Catfish movie

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
is it real? I went into it similar to how i went into blair witch project. i didnt know if catfish was a drama, comedy, horror. all i knew was that it was a documentary and people are wondering whether its real or not.

So, for those who have seen it, is it real?

note-if you plan on seeing the movie i wouldnt investigate any stories or press on it

part of the fun seeing the film was the unexpected nature of where the film was leading. i went into it not knowing a thing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Does it answer the question "Do Catfish lock their doors at night?"
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I'm waiting for the sequel to answer all of the unanswered questions from this one before I decide to really invest myself in it.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    I have never seen the movie. but one of my friends did at the Ritz in philly. Actually they guy who "starred" in it was there taking Q & A.

Well the reason i'm bringing this movie up again is cause the same guy the documentary was about has a tv show on MTV with the same name. Actually it's pretty good for an MTV show :o :?

The premise is basically the "catfish" pretends to be someone online who they are not. They use social media to reel in their victims. the main guy tries and catch the catfish with the help of his brother. He went through this in the movie/documentary so he is well experienced in it and helps the person out through it. Pretty interesting.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I have never seen the movie. but one of my friends did at the Ritz in philly. Actually they guy who "starred" in it was there taking Q & A.

Well the reason i'm bringing this movie up again is cause the same guy the documentary was about has a tv show on MTV with the same name. Actually it's pretty good for an MTV show :o :?

The premise is basically the "catfish" pretends to be someone online who they are not. They use social media to reel in their victims. the main guy tries and catch the catfish with the help of his brother. He went through this in the movie/documentary so he is well experienced in it and helps the person out through it. Pretty interesting.

you should see the movie. i found it an interesting premise but didnt buy their obsession about documenting the online relationship from so early on. who does that??? we are all fully aware there are peeps on the internet who misrepresent themselves and who then have to scramble to cover their tracks so they dont get caught. heck i know there are people here on this forum who have been involved in such relationships on both sides.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I have never seen the movie. but one of my friends did at the Ritz in philly. Actually they guy who "starred" in it was there taking Q & A.

you should see the movie. i found it an interesting premise but didnt buy their obsession about documenting the online relationship from so early on. who does that??? we are all fully aware there are peeps on the internet who misrepresent themselves and who then have to scramble to cover their tracks so they dont get caught. heck i know there are people here on this forum who have been involved in such relationships on both sides.

I kind of forgot about this movie and this thread. I only saw it because i try and check out anything that premieres at sundance. And i also try and shy away from reading any reviews of films, so many times im going to see a film based on directors or actors or that it won the Audience Award at Sundance. I had no clue what Catfish was going to be about, and had actually begun to think it might be a horror film ala Blair Witch. I was pleasantly surprised by the film.

But its one of those films that unless you go into like i did, knowing nothing about it, not reading Eberts review, not reading any Rotten Tomatoes reviews, you arent going to get the full power of the film.

I thought it was interesting for how often you hear about stuff like this happening, but its always a friend of a friend. You never really see it first hand. And it was interesting to see how far their relationship got and how close they were to each other emotionally prior to the walls closing in on that woman in the big reveal
  • a huge part of the film was the big reveal. Lots of people know what happens in it now, so in many ways it isnt that big of a deal to them, as a result. For me, I had no idea how it would turn out or what would happen next. made for a better story.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    a huge part of the film was the big reveal. Lots of people know what happens in it now, so in many ways it isnt that big of a deal to them, as a result. For me, I had no idea how it would turn out or what would happen next. made for a better story.

like you i had no clue as to how it would end but i had an inkling otherwise why make the movie in the first place. i thought the ending was too neat and i could understand the motives behind the womans actions but that doesnt mean i buy it as truth...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we could use that service here :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788

I did. Shortly after i watched the tv show i dl the movie :shh: I thought it was pretty insightful. Not sure if it was a"fake" or not. probably some parts were I would think.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC