Migraines and PJ Concerts

KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I have never been in the position (financially or otherwise) to attend a Pearl Jam concert, fortunately for me my life has changed and if PJ was to come my way (maybe this summer) - I'd sure like to try to see them.

I worry that I would get a migraine at the show as sometimes noise, crowds and stress can be triggers. Anyone who suffers from migraines knows the fear of making plans just to have them ruined by the onset of the headache.

I can usually stand the pain if I act immediately when I get that "feeling" of one coming on by using deep breathing and relaxation techniques. Of course a concert scenario isn't conducive to either of my fixes.
I have never taken prescription meds for migraines as I try to survive as naturally as possible.

Here's my question: Are any of you fans migraine sufferers? What do you do so that you can attend a concert without the fear and worry of having an episode? Are any of the prescription meds effective?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Please don't suggest drinking beer/alcohol as I can't stand the taste and get pretty badly buzzed off of a couple of sips :)

Thanks again!!!! (sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum but since it related to the hopefull and heavily rumored upcoming tour - well i took a shot)
I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    If it gets too loud, bring a Creed CD and headphones--that'll cure you.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Keiran wrote:
    I have never been in the position (financially or otherwise) to attend a Pearl Jam concert, fortunately for me my life has changed and if PJ was to come my way (maybe this summer) - I'd sure like to try to see them.

I worry that I would get a migraine at the show as sometimes noise, crowds and stress can be triggers. Anyone who suffers from migraines knows the fear of making plans just to have them ruined by the onset of the headache.

I can usually stand the pain if I act immediately when I get that "feeling" of one coming on by using deep breathing and relaxation techniques. Of course a concert scenario isn't conducive to either of my fixes.
    I have never taken prescription meds for migraines as I try to survive as naturally as possible.

Here's my question: Are any of you fans migraine sufferers? What do you do so that you can attend a concert without the fear and worry of having an episode? Are any of the prescription meds effective?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Please don't suggest drinking beer/alcohol as I can't stand the taste and get pretty badly buzzed off of a couple of sips :)

Thanks again!!!! (sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum but since it related to the hopefull and heavily rumored upcoming tour - well i took a shot)

I use to have big migranes... I was able to get off of them by cutting all sugar off. At first youll get a small headache after a couple of days of this, but you'll never get another one. Also drinking beer, especially Bud Light causes headaches for me. Drink mix drink if you need too...

Hope this helps
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    If loud noises set them off you can always bring earplugs to the concert. Most shows are loud enough that you will still hear everything, but the sound will be dampened enough that it won't blast your ears.
  • I suffer from Migrains almost daily, get the Clusters once a year for a 3 month stretch. Every show I've seen I never got one. Take a Zomig before going to any show you feel may be too loud, and might trigger a Migrain.

pegmatiteman
    This is how I feel...
  • well i went to a show the day after my 21 birthday. i was painfully hungover and i lost one of my contacts the night before so i had to watch the show with one eye and a brutal headache.

still had fun though.
  • I get Migraines in varied frequency and intensity. Mine usually come on from a combination of stress and lack of sleep. I get everything from a killer headache to my vision being all screwed up to even having a numbness travel up my arm and into my mouth.... weird shit. Never had loud noises or concerts trigger them though. Been to lots and lots of concerts and never had a migraine at one.

Only thing that actually helps with the pain is mary jane... no prescription drugs have ever helped mine.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Keiran wrote:

I just recently stopped getting migraines after 10+ long years of getting them.
    Sometimes you have to say yes to prescription drugs - although I admire your not wanting to! Excedrin or prescription Imitrex helps mine.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Another thing I found is a good cure is regular exercise. I used to get pretty bad headaches at least once a week. I started going to the gym and now get them way less frequently and they are way easier to predict. Plus I find if I slack off and don't go to the gym for like a week or two, the frequency comes back again.
  • I've been a migraine sufferer for decades. My physician prescribes butalbital #3 for me. It works well and eases that awful pain. I don't stand a chance without medical intervention. My mom had them as well - she was miserable until she also got a doctor's prescription help.
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    Many times the anticipation/lack of sleep/stress of going somewhere (vacation, show, etc.) will give me a migrane. I have to take imitrex as soon as I feel it coming on (light sensitivity, etc). Mary Jane can help too - but if you don't want to medicate, I'd say the best advice is to make sure you get lots of rest, eat properly, and don't let yourself get stressed or anxious. Good luck :)
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to give me thoughtful answers and for sharing what does and doesn't work for them. God, what a nice change from all the stress and concerns over the past few days. A reminder of how good and caring the people around here really are.

I'm going to cut back on the sugar and keep up the exercise (ick) because I do know that these things will help. I'm also going to see my Dr. and get a prescription just in case I feel one coming on and I have tickets to one of the many concerts I'm sure Pearl Jam will be treating us to this summer! I hope I hope.

