settled in etc. I went to play my guitars tonight and when i uncovered my virtually brand new blues deluxe amp i noticed there was a fine layer of damp dusty mould over some on the tweed. Ive wiped it all off with a antibiological detergant spray on a cloth and moved all my gear out of that room into our bedroom. The room itself is the end room and the amp was against the end outside facing wall. All my guitars were in cases on the opposite wall (i.e. an internal wall) and seem to be fine. I havent switched the amp on at all and like i said ive moved it into another room. Ive put a heater in the room and am running a dehumidifier in there as i type this. Im really just worried about any damage that may have occured to the amp. It was only a slight dusty like covering on the tweed but i am slightly worried. Anyone had any experience of stuff like this happening or have any advice?

You should be okay but just make sure that the amp is dry before you turn it on.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy