gibson j-45

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
probably incoming tomorrow... i've put a deposit on it anyway. i've been playing it in the shop for a couple of months.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/66 ... Handed.htm
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Those are beautiful guitars.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes. they're very spartan but with that burst finish and everything they're quite attractive. i'm looking for a fairly smokey sounding guitar so i'm hoping this is it.

i tried a songwriter deluxe studio (http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acousti ... tudio.aspx) a while ago but it was too balanced, if that makes sense. much prettier guitar but much like my larrivee in sound.

so we'll see how it goes. long & mcquade will be the death of me.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    exhausted wrote:
    yes. they're very spartan but with that burst finish and everything they're quite attractive. i'm looking for a fairly smokey sounding guitar so i'm hoping this is it.

i tried a songwriter deluxe studio (http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acousti ... tudio.aspx) a while ago but it was too balanced, if that makes sense. much prettier guitar but much like my larrivee in sound.

so we'll see how it goes. long & mcquade will be the death of me.
    That's my 'when I get a real job' guitar.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Straight outta Bozeman, eh?

I love vintage Gibson acoustics, but the new ones are just too bright for me. I'm sure that '45 will sound great in 20 or 30 years, but I don't have the patience. I know a guy with an early-70's J-50, and THAT is my favorite acoustic I've ever played.

I think if I had the money right now, I'd be getting a Taylor X14ce (X = how much money I'm willing/able to spend) for the plugged-in tone. I'm not huge on Taylors in general, but I've never encountered an acoustic-electric that sounded better with flat EQ on the board.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    my 355 12-string was forged by angels but every other taylor i've tried recently has been a log. granted, these were 3xx and 4xx but still not cheap.

we'll see how it goes with this 45.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    every other taylor i've tried recently has been a log.

That's certainly been a problem from my perspective, as well. They tend to just sound a bit dead and lifeless off the shelf, acoustically. But the Taylor Expression system is pretty much the saving grace. That's why I'd really like to have a Taylor for electric purposes, and a vintage Gibson for at home / in front of a mic.

A close friend of mine has been wanting a J-45 for ages... there are a few luthiers doing NOS-style (brand-new guitars built to vintage specs) J-45 builds, and they are crazy expensive, but very nice pieces. The soft shoulders especially make them very cool. I've always liked the J-160E, which is very similar, albeit with an alnico pup in the neck.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I still can't believe they make upside down guitars. Just kidding.

Old Gibson's are just fabulous. They really are.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    i really like this guitar.

i guess it's just the dark finish and also probably the lack of binding on the neck but it already gives off the vibe of being old. it's a June 2009 guitar so it's been played a bit in the shop and has some miles which adds to the character a bit (plus they knocked some $$$ for it).

it has the sort of smokey, muted kind of response (sort of an elliott smith or nick drake type thing) i was looking for. i don't find it bright at all. it honestly lacks volume acoustically but that's not an issue for me. i'm a hermit. i think a lot of people would be underwhelmed if they're expecting the typical modern bright and booming acoustic tone.

it's got a baggs element piezo pickup in it which is your typical, fairly terrible, piezo sound. that will get replaced someday. i actually had to do some work to the saddle to get the pick-up working properly. it was too big for the slot initially and wasn't sitting on the piezo evenly. a bit of light sanding fixed that. but i hate piezo's so i'm sure if i keep it it'll get an ibeam eventually since that's what's in my others. often times i have to record with the pickup due to noise in the house.