Funny, a couple of people mentioned mary jane as a helping them. I'm such a nerd - I was born in the 60's and I've even tried it. Maybe this is a good reason to ;)

Anyways, thanks again for all the help.
    Peace to all.
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • jbalicki10 wrote:
    I use to have big migranes... I was able to get off of them by cutting all sugar off. At first youll get a small headache after a couple of days of this, but you'll never get another one. Also drinking beer, especially Bud Light causes headaches for me. Drink mix drink if you need too...

Hope this helps

Yeah, I've heard of a similar case as well. I can't remember what my friend's mom said she had, sounds similar to diabetes, but it's different. Now she has pretty much eliminated at the very least, all refined sugars from her diet, and is SO much better off, and seldom gets migraines. Apparently this took years and years before this particular doctor was able to diagnose it.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Do any of you get extremely sick to your stomach and throw up when you have a migraine? Damn just reading these posts gives me that bad feeling in my stomach, bleck. Throwing up makes it feel better though, but if you're like me i'm assuming you're not going to want to induce vomiting, haha.

For me, being in a cool place with lots of water usually helps. And try not to drink too much caffeine. Also when you feel one coming on eat something with a good amount of salt in it, i know it sounds weird, but that salt really helps with a lot you lose in sweating if you sweat like i do when you get them.

I haven't had one at a concert, and every year of my life I get them less and less, thank goodness. Thank goodness. Having a full, not too full, but full stomach helps too. I've rarely gotten any on a full stomach. Good luck. :)
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • i get really bad migranes and unfortunately, they are often hard to avoid at concerts. Ive only seen PJ once and when i did, Sonic Youth opened. Their barage of distorted guitar sounds did little to help as far as migranes go, so i spent the majority of the opening outside of the main arena. It actualy worked pretty well - so i would maybe suggest doing the same should their be an opening act, unless its something you really enjoy. It seems to me that if you are realy into the concert you are at, many times the headache will stay away.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Yeah, I've gotten to the point of throwing up before because of one a couple of times, years ago anyway. Or at least, I had that symptom (not saying that throwing up means getting it to the worst degree, because based on what some have said of their pain from migraines, I musn't get them nearly as bad).

I've read that MSG can help to bring them on.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    If it gets too loud, bring a Creed CD and headphones--that'll cure you.

Listening to Creed could kill a person. So I wouldn't do that...
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Do any of you get extremely sick to your stomach and throw up when you have a migraine? Damn just reading these posts gives me that bad feeling in my stomach, bleck. Throwing up makes it feel better though, but if you're like me i'm assuming you're not going to want to induce vomiting, haha.

Yes, I have been very sick to my stomach w/ migranes. The nausea usually comes on after 12-24 hours into the headache - I guess my body just can't take it anymore. Throwing up only makes it worse for me. Again, mary jane is a HUGE help in that department (the ONLY thing that works for the nausea).

MSG will give me a headache every time. Most preservatives (nitrates, etc.) found in a lot of deli meat, bacon, etc too. The list of triggers that my doctor gave me is crazy...everything from legumes (beans, nuts, etc.) to citrus, alchohol (especially wine) to caffine, stress, sun, horomones, etc. The list was a two column, letter size page! You never know what your triggers may be until you cut them out of your diet for a while and keep a food/migraine diary.

Another thing I did for the last couple shows I went to is bring earplugs. I don't think we'll need it for EV, but some of the clubs just crank it too loud for my head!

Here's a great website you may want to look into:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/triggers.html

PM me if you want more details, I've been fighting with migraines for 10 years now and am finally winning! :) Good luck!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Do any of you get extremely sick to your stomach and throw up when you have a migraine?
    Unfortunately this was my norm with every major migraine. I can't tell you how many times I ended up in the emergency room needing intravenous fluids to replace my low electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc.). It was severe - I hated being that sick from a headache. When I was put on the butalbital #3 - I was better. Only once last year did I end up in the ER from excess vomiting.
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • PJKJPJKJ Posts: 5
    I've had migraines for over 20 years. I've lost count of the number of PJ shows I've attended, but I never get a migraine from a show (too many endorphins running through my body). Ear plugs should help you. I also try to drink a lot of water the day of the show and after the show (dehydration is one of my triggers). Excedrin migraine works just as well as the prescription meds for me. I think you should be fine, but it is always best to be prepared.
  • PJKJ wrote:
    Ear plugs should help you.
    I purchased something close to the kind of earplugs that the baggage-handlers use on the tarmac. They are not foam, not disposable and come in a nice little case. I didn't get a headache at the pre-Pearl Jam Ramones or Godsmack shows. Check out the "Noise Reduction Ratings" before you buy. This: 110 dB – average walkman set above the halfway mark, is an example.
    I hope this helps.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    If it were me... id probably just get some ear plugs (you will still be able to hear the music fine, just not loud enough to onset a headache hopefully) and take a few strong pain killers before i went. Preventive measures!
  • I could just reiterate alot of the good advice already written, but on the reassuring side I've had migraines that started one day 10 years ago, but have never had one at a PJ show and have been to dozens since then. <y head may be pounding afterwards, but I am way too elated to notice or care!

