Social skills and businesses

justamjustam Posts: 21,408
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Waste you customers time casually or make them feel valued? Which way is your business gonna go?

I had a strange morning today. Friday mornings are the only mornings I don't have to teach so I put my household chores and appointments onto Friday mornings.

Today I took my son and myself to a new dentist. I couldn't believe that they would waste three hours of our day like this. This was just an ex-ray and exam appointment. When I arrived at 9 am, they gave me 16 pages of forms to fill out. Next, they took ex-rays of my son and did his check-up. At TEN-THIRTY, they took my ex-rays. Then, they put me in a room (while my son was left in the waiting room!!!) to wait for the dentist. After twenty minutes I asked WHEN the dentist would see me (thinking about my son getting back to school) and the assistant said it would be ANOTHER half hour before the dentist would be able to see me.

So, I said I'd take my son back to school in that half hour...I drove my son back to school...I signed him in, and made it back to the office before he came to talk to me!! Then, he spent ten minutes looking at my teeth and ex-rays and decided I had to come back another day for a cleaning.

I was there for THREE hours when I could have been in and out of there in 45 minutes in New York.

I felt so angry at the lack of consideration for my day!!! This is a brand new dentist. I don't think I'm going to stay with him very long. :geek: ;):lol:

When I mentioned that I thought the wait was unreasonable, he said "Well, is there anywhere else you can get in and out of quickly?" :shock:

What an ass!!! :twisted:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    justam wrote:
    When I mentioned that I thought the wait was unreasonable, he said "Well, is there anywhere else you can get in and out of quickly?" :shock:

did he really say that?!?! :shock:

fuck him... and don't go back

could you tell if it was especially busy? or did it seem like this was business as usual?

either way, he was out of lie for that remark
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i agree w/ Norm....don't go back there. that's ridiculous!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited October 2010
    norm wrote:
    justam wrote:

could you tell if it was especially busy? or did it seem like this was business as usual?

I agree. I thought it was ridiculous!

It was a big office, but even the receptionist was bad when I first called. I only chose this dentist because he was close by and on our provider list from the university. He's lucky his assistant held the room for me while I drove my son back to school. If he hadn't I would have been more obviously livid to the dentist. :evil:
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    norm wrote:
    justam wrote:

I agree. I thought he it was ridiculous!

It was a big office, but even the receptionist was bad when I first called. I only chose this dentist because he was close by and on our provider list from the university. He's lucky his assistant held the room for me while I drove my son back to school. If he hadn't I would have been livid. :evil:

you should see if there is a website like yelp but for doctors etc and give him a bad review...or maybe you can do it on yelp...either way, the only way people like this might change their ways is if their shitty attitudes start to hurt their business
    Yeah. He'll lose FOUR patients because I told my husband that I didn't think this was the practice for us. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    justam wrote:
    Hell even the DMV doesn't take that long!

I would totally go to another dentist, and then call them from that office and say "yeah I got in and out quicker than at your bitchass office....asshole!"

Or yeah just go to another dentist lol

It's amazing how people think they can run a business like that. I think the kicker is that they won't be running it very long. It's sad when good customer service is a godsend nowadays, it's more the exception than the rule. I know even with my tiny art business I try to be good to everyone! Beyond good business sense, it's just being decent too.
    It IS good sense.

It was such a contrast to my experience later in the day.

When I got home, I went to the grocery store. It's a big grocery store. I shop there every Friday morning. The checker that I see is a woman about my age who is from Pakistan. I always chat with her. The person who puts the groceries in the bag (sometimes) is a grandfatherly man from Cuba. This pair is always friendly. We chat about the week. We smile because we've been talking every Friday for the last year or so. They gave me FLOWERS today. In fact, they often give me flowers. I don't know why they do it, but, they do.

It makes me (and them) happy because we are always happy to see each other.

What a contrast to the dentist's office!!! :P
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    It IS good sense.

It was such a contrast to my experience later in the day.

When I got home, I went to the grocery store. It's a big grocery store. I shop there every Friday morning. The checker that I see is a woman about my age who is from Pakistan. I always chat with her. The person who puts the groceries in the bag (sometimes) is a grandfatherly man from Cuba. This pair is always friendly. We chat about the week. We smile because we've been talking every Friday for the last year or so. They gave me FLOWERS today. In fact, they often give me flowers. I don't know why they do it, but, they do.

It makes me (and them) happy because we are always happy to see each other.

What a contrast to the dentist's office!!! :P
    That is so sweet about the flowers! That is a nice juxtaposition to the dentist for sure :) I love positive interactions like that during the day with folks you encounter all the time. This one bus driver I see most the times in the morning is always so nice....he'll even wait for me if he sees me rushing to grab the bus lol he gives compliments to everyone, it's really cool.
    let me ask you this...

would you go to another grocery store was cheaper but had the people skills as demonstrated in the dentist office or would you continue to go to the store you go to now with the friendly checker and pay more for your groceries?

i will almost always pay more and have a pleasant experience...life is too short to deal with bullshit :D
    norm wrote:
    let me ask you this...

would you go to another grocery store was cheaper but had the people skills as demonstrated in the dentist office or would you continue to go to the store you go to now with the friendly checker and pay more for your groceries?

i will almost always pay more and have a pleasant experience...life is too short to deal with bullshit :D
    Amen!!

I'd rather lose money than my temper lol
    That is so sweet about the flowers! That is a nice juxtaposition to the dentist for sure :) I love positive interactions like that during the day with folks you encounter all the time. This one bus driver I see most the times in the morning is always so nice....he'll even wait for me if he sees me rushing to grab the bus lol he gives compliments to everyone, it's really cool.

That is cool. It makes a big difference for your morning!!

I'm glad he waits for you. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    norm wrote:
    let me ask you this...

Amen!!

I'd rather lose money than my temper lol

Oh, me too. (!!!!)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    norm wrote:
    let me ask you this...

I value good people skills quite a lot.

I've spent years teaching my sons to have good people skills. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:

It really does, it's a nice way to start the day! My assigned compliment is my smile...and I'm glad he waits, cuz I don't ever feel like running. I'll only run if someone is chasing me with a knife :lol:
    justam wrote:

It really does, it's a nice way to start the day! My assigned compliment is my smile...and I'm glad he waits, cuz I don't ever feel like running. I'll only run if someone is chasing me with a knife :lol:

LOL! :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&