LeBron James, manager: Race a factor

2»

Comments

• RW81233 wrote:
    in principle, what is so completely different between Lebron, Elway, and Eli?

It's completely different. Analogy:

San Diego Chargers: Eli, will you go out on a date with me?

Eli: No, my dad says you're no good for me.

San Diego Chargers: Fine, whatever. I'll go get me some Philip Rivers.

Eli: Yeah you do that.

On the other hand.....

Cleveland Cavaliers: I THOUGHT YOU SAID WE'D BE TOGETHER FOREVER!!!

Lebron: Sorry baby girl. You just ain't got what I need no more.

Cleveland Cavaliers: It's that Miami Heat SLUT isn't it!? I knew you were seeing her behind my back!

Lebron: Sorry, I never meant to hurt you but I have to what I have to do.

Cleveland Cavaliers: I HATE YOU! You ruined my entire life! I hope you die!!!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RW81233 wrote:

On the other hand.....

Cleveland Cavaliers: I THOUGHT YOU'D SAY WE'D BE TOGETHER FOREVER!!!

Cleveland Cavaliers: It's that Miami Heat SLUT isn't it!? I knew you were seeing her behind my back!

:lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    RW81233 wrote:

On the other hand.....

Cleveland Cavaliers: I THOUGHT YOU SAID WE'D BE TOGETHER FOREVER!!!

Haha...with SD: you forgot that Phillip Rivers is hotter anyway, and just because we can't have a baby doesn't mean we would have with you - and if we did it would be ugly anyway.

and after I THOUGHT YOU SAID WE"D BE TOGETHER FOREVER

Lebron: I got you pregnant early...we had a good run...don't mind the two hot girls in the car while I leave you to rot with the crappy group of friends that you choose for us to hang out with.

Still, I didn't see Sam Bradford go to the Rams and beg out, and the Rams sucked. Both Elway and Eli were arrogant, the former maybe had a reason to be because he was actually talented, the latter was just a daddy's boy doing what his pops told him to do. Basically you won't see it that way because you want to hate Lebron, and I won't see it your way because I love Lebron, love how he fucked that fuck Gilbert over, sadly the fans were "collateral damage", and I'm thinking of naming my son (due this Feb) Lebron James King-White (well at least the James part).
    Huh...so the reaction to LeBron has nothing to do with race? I mean how could he have the audacity to suggest that when 66% of black people like him, and 32% of whites like him after "the decision". http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/143016

Race isn't just about skin color, but its in social conventions and norms. When most people suggest they don't like him b/c of "the way he did it" or "that he didn't inform ownership" which are the two highest cited reasons for disliking him, that's a racially informed social norm. Corporate (white) norms suggest that you shouldn't do what he did, and be "respectful". LeBron didn't follow those which probably earned him adulation from the black people ESPN polled. Thus, as he said, this backlash is a "racial thing". That doesn't mean that you're a racist if you what he did, it just means that racial norms and codes of behavior have certainly informed what you think is the right and wrong way to take talent to south beach! I can't wait till they smash Boston to open the season next week - in Boston - home of some of the most racist fans in all of sports.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    RW81233 wrote:
    Huh...so the reaction to LeBron has nothing to do with race? I mean how could he have the audacity to suggest that when 66% of black people like him, and 32% of whites like him after "the decision". http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/143016

Race isn't just about skin color, but its in social conventions and norms. When most people suggest they don't like him b/c of "the way he did it" or "that he didn't inform ownership" which are the two highest cited reasons for disliking him, that's a racially informed social norm. Corporate (white) norms suggest that you shouldn't do what he did, and be "respectful". LeBron didn't follow those which probably earned him adulation from the black people ESPN polled. Thus, as he said, this backlash is a "racial thing". That doesn't mean that you're a racist if you what he did, it just means that racial norms and codes of behavior have certainly informed what you think is the right and wrong way to take talent to south beach! I can't wait till they smash Boston to open the season next week - in Boston - home of some of the most racist fans in all of sports.

I'm with you - I never understood why anyone outside of Cleveland really got so worked up. He probably would've stayed if Dan Gilbert had've done something to improve the team - but instead all Gilbert did was interview college coaches and check to make sure his computer had Comic Sans installed on it. LeBron wanted to win, and the Cavs weren't doing anything to help him.

If you're a Cavs fan and you're pissed that your only star left, then I completely understand. But outside of that - why the hell does anyone care? Was the TV show self-serving? Totally. Was it unnecessary? Yeah, I think so. But at the end of the day, if people are going from "LeBron is AWESOME!" to "LeBron is an ASSHOLE" simply because he left a shitty team to go and play for a better team and announced it on a lame TV special, then that's pretty lame. If I remember rightly, at the time a lot of people were buzzing and talking about who he was going to play for. Most people assumed he was already going to leave Cleveland and either team up with Jay-Z at the Nets, or play for the Knicks and build a new dynasty there. Maybe the people who are pissed off at him are New Yorkers mad about the fact that he took one look at the Knicks front office and decided that teaming with Wade and Bosh was an infinitely better option.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RW81233 wrote:

I'll still argue it wasn't a race factor. But seriously, isn't it fair to expect a bunch of closed minded idiots reducing themselves to makign racial slurs. It happens everywhere, not just in sports.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to accept the whole "race is the reason people are pissed off at me."

It's because you showed that you lack class, LeBron.

Again, just my opinion. I have no bias for Cleveland, their feelings being hurt has left no bruises on me.

I think it was obvious he was going to leave Cleveland. I'm confident that there are a large group of people who were simply disappointed by the way he went about things. It's pretty cut and dry for me. LeBron has poor character.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    If LeBron was white, people would probably be calling him a greedy honky, but I doubt that the race card would be played, even against black people that would have said something like that. If you act like a douchebag expect to get called on it, regardless of the color of your skin.
  • If LeBron was white, people would probably be calling him a greedy honky, but I doubt that the race card would be played, even against black people that would have said something like that. If you act like a douchebag expect to get called on it, regardless of the color of your skin.
    BAM! Douchebaggery is equal opportunity for all
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

I'll still argue it wasn't a race factor. But seriously, isn't it fair to expect a bunch of closed minded idiots reducing themselves to makign racial slurs. It happens everywhere, not just in sports.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to accept the whole "race is the reason people are pissed off at me."

It's because you showed that you lack class, LeBron.

Again, just my opinion. I have no bias for Cleveland, their feelings being hurt has left no bruises on me.

I think it was obvious he was going to leave Cleveland. I'm confident that there are a large group of people who were simply disappointed by the way he went about things. It's pretty cut and dry for me. LeBron has poor character.
    I suppose that's the whole point here, what to you is "character"? From our earlier convo's it means not doing a tv show that gets a 14.5 rating making a big deal about leaving town. According to the poll it's the number one thing that made people mad. If 50-55% of all white people polled hate him because they viewed "the decision" as disrespectful, and only 25% of all black people polled hate him for the same reason what accounts for that difference? Any answer you can possibly give me is rooted in race. Is it because white people think doing the decision is self-centered or cocky? Is it because black people like saying "fuck you" to the man? Is it because white people are racists and hate any self-assured black man? Is it because black people will defend other blacks being derided by the media? Is it a combination of all these and more? As he says it always has "something" to do with race.