I spent the first 3 years just nauseous and throwing up, was out of work for 3 mos, then part-time for a long time. Went to every kind of doctor but none could help until the headaches started. Then they gave me a diagnosis of 'abdominal migraine' for the previous 3 years, it exists but is not that common, but geez, I went to a top GI guy!
    I had an unpleasant reaction to imitrex (tightness in the chest), can't funtion well on fiorinal (Butalbital), and do best with a drug called Epridrin (formerly Midrin) for both tension and migraines. I use the Fiorinal for the level 10 (i.e. bed-ridden) HA's.
    My neurologist put me on topomax when I was having the 72 hours migraines with puking and feeling like the top of my head would blow off - I'll tale the headache over that anyday - because I was having 2-3 of those a month. What a life saver, now I only have 2-3 a year, but I still have almost daily headaches and throw up or have the dry heaves so I take a lot of analgesics.

I am doing the reverse of what you did, I am weaning off the analgesics now and am about to enter a 12 week chronic pain/stress reduction program (relaxation response, meditation, breathing techniques, guided visualization, nutrition and exercise), I always thought it was too hokey, but I have finally hit my bottom.
    Stress is my main trigger, then strong emotions like anger and grief, I haven't found any food triggers - MSG gives me an MSG HA, not a migraine. Not getting enough sleep or oversleeping too. I get both pre and post event (good or bad i.e. vacation or big work thing) migraines too. And barometric pressure changes - which happens every few days in New England!

I have always brought a MIDRIN or two into the concerts with me to abort one (take it as soon as I get that feeling), but have never had to use them.

Well I think I get the prize for the biggest core dump...it's just been so bad lately, I'm jumping on someone else's post for my own good.
    Maybe it'll help someone out there, too. :-(

Anyway I hope you get to that show this summer!
    nikita
  • I suffer from migraine headaches and they sure are the most aweful thing and I can't imagine being at a concert with a migraine. It's hard to say for me what the triggers are, but I know in other people the triggers might be the sulfites in wine, certain chemicals in food such as MSG, and yes, things like heat, or stress. Are you able to recognize when it's a migraine and not just a bad headache? With the migraine the pain is usually on one side of the head, sensitivity to light and noise (not good at a concert), and even nausea.
    The prescription I take is Maxalt and it works really well, but with all migraine meds you have to take as soon as you know it's a migraine headache. Drinking plenty of water is good, but too much may cause you some puking feelings. Another great prescription medicine is Imitrex.
    "I am the first mammal to wear pants....yeah"
    6/95 -SF, CA.
    11/95 -SJ, CA.
    7/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    10/25/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    7/9/06 -LA, CA.
    7/15/06 -SF, CA.
    7/17/06 -SF, CA.
    10/22/06 -Mt. View, CA.
    12/9/06 -Honolulu, HI
    Eddie!-SC, CA. 4/5/08
    Eddie!-Berkeley. 4/7/08
    6/28/08- Mansfield, MA.
  • aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    Yeah, I've gotten to the point of throwing up before because of one a couple of times, years ago anyway. Or at least, I had that symptom (not saying that throwing up means getting it to the worst degree, because based on what some have said of their pain from migraines, I musn't get them nearly as bad).

I have found that MSG is one of the biggest triggers for Migraine, both my daughter and I avoid all foods that have MSG in it.. When u start reading packets for ingredients is amazing what MSG is in.
    There are other Trigger foods as well that we avoid.
    For me honey comb, sultanas, wine, dark chocolate, donuts, oranges and orange juice. Lamb apparently here in Australia it can be pumped full of hormones..
    Which as u would know hormones are also another trigger for migraines.

If I was attending a show I would definitely avoid all trigger foods and try not to think about it, cos the worry will bring one on. Make sure u are well rested with plenty of sleep b4 hand.

I know lighting at some shows can be a pain but I have never had any problem at any of the PJ shows Ive attended.

I hope u get to go to a show and its Migraine free...:)

Best of Luck Kieran..:)
  • StellaStella Posts: 283
    gobrowns19 wrote:

For me, being in a cool place with lots of water usually helps. And try not to drink too much caffeine. Also when you feel one coming on eat something with a good amount of salt in it, i know it sounds weird, but that salt really helps with a lot you lose in sweating if you sweat like i do when you get them.

I haven't had one at a concert, and every year of my life I get them less and less, thank goodness. Thank goodness. Having a full, not too full, but full stomach helps too. I've rarely gotten any on a full stomach. Good luck. :)

I always crave salt when i get migraines. But I don't sweat with mine. odd.

I felt one come on in the car on the way to a Chili peppers concert once. Extra Aspro's are the only thing that work for me, so I took two of them, stayed outside through the support act and then went in just before they came on. Managed to stage off the migraine until we got in the car to go home. Then it hit hard. :( but was bearable through the concert and was still loads of fun!!! (the concert, not the mirgraine).
    I have no signature
  • *dawn* wrote:
    I have to take imitrex as soon as I feel it coming on (light sensitivity, etc). Mary Jane can help too

amen. and amen.
    yankees suck