Fantasy books

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
as my personal life seems an utter disaster, i need a book that i can curl up with, especially given the changing weather. a book, you could start a fire, then curl up in a blanket with.

im thinking a fantasy type book. any suggestions in the fantasy genre? What are some books that i can completely become engrossed in the plot and characters and story?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series - 30 books or so, characters come and go throughout. Fantasy for sure, but with a great sense of humor.

I'd also recommend some Graphic Novels. Neil Gaiman's Sandman Series, and Bill Willingham's Fables. Either of those are multi-book series that are worth multiple reads (and available in trade paperbacks).

Closer to Sci-Fi than fantasy, Cory Doctorow writes amazing stuff. All of his books are protected under creative commons, and he allows them to be download for free (pdf or epub versions). You can download them from his website: http://craphound.com/
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • The Traveler, The Dark River, and The Golden City all by John Twelve Hawkes.
    As I write highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me. - George Orwell
  • Try this; Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

It's a 5 part series, it's not got a lot of magic and stuff like that it's a very intricate character based story about different houses fighting for power. Bit like a cross between the war of the roses and McBeth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-So ... 526&sr=8-1
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Try this; Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

It's a 5 part series, it's not got a lot of magic and stuff like that it's a very intricate character based story about different houses fighting for power. Bit like a cross between the war of the roses and McBeth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-So ... 526&sr=8-1
    I was going to suggest this. I just started it and I'm about half way through. I've been enjoying it. It will be made into an HBO series next year.

Oh and I'll second the Neil Gaimen Sandman graphic novels. If you've never read comics like that and you think they are just for kids the Sandman series will change your mind quickly.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    This may be a silly little question...you've read the Potter books right?
    Wonderment beyond words
    I've covered them numerous times now finding new tidbits through each read. :D
  • Jitterbug Perfume... a PERFECT fantasy book for cool fall weather, longer nights, a crackling fire and the smell of candy corn permeating your castle. This is no Harry Potter novella... this one may be a challenge for some.

http://www.amazon.com/Jitterbug-Perfume ... 0553348981
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    Jitterbug Perfume... a PERFECT fantasy book for cool fall weather, longer nights, a crackling fire and the smell of candy corn permeating your castle. This is no Harry Potter novella... this one may be a challenge for some.

if you mean scarier, harry is scary enough for me! :D
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    Can't go wrong with The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - especially the first 6 books or so.

I also love "Prelude to Foundation" by Isaac Asimov.

Since Terry Pratchett was mentioned earlier in the thread, one book I really enjoyed was "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents". It's a rather bizarre take on the whole Pied Piper story. It's a very fast (and fun) read.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • pandora wrote:
    Jitterbug Perfume... a PERFECT fantasy book for cool fall weather, longer nights, a crackling fire and the smell of candy corn permeating your castle. This is no Harry Potter novella... this one may be a challenge for some.

no, not scarier... some people can't get their brains wrapped around Robbins' books because he can hang on to a metaphor for PAGES and the story can sometimes slow down too much for some people. But those are my favorite parts - he can have me laughing out loud one paragraph and rethinking existence as I know it within the next paragraph. I know 3 people that have read it (besides myself) and all 3 claim it as their favorite book (and me, too).
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I don't read many fantasy books but Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

You can't go wrong.
    pandora wrote:

no, not scarier... some people can't get their brains wrapped around Robbins' books because he can hang on to a metaphor for PAGES and the story can sometimes slow down too much for some people. But those are my favorite parts - he can have me laughing out loud one paragraph and rethinking existence as I know it within the next paragraph. I know 3 people that have read it (besides myself) and all 3 claim it as their favorite book (and me, too).
    cool that sounds like something I would like..I'll check it out
    I am a fan of descriptive funny authors
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Tad Williams - Otherland (4 book series)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    pandora wrote:

Tom Robbins is cool. I have not read this book. I read another one of his I want to say it was even cowgirls get the blues. I enjoyed it.

Oh and someone mentioned Robert Jordan. For some reason i never finished the wheel of time series but i remember enjoying the ones i read so i'll tip my cap to those as well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Drizzt book's by R.A. Salvatore, about a black elf in the forgotten realms universe, kind of a mixture of Wolverine and Captian America, 20 or so books, kicks ass! Salvatore writes fights scene's like nobody else.

other authors to check out are,

Neil Gaiman <-- is a God among men.
    Robert Heinlein
    Isaac Asminov
    Terry Goodkind
    Terry Brooks
    Terry Prachett
    Naomi Novik
    David Eddings
    Kristen Britain
    Charlaine Harris
    Peter S. Beagle
    This thread got me thinking so i did a google search and found this site that list what they believe to be the 25 best fantasy novels. They also have a list of the 25 best fantasy series as well.

Not Saying it is correct becuase i have not read many but i thought the OP might find it interesting:

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    So i'm about to finish up a string of Sci Fi books and i know the next three fantasy books i want to read just not sure of the order.

Anyone read any or all of the three care to share which is their favorites?
    Tigana- Guy Gavriel Kay
    Perdido Street Station- China Mieville
    Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss

Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    So i'm about to finish up a string of Sci Fi books and i know the next three fantasy books i want to read just not sure of the order.

