Options

New Kings of Leon album on website

supergrasssupergrass Posts: 48
edited October 2010 in Other Music
The new Kings of Leon album, Come Around Sundown, is available now for a legit listen at kingsofleon.com.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

I didn't hate what I heard after my first listen.
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    awesome!

I will check it out..

although I have to warn you this post will cause on-slaught of all the people on this board "who think its cool to hate KOL" now.. and spend their time posting negagive stuff instead of just not buying the CD...

(what a concept!...
    Kinda like people who disavowed Pearl Jam for selling out after the release of "Vs."

as Neil Young once sang "Doesn;t mean that much to me .. to mean that much to you"..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    This may be my favorite KOL album...tracks 1-7 are all amazing. the back half of the album isnt as good, but I really like "Mi Amigo"
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,035
    This album is really growing on me. Favorite song on the album - "Back Down South"
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Just listened

.. this will be the biggest commercial success KOL has ever had...

(cringe for cries of 'sell outs"!)

Caleb's voice is just epic whiskey-soaked baritone throughout..

here is my track by track assessment:

The End = great song , has the immediate feel of "Arizona" to it.. very catchy!

Radioactive = standard KOL reggae styled anthem rocker, haunting backing vocal howls.

Pyro = feels like old time KOL aka: "california dreaming", with a touch of "everybody wants to rule the world" from tears for fears... see if you agree?

Mary- Ballad, not feeling it just yet.. give me time.

The Face - Strong vocal; great torch song of love lost..

may be the target of many of the KOL haters for its radio friendly-ness.

The Immortals - One of my immediate favorites, feel like something the Police would have done on their Zenyadda Mondatta album... echoey strums with a boucning bass..

Back Down South - Another killer song, a major hit..(the drummer keeps calling this "Southbound" on the video interview): Obvious huge infulence from The Band and a little bit of Black Crowes mixed in..

Beachside: the only dud on the CD IMO ..Meh.. not digging it..kind of cocktail music like..

No Money: Classic KOL rocker

Pony: This is my favorite track on the whole CD! The groove is absolutley addictive. vocals are stellar.

Birthday : Feels like a homage to late 70's early 80's Paul Carrack style vocals / Crowded House & Squeeze influenced muisc..very unbashful pop song.. a good track!

Mi Amigo: Great tune! Once again an obvious nod the The Band , Little Feat and a bit of Los lobos..

Pickup Truck: classic KOL reggae in the theme of "Knocked up"

I like it ......................ALOT!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I'm really digging this album.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I thought I was going to hate this but it's growing on me. There are some very good tracks.

Standout songs so far

The End
    Pyro
    Mary
    Back Down South
    No Money
    Mi Amigo
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Surprisingly it is a very good album. I say surprisingly because I can't stand the single I have been hearing on the radio. Easily one of my least favorites on the album. But the rest of the songs are very good.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Did I her it right in "Mi Amigo" at the 2:45 mark?
    "Tells me I got a big 'ol dick, and she wants my ass home..." lol! Even if I'm wrong on that one, it's still my favorite tune on the record.

I gotta say, I was a little bored listening to it mostly. Although it will be a commecial success, I didn't hear a super-catchy hook like a "Sex on Fire" or "Use Somebody".

I'd give it a 3 out of 5 rating. Songs are good, just wish there was something that really shredded on it.
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Did I her it right in "Mi Amigo" at the 2:45 mark?
    "Tells me I got a big 'ol dick, and she wants my ass home..." lol! Even if I'm wrong on that one, it's still my favorite tune on the record.
    That's what I hear too! Hilarious.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,097
    Well on first listen it sounded like.."tells me I gotta big ole dick and she wants my asshole"...I about pooped the pants when I first heard it and my buddy and I have been laughing about that since
    someone needs to clarify that lyric...could be a classic miquote...like "There's a bathroom on the right" aka CCR's Bad Moon Rising

As far as the record goes..this is like their No Code..IMO...def more challenging to listen to than their last record, but I think I like it better.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Really like what I have heard off the album so far.

I really don't get all the KOL hate on here now, but the last album wasn't bad. It was definitely more polished and yeah it spawned 3 radio sinlges, but it still had some great songs on it.
    This new album sounds more like the older albums.
    For the original post regarding Mi Amigo song- lol yeah I hear it too.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Ive been telling my friend the same thing about "Mi Amigo"!
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    red mos wrote:
    Really like what I have heard off the album so far.

I really don't get all the KOL hate on here now, but the last album wasn't bad. It was definitely more polished and yeah it spawned 3 radio sinlges, but it still had some great songs on it.
    This new album sounds more like the older albums.
    For the original post regarding Mi Amigo song- lol yeah I hear it too.
    I think the problem a lot of people had with OBTN was it was so different and was definitely aimed at bringing in a wider base of fans. My wife was converted by it and she once asked me what the hell was I playing with the earlier albums. OBTN did have some songs that stunk the place out but a few really good ones.

I agree it didn't deserve the hatred that was poured on them. Let's face it Backspacer is a much more commercial album.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,521
    I've listened to a few songs and it's not doing it for me--kinda boring. But then again I'm one of those who really liked OBTN and didn't care for their older stuff.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    yawnfest

AND i liked OBTN and the older stuff.

not a bad album, just very mellow.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    you guys are f**ed up..

I LOVE this CD..

"Pony up" especially has one of the most funky basslines of any song..

Caleb's singing is TOP FriggIn Notch..

'Birthday" is great too..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford