Boss ST-2 Power Stack

SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
edited April 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone know anything about this new distortion pedal? It just came out. I ordered one from Sweetwater in search of a "Marshall gain" tone. I have not had much luck finding a Guv'nor pedal so I thought I'd try one of these out. They sounded pretty good to me on the clips....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_mSjeQ8Wco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSFYWPu0LI
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Don't know about this one, but the fender tone pedals they put out a few years ago got some pretty good reviews. Judging from the videos, which in itself is always a little problematic, it could be a pretty cool stomp box. Let us know how it sounds when you get it!
  • SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
    I've had this pedal for about 5 months and hardly use it. It sounds ok but it's way too noisy for me on the higher gain settings. It's going up for sale on ebay. Someones gonna get a great deal since there is no more than 1 hour of play time on this thing.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Ah, the price of early adoption. Sucks when you're excited for a brand-new piece of gear, and then it turns out to be a lemon. Or at least, not what you expected.

Ever tried a ProCo Rat? That's always been my "Marshall in a box" pedal.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Thanks for the response. Is that Rat a noisy pedal when you get the gain turned way up? I have a BBE Green Screamer and a Big Muff.... Would the Rat give me different tones? Thanks !!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Rat is a distortion, which is right in the middle of the Green Screamer (overdrive) and Big Muff (fuzz). It's not the highest-fidelity distortion out there, although the Keeley mod is a tad better than stock. But I've never had a problem with distortion pedals having a bit of noise, so...

If you're looking for a really quiet pedal, you might wanna look at higher-end boutique stuff, like Zvex Box of Rock, Fulltone Fulldrive & OCD, or Lovepedal Purple Plexi.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If you're looking for a really quiet pedal, you might wanna look at higher-end boutique stuff, like Zvex Box of Rock, Fulltone Fulldrive & OCD, or Lovepedal Purple Plexi.

i have a box of rock and a fulltone ocd. both are essential parts of my tone and i would recommend both of them to anybody in a heartbeat.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I don't mind noise but the ST-2 was over the top. I will check out these suggestions. I've been thinking about a Rat or Guvnor for a while.
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    SalJam wrote:
    I don't mind noise but the ST-2 was over the top. I will check out these suggestions. I've been thinking about a Rat or Guvnor for a while.

+1, have yet to find the sweet spot with this one. Got an octave pedal as a gift, didn't care for it so I returned it to sweetwater for this one. Have since found a guv'nor and prefer it much more.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • For Distortion/Overdrive, I bought a TC Electronic Nova Drive. ProGuitarShop has specials on them all the time, selling them for around $150 rather than the current $250. I've had mine now for around 6-8 months and use it religiously. You have the choice of using just the overdrive or just the distortion, or both. You can also choose what way you want the signal to flow, so if you want distortion first you can choose that. Same goes for the overdrive. Mainly nowadays I have a Boss ME-70 so I use the distortion on it and overdrive it with my Nova Drive and I can get some brilliant tones.

In saying that, I have a DS-1 and SD-1 (Boss Distortion & Super Distortion respectively) and I love them dearly as well. I can get some excellent Pearl Jam tones, right through to Alter Bridge and even Slipknot (If I so desired, which I don't) with this rig. :)