Any car audio experts on here?

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Looking for a sub in the 300 watt range to listen to PJ concerts and other music in that genre.

What sub would you recommend?
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    1) How much room do you have?
    2) What amp are you using?
    3) Budget?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    1. It's going in a access cab truck, so room isn't a major issue.
    2. Alpine PDX 5
    3. $150ish+-
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Ive had my Rockford Fosgate woofers for 10+ years now...they sound great...no complaints and/or problems...they've been in two different cars - matched w/ an RF amp...shit had it all so long, i dont even remember the watts on the amp...hmm..now im curious :think:

If your not going to install yourself...DO NOT GO TO BEST BUY to have it done. Them 16 year olds getting paid minimum wage will fuk your shit up...ive heard nothing but horror stories coming from that place...find yourself a nice little no name car stereo place with a good history.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

Ive had my Rockford Fosgate woofers for 10+ years now...they sound great...no complaints and/or problems...they've been in two different cars - matched w/ an RF amp...shit had it all so long, i dont even remember the watts on the amp...hmm..now im curious :think:

If your not going to install yourself...DO NOT GO TO BEST BUY to have it done. Them 16 year olds getting paid minimum wage will fuk your shit up...ive heard nothing but horror stories coming from that place...find yourself a nice little no name car stereo place with a good history.

i'll do it myself. the wiring is already done. just need to run the rca cables for the sub from the HU to the amp. I have a smaller amp running the door speakers now. just need to flip flop amps and hook up the sub.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I'm assuming you will run the mono channel on the PDX 5 at 2 ohms for the sub........

I would give one of these a shot, either the 12 or 15":

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio. ... shopscript
  • check out rockford then...they have lots of different options depending on your price range
    if not them, i know a bunch of people who swear by JL/JBL Audio as well
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

UpSideDown wrote:
    I'm assuming you will run the mono channel on the PDX 5 at 2 ohms for the sub........

that's a good question. it must be ablet auto select ohms. i just checked the owners manual, couldn't find a switch. :?:

I assume two would be better?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    check out rockford then...they have lots of different options depending on your price range

i'm looking at the Jl audio 10w3v3. On one of my other forums, it is a popular choice and fits the price point as long as i don't use crutchfield :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    check out rockford then...they have lots of different options depending on your price range

i'm looking at the Jl audio 10w3v3. On one of my other forums, it is a popular choice and fits the price point as long as i don't use crutchfield :lol:

good luck...plus, the longer you wait into the "winter" season, the cheaper the prices I assume...not as much business in the car stereo world when its cold out...at least where Im from.

81 wrote:
    UpSideDown wrote:

that's a good question. it must be ablet auto select ohms. i just checked the owners manual, couldn't find a switch. :?:

The impedance is determined simply by the wiring of your subs. I just glanced at the specs for that amp, but it looks like it puts full power out at 2 ohms (on the sub channel only). Running at 4 ohms would only give you 150 watts RMS. It probably isn't designed to drop down to 1 ohm.

You would want either a sub that is a single 2, or a dual 4 (which can be wired in parallel down to 2 ohms).
    81 wrote:

good luck...plus, the longer you wait into the "winter" season, the cheaper the prices I assume...not as much business in the car stereo world when its cold out...at least where Im from.

You won't see that much price fluctuation, especially when looking at JL.
    UpSideDown wrote:
    81 wrote:
    UpSideDown wrote:

The impedance is determined simply by the wiring of your subs. I just glanced at the specs for that amp, but it looks like it puts full power out at 2 ohms (on the sub channel only). Running at 4 ohms would only give you 150 watts RMS. It probably isn't designed to drop down to 1 ohm.

You would want either a sub that is a single 2, or a dual 4 (which can be wired in parallel down to 2 ohms).

I read thru the owners manual and it showed 300 for both 2 and 4. I agree that normally the watts are cut in half as you go up in ohms from two to four.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Just out of curiousity....are you going to build your own box?

And.....ported or sealed?
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Just out of curiousity....are you going to build your own box?

And.....ported or sealed?

i was thinking of building, but i don't have a table saw or other cutting device to get straight lines so i will most likely buy.

i was going to go sealed. i'm looking for clean and crisp
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Lowe's will do the cuts for free if you give them the dimensions after buying the 4x8' MDF sheet. Doesn't always come out perfect, but nothing that some wood glue/liquid nails can't fix.

A Rotozip is good to use for the actual hole cutout.

I am an advocate of ported boxes for most setups.
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Lowe's will do the cuts for free if you give them the dimensions after buying the 4x8' MDF sheet. Doesn't always come out perfect, but nothing that some wood glue/liquid nails can't fix.

