unemployable...again

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
well it seems to be a biannual October event-- I get laid off. Never mind that I was working my ass of at that company. Never mind that they wouldn't give me one reason as to why they picked me. Now once again, I gutta get up tomorrow, file for unemployment, put my student loans in deferment, update my resume, pick a date as the cut off for when I start packing my stuff to move in with my parents, and start the whole process desperately begging for whatever crappy job I can get. Life is just a series of crap.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Lauri wrote:
    well it seems to be a biannual October event-- I get laid off. Never mind that I was working my ass of at that company. Never mind that they wouldn't give me one reason as to why they picked me. Now once again, I gutta get up tomorrow, file for unemployment, put my student loans in deferment, update my resume, pick a date as the cut off for when I start packing my stuff to move in with my parents, and start the whole process desperately begging for whatever crappy job I can get. Life is just a series of crap.

I am sorry to hear this Lauri. hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :x

Hang in there it gets better
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    breathe deep
    slow down
    relax

you'll be fine
    its a fact
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Lauri - sorry to hear of this. Hang in there and something better will come along. It's a pain, I know as I've been there, but you'll persevere and be okay. You have your health!!! That's numero uno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJdgkyOzWOs
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    81 wrote:

chadwick wrote:
    breathe deep
    slow down
    relax

you'll be fine
    its a fact

What these two said ...you'll probably get a better job and make more money.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Hang in there Lauri!

I was laid off in March 2004 when I had to take a medical leave of absence. This past March I had to have hand surgery and was approved for time off...then on my last working day, I was told to not come back. No reason, just a "Good luck with your surgery, don't come back" :twisted:
    I'm beginning to think that I'm supposed to work until I drop dead at work...literally. I busted my ass for both companies for 5 years each, I can feel your pain.
    I have been putting out resumes left and right, no dice. I have to believe that 'things happen for a reason'. Cheezy I know, but a saying I recently read said "When a door closes, we usually don't see the other door open because we are too busy looking at the closed door"
    I'm thankful that I have a place to live, and I don't have to live on the streets. I'm especially thankful to the people here who have made this time be a little more bearable.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Aero83_ wrote:
    81 wrote:

chadwick wrote:
    breathe deep
    slow down
    relax

you'll be fine
    its a fact

What these two said ...you'll probably get a better job and make more money.

well that would be nice...I just don't know what I want in a job anymore...I've never really known, but at this point I loathe the fact that I'll have to take whatever job I can find again. Everyone keeps saying I should do something different and new but what??? Like am I suddenly going to become a photographer for National Geographic or something? Most people have boring jobs, I'm one of them! My career is pretty much everything to me, even though I don't really care about it, so it kinda sucks.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    what did you do?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    what did you do?

boring stuff. I've always worked in consulting. my areas are like energy policy, environmental policy, public economics, stuff like that. Actually what would be good would be to get out energy, and more into environmental stuff, but the jobs always seem to be in electricity policy.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Lauri wrote:
    Life a series of crap and then we die or
    a series of challenges we overcome and learn from and journey on.
    A dear friend close to 60 years young found a new career after being laid off periodically. She went back to school and got into a medical field. Perhaps a career change would be what you need.
  • Sounds like you're saying you've got nothing career-wise, and 'when you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose'.

I say it's time for the career change and don't make excuses for yourself to take the road of least resistance. Do what needs to be done for you to be happy in the long run.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Good luck....I hope you find something you like and soon.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Sounds like you're saying you've got nothing career-wise, and 'when you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose'.

I say it's time for the career change and don't make excuses for yourself to take the road of least resistance. Do what needs to be done for you to be happy in the long run.

well I don't think I'm going to make a huge career change, because there's nothing I really want to change to. Like I don't have any dream careers of becoming a cupcake baker or anything. Plus my graduate degree cost so much I'll be damned if I don't use it. I just I hope to find a job with a slightly different focus.