Anyone read any or all of the three care to share which is their favorites?
    Tigana- Guy Gavriel Kay
    Perdido Street Station- China Mieville
    Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss

I've read Perdido Street Station and to be honest I wasn't that impressed but don't let me put you off reading it. I think some people could (and have) really dug it but not for me. I've certainly read a lot worse but I dunno I think it was just the world itself didn't sit right with me and with a book like that if that happens it's game over. It is a highly rated novel.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Dragonlance - the chronicles trilogy then legends trilogy - best ever.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Series that I have read and enjoyed from this genre:

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson
    The 'Earthsea' series - Ursula Le Guin
    His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
    The Belgariad - David Eddings
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    @Digital Twilight- That sucks :( i was kind of excited abotu it because of the world. I had heard its a bit different and i've never read any steampunk stuff and I thought it had that kind of feel to it. I'm still gonna read it but bummed you did not like it

@indifference- Although i may not agree with the Dragonlance being the best ever i have read them and enjoyed them quite a bit at the time of their reading.

@tremors- I want to read the Chonicles of Thomas Covenant and the Earthsea at some point, i just have so many others i want to read first :( but they are on the list just not the short list :)
    i am not familar with the other two
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Drizzt book's by R.A. Salvatore, about a black elf in the forgotten realms universe, kind of a mixture of Wolverine and Captian America, 20 or so books, kicks ass! Salvatore writes fights scene's like nobody else.
    These! Excellent books. I'm halfway through the new one now.
    Start here: http://www.amazon.com/Homeland-Trilogy-Forgotten-Realms-Legend/dp/0786939532/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319051127&sr=1-1
    intodeep wrote:

@tremors- I want to read the Chonicles of Thomas Covenant and the Earthsea at some point, i just have so many others i want to read first :( but they are on the list just not the short list :)
    i am not familar with the other two

I don't read fiction all the time, but I go through phases - and in those phases I want to read books like these. Thomas Covenant is a true classic of the field - I would say any Fantasy lover would get a hell of a lot from these. Earthsea is a bit tamer in way - but spiritual, philosophical, thoughtful, magical, pretty deep. When I read some fantasy books I get put off by too much occult or fucked up content, which sometimes creeps in - so sometimes if I want something new I look at what the kids are reading. Philip Pullman His Dark Materials is one of those - I think it's better than H Potter, which I never really got on with - His Dark Materials seems that much more 'grown up'. Another interesting series which works for both young people and adults is 'Mortal Engines' by Philip Reeve - very imaginative kind of steam cyber punk, with London as a huge mobile city - I like that series too.

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Anything by Douglas Adams! :thumbup: Sure, it's got the sci-fi-ness, but it's all very fantastic. :mrgreen:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    tremors wrote:

That was going to be my first suggestion....Watership Down is another winner.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:
    tremors wrote:

I'm going to have to go back and re-read Thomas Covenant. I read it as a teenager, and really grew to hate it by the end. Be interesting to go back to it and see if my perspective has changed, from what I remember that one was pretty deep.

Watership Down is a classic. Seconded.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    merkinball wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    tremors wrote:

I'm going to have to go back and re-read Thomas Covenant. I read it as a teenager, and really grew to hate it by the end. Be interesting to go back to it and see if my perspective has changed, from what I remember that one was pretty deep.

Yeah, I read it when I was about 17 - I loved the whole thing - the ending was fabulous. I think if I re-read it today I might find some parts of it a bit more dubious (morally?) - especially the whole premise at the beginning. I don't know really.... it was very powerful writing overall!

• The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is pretty excellent. 11 books, a complete series; gets better and better the deeper it goes. Stay away from the tv show after reading.

I often wonder how The Wheel of Time would hold up to new reader blind (or deaf) of the criticizms that older readers (like me) have of it. I started reading it when Lord of Chaos was in hardcover, and by the time I got to it it was in paperback. Up until that point, the books were yearly releases. Soon after 2,3,4 year waits were the norm (hell, I even bought the coffee table book, i was so starved for material). The characters split 9 different directions. Mat was left out of a novel. The characters that were in, only got a couple chapters each because there were so many in so many different areas. Hardly fullfilling after a long, long wait. I never finished Knife of Dreams and it still bothers me, but i have no will to finish it. I wonder if someone started it fresh now, without having the long delays, if the story would seem to bog down to the slow crawl I feel it ended up in. Which is a shame, because I think the first 7 books have great momentum and are tremendous reads (I've probably read them all each 5 times).
    I only read teh first book. Which i liked, but then i got into a "not reading mode" and by the time i was back in a reading mode i had read so much bad stuff about a lot of the middle books I just thought there has to be better stuff out there to occupy my time.

Maybe someday but I think there is a lot of other stuff i want to read first.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    While it's not everybody's cup of tea, I enjoyed the collections of Robert E. Howard's works....three Conan book...Solomon Kane....Kull....his collected horror stories.....and Bran Mak Morn...all foundation work for most today's fantasy work.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Dragonlance - the chronicles trilogy then legends trilogy - best ever.
    Margaret Weis has co-authored numerous great series. The Deathgate Cycle is also a great one. I have a copy of the first one if you'd like to borrow it(541)579-4347.

Can't go wrong with any Asimov but that Sci-Fi as opposed to Fantasy.
    #FHP