Facebook versus Myspace

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I remember when Facebook hit, I remember some guy in my dorm, in 2004 or so, talking about this cool site, called Facebook. It seemed like Facebook at that time was the "new it thing". Then it seemed like MySpace was the main place people congregated online. And now Facebook is the main place.

My question is why did Facebook hit a rough patch a few years ago? Conversely why did MySpace rise? And whats to account for Myspace's nosedive as of late?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Initially, you had to be enrolled in a college to belong to facebook. Once this feature ended Facebook tookover in popularity.

Myspace pages were/are too loud, too many graphics and temp internet files that you had to download in order to look at a page. Facebook is much cleaner which made it faster and simpler to navigate which is why it is winning.

I'm not sure about this, but I also think Facebook may have first initiated the private profile security settings which also won over the masses.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Plus I think Facebook is way more phone friendly
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Initially, you had to be enrolled in a college to belong to facebook. Once this feature ended Facebook tookover in popularity.

Myspace pages were/are too loud, too many graphics and temp internet files that you had to download in order to look at a page. Facebook is much cleaner which made it faster and simpler to navigate which is why it is winning.

I'm not sure about this, but I also think Facebook may have first initiated the private profile security settings which also won over the masses.

ive never had a facebook or myspace page before so im a novice reguarding it. but isnt the point of having such a page, to get people to view it? I never understood those who have their profiles as private or only viewable to friends
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Initially, you had to be enrolled in a college to belong to facebook. Once this feature ended Facebook tookover in popularity.

ive never had a facebook or myspace page before so im a novice reguarding it. but isnt the point of having such a page, to get people to view it? I never understood those who have their profiles as private or only viewable to friends

You want people to view it who are within your network of friends. You don't want complete strangers, marketing execs, sex preds, or con artists viewing it.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025

You want people to view it who are within your network of friends. You don't want complete strangers, marketing execs, sex preds, or con artists viewing it.
    Or does he? :think: :think: :think: :shh:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Initially, you had to be enrolled in a college to belong to facebook. Once this feature ended Facebook tookover in popularity.
    popularity in terms of sheer numbers, yes

i still think losing the college exclusivity is the worst thing to happen with the site... goes against everything it was originally made for... and i hate how big a part of culture it has become

on the other hand it is nice to talk to family on the other side of the world

guess i'm torn :|
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

or people who you graduated high school with and have no idea who the fuck they are and don't really care for who they are.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    seeing the social network tonight. i will be able to answer your question afterwords :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025
    popularity in terms of sheer numbers, yes

i still think losing the college exclusivity is the worst thing to happen with the site... goes against everything it was originally made for... and i hate how big a part of culture it has become

on the other hand it is nice to talk to family on the other side of the world

guess i'm torn :|
    for that right there its worth it. I've been able to converse with my brother FAR more often than otherwise. He's stationed in Guam, while I live in Ohio. 14 hour time difference.

In addition to that , the friends I've made here that cant or dont post here since the pay to post deal.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,830
    I joined myspace in '05? Haven't been n it in over a year, mainly because no one uses it and everyone i know uses facebook now. Joined facebook in '08 mainly cuz my sister was the only one i knew who was using it. Myspace was cool cuz you could add your own "flair" to it (pics, videos, etc...) I liked my page a lot. ALso the music was better on myspace than facebook.

http://www.myspace.com/eeriepadave

I like facebook now, reconnected with tons of people who i haven't seen in years.

Suppose to see Social Network tonight as well.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Myspace seems trashy and Facebook seems clean.