A Rotozip is good to use for the actual hole cutout.

I am an advocate of ported boxes for most setups.

:lol:

a custom box would be nice since it could be made to fit into the back of my cab and be less invasive. I'll have to think about this piece a little more. a simple box, assuming it fits behind the seat would be fine. it doesn't need to be fancy.

i'm not looking bass to shake and rattle everything. just a nice bass to fill out the rest. i want to keep it simple and easy, ie sealed. but if you can make a case for ported for my type of music, i will listen.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    this is a question i have too.
    i need new stuff someday.
    i have no clue where to start.

my car is a piece of shit because im an idiot and cant care of anything.
    the system used to rock.
    pioneer premier, some badass pioneer amp, some badass pioneer twin speaker sub box.
    interior speakers were always factory.
    this sounded great for years.
    now almost 200,000 miles later
    14,000,000 stereo hours...

when i get rich im buying some good shit for another piece of shit car.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

the system used to rock.
    pioneer premier, some badass pioneer amp, some badass pioneer twin speaker sub box.

repalce the crappy speakers that came with the car. :lol:

i've got a 4 channel amp i'm going to sell after i get my new amp. you wanna buy it. it's a ncie amp, just not super powerful. Alpine MRP F250. Then all you would need is some speakers to repalce the factory speakers. you'd be rockin

don't tell Kat i offered to sell it on here :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

a custom box would be nice since it could be made to fit into the back of my cab and be less invasive. I'll have to think about this piece a little more. a simple box, assuming it fits behind the seat would be fine. it doesn't need to be fancy.

i'm not looking bass to shake and rattle everything. just a nice bass to fill out the rest. i want to keep it simple and easy, ie sealed. but if you can make a case for ported for my type of music, i will listen.

Sealed box will certainly get the job done. Ported box may not be worth the extra effort/complications if you are just looking for some solid bass.

You can't go wrong with the JL, although I would choose the Fi X series over it myself. More efficient, higher x-max, the rareness factor, and not to mention cheaper.
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

the system used to rock.

repalce the crappy speakers that came with the car. :lol:

i've got a 4 channel amp i'm going to sell after i get my new amp. you wanna buy it. it's a ncie amp, just not super powerful. Alpine MRP F250. Then all you would need is some speakers to repalce the factory speakers. you'd be rockin

don't tell Kat i offered to sell it on here :lol:
    true...
    i need the blown factory speakers ripped out of there.

im not a handy guy like that tho...
    see how it will always cost me a bunch of money?

i dont or cant do mechanical work, nothing... im useless.
    i can barely hook up a home stereo.
    and those are difficult.

had a yamaha home stereo, pioneer stereo shit, infinity & yamaha speakers...
    what a disaster.

im useless i tell ya
    useless

unless its poetry, trees, women, or drugs... im lost and have no clue

71, i need your help...

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    UpSideDown wrote:
    81 wrote:

Sealed box will certainly get the job done. Ported box may not be worth the extra effort/complications if you are just looking for some solid bass.

You can't go wrong with the JL, although I would choose the Fi X series over it myself. More efficient, higher x-max, the rareness factor, and not to mention cheaper.

i'll do some digging on the Fi. I've never heard of that brand until today.

Thanks for you input.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    true...

and those are difficult.

what a disaster.

im useless i tell ya
    useless

71, i need your help...

you are such a dork.

it's super easy to install car spearks. i've done them on multiple cars. normally, it's just a few screws here and there. a little bit of wiring. if you can do a subwoofer install, you can do the other speakers.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    true...

and those are difficult.

what a disaster.

im useless i tell ya
    useless

71, i need your help...

you are such a dork.

it's super easy to install car spearks. i've done them on multiple cars. normally, it's just a few screws here and there. a little bit of wiring. if you can do a subwoofer install, you can do the other speakers.
    are you out of your mind?
    i never installed none of that shit in my car

sure i can wire a speaker up.
    positive, negative
    easy shit...

im not climbing inside and up into my trunk.
    im almost crippled as it is
    fuck that...

besides im waiting for the entire ball of wax to blow up one day.
    wait... im starting a thread on lincolns

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

positive, negative
    easy shit...

fuck that...

wanna buy a tacoma that is already wired with speakers installed?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

positive, negative
    easy shit...

fuck that...

wanna buy a tacoma that is already wired with speakers installed?
    tacoma
    that town stinks

the trucks are pretty decent from what i hear.
    me buying your truck? not now 81, no.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce