Options

Tom Waits' Wit & Wisdom

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
edited November 2020 in Other Music
Tom on: family, friends, kids, animals --- 1) I didn't just marry a beautiful woman, I married a record collection (on wife Kathleen Brennan)

Tom on : love --- 2) The Moon ain't romantic. It's intimidating as Hell.

Tom on: musical miscellany --- 3) Nothing beats the drama of a bullhorn.

Tom on: place --- 4) Well, for a brief time, I think everybody's lived in a car.

Tom on: random facts --- 5) In Los Angeles, it's illegal for a man to beat his wife unless he's on the courthouse steps.

Tom on: religion --- 6) Don't you know there ain't no devil, that's just God when he's drunk.

Tom on: songwriting --- 7) I've learned how to be different musical characters without feeling like I'm eclipsing myself. On the contrary, you discover a whole family living inside you.

Tom on: sounds, songs and storytellers --- 8) Kerouac

Tom on: spirits and libations --- 9) I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Tom on: the leftovers --- 10) The big print giveth and the small print taketh away.

Tom on: virtues and vice --- 11) Happiness is never perfect.
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
Post edited by Pap on

Comments

• Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Thanks for posting. I fucking love Tom Waits.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    Tom on: family, friends, kids, animals --- 1) Disneyland is Vegas for children.

Tom on : love --- 2) I've got my own double cross to bear.

Tom on: musical miscellany --- 3) A hero ain't nothing but a sandwich. (on influences) (

Tom on: place --- 4) If you get far enough away you'll be on your way back home.
    Tom on: random facts --- 5) The blue whale weighs as much as thirty elephants, is as long as three Greyhound buses, end-to-end.

Tom on: religion --- 6) God's away on business.

Tom on: songwriting --- 7)There's only one reason why you write new songs: You get sick of the old songs.
    Tom on: sounds, songs and storytellers --- 8) Dylan

Tom on: spirits and libations --- 9) The piano has been drinking, not me.
    Tom on: the leftovers --- 10) On my gravestone I want it to say ' I told you I was sick.'

Tom on: virtues and vice --- 11) Yes, there is success without college.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im stilll ploughing through barney hoskyns low side of the road. the things waits comes out with make me smile.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    Pap wrote:
    Tom on: family, friends, kids, animals --- 1) My father was an exhaust manifold and my mother was a tree.

Tom on : love --- 2) Poetry is a very dangerous word.

Tom on: musical miscellany --- 3) You know, I don't like straight lines. The problem is that most instruments are square and music is always round.

Tom on: place --- 4) I live at Bedlam & Squalor. It's that way.

Tom on: random facts --- 5) There are only two things you can throw out the window of a moving car, legally. Do you know what they are? Water. And feathers. Everything else you can get in trouble for.

Tom on: religion --- 6) Come down off the cross, we can use the wood.

Tom on: songwriting --- 7) Writing songs is like capturing birds without killing them. Sometimes you end up with nothing but a mouthful of feathers.

Tom on: sounds, songs and storytellers --- 8) Bukowski

Tom on: spirits and libations --- 9) You can pour me a cab, I just can't drink no more.

Tom on: the leftovers --- 10) Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead.

Tom on: virtues and vice --- 11) All the good in the world you can put inside a thimble.
  • Options