Options

mig, you might like this one.

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
a warmoth nashville tele i put together this summer.
100_5727.JPG

currently has my old fender SCNs in it but i'm waiting on a quarter pounder for the bridge and a hot strat and hot tele for the middle and neck respectively. i'm big on duncans again lately.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Exhausted is back!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    with twice the guitars and half the skills!!!!! hola.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I had one VERY similar at one point...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... ville1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... ville2.jpg

Mine had the S-90 in the bridge (still love that pickup, a great Tele bridge pup), with Fralin Hot Strat in neck and middle, although I would've been better off with Fralin Blues instead.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably do the S-90 in the bridge, Fralin Blues in the middle, and a Duncan mini-HB in the neck.

Good luck with the quarter-pounder, I didn't have much luck with that one. I found it a bit muddy for my tastes.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i didn't mind them in the jaguar i bought (but not what i wanted for a jag) so i'm hoping it's ok. i want it for higher gain sounds so i'm hoping it matches up ok. the hots i should like as i've got a hot for jazzmaster in the bridge of that guitar with good results.

i really like the SCNs but the bridge pickup has gone totally microphonic from being messed with so much and i want to try something different.
    Post edited by exhausted on
  • Options
    My current Strat has SCN's in the neck and middle, with a Hot Rails in the bridge. I love those pickups, not as authentic as the Fralin Blues, but NO NOISE!

I talked a buddy into the SD Hot pups for his jazzmaster (he did both), and that was a huge change for the better. Those pups are much the same tone, just more output. Totally improved the tone we got on subsequent recording sessions (signal to noise ratio especially).
  • Options
    well, i got the new pickups...

the quarter pounder in the bridge is good. i can see how it would be considered muddy but for high gain it works well.

the hot for strat and hot for tele in the middle and neck were terrible. muddy and weak and the strat pickup has this terrible honk to it with any gain at all. and neither had any presence for clean sounds. really disappointing.

so the SCNs went back in to those positions tonight and we'll see how the quarter pounder fairs. i don't do the typical bright twangy tele bridge thing so it should be ok.
  • Options
    Glad the QP worked out... I've never been a traditional Tele guy (even though I love the silhouette). Too bad on the other two pups... you could definitely try some Fralins, or maybe Lollar (I'd probably take a Lollar Tele neck pup but Fralin's Strat middle pup). Then you'd have one axe with Leo, Seymour, Lindy, and Jason!
  • Options
    i guess the duncan hot worked well in the jazzmaster because it is such a bright guitar. i used to have to keep my tone knob on 4 with the AVRI pickups but can be around 8 with the duncan so it was a problem solved.

just didn't work for the tele. oh well.

i do really like the SCNs so i'm done for a while. i have an AVRI 52 tele that is stock and does the regular tele thing. i purpose built this one as a nashville and wanted higher output overall. the old tele the SCNs were in at first is in sick bay but i guess i've been using them for 3-4 years now.
  • Options
    I really am happy with the overall tone of SCN pups. And if you wire it for S-1 switching, you'll have a very versatile guitar (with some beefed up output as well).

I haven't ever tried Seymour's hot pups for anything besides Jazzmaster. I'd probably love to try them in a Jaguar, always kinda gassed for a Jag with hot pups (minus the extraneous switches, knobs, sliders, etc). Too bad they didn't fit your expectations... have you thought about Lace Sensors?
  • Options
    http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0148300591

that would probably be to your liking after a pickup change. though you lose the vibrato system which is the best there is for musicality in my opinion (with a good bigsby a close second).
  • Options
    Yeah, I've seen the Blacktop Fenders already. I'd be more interested in the single-coil route, I always thought it would sound awesome with a couple of S-90's, or maybe just the SD Hot for Jag. That layout is pretty good for me, though... Fender-ized TOM bridge, stop tailpiece, and a 3-way switch. Plus the Fender skirted amp knobs are a big bonus, I love that look. But the Jag really only looks right to me in a classic sunburst.

I really shouldn't be piecing a Jag together in my head right now... gotta start saving for an ES-339 and a 314CE. I am thinking of selling my Shannon pedals and getting my Rat sent off to Keeley before he quits working on them altogether. But no new guitars for a while, gotta save up for those expensive buggers I want.
  • Options
    :shock: A new line of Fender guitars that completely went by me... I must be getting old.
    Well, that HS Jazzmaster looks interesting...
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    :shock: A new line of Fender guitars that completely went by me... I must be getting old.
    Well, that HS Jazzmaster looks interesting...
    Yeah very tempting. I've finally decided my Epi Sheraton isn't doing it for me, might replace it with one of those babies, or maybe a Tele Deluxe (those things are so ugly they're awesome).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Yeah very tempting. I've finally decided my Epi Sheraton isn't doing it for me, might replace it with one of those babies, or maybe a Tele Deluxe (those things are so ugly they're awesome).

I'm more into the '72 custom. In my opinion they look a lot cooler and have the great bonus of retaining the bridge sc. :D But if I had the money and nothing better to spend it on, I'd certainly have a close look at the Black Dove Deluxe. Those P-90s are damn tempting... Well, I'd probably still have to get a black '72 custom, put a white pearl pickguard on there and have a really nice guitar. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big fan of Bigsbys too. Man, that would look great... Or even nerd it out and replace the HB with a P-90, which probably wouldn't be much of a problem since i'd be swapping out that pickguard anyway.
  • Options

I'm more into the '72 custom. In my opinion they look a lot cooler and have the great bonus of retaining the bridge sc. :D But if I had the money and nothing better to spend it on, I'd certainly have a close look at the Black Dove Deluxe. Those P-90s are damn tempting... Well, I'd probably still have to get a black '72 custom, put a white pearl pickguard on there and have a really nice guitar. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big fan of Bigsbys too. Man, that would look great... Or even nerd it out and replace the HB with a P-90, which probably wouldn't be much of a problem since i'd be swapping out that pickguard anyway.

Ha!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... eClose.jpg
  • Options

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=514044

Now where's that $4500 I had laying around.
  • Options

Cool one! is that yours? Is that the fender or the Squier model?

Yeah. It would be great to have that kind of money. But then again, if I had, I'd so many guitars it wouldn't even be funny anymore... :D There are so many "must haves" on my list...
  • Options

Yeah. It would be great to have that kind of money. But then again, if I had, I'd so many guitars it wouldn't even be funny anymore... :D There are so many "must haves" on my list...
    This is true.
  • Options

What a waste... "duplicates every cosmetic nuance of the original." Too bad the sound is nothing like the original. Fender has been shilling those "reissues" with run-of-the-mill alnico humbuckers in an oversized cover for decades, refusing all the while to admit that the original pickups are dramatically different, provide a totally different tone. I'm still waiting for Lollar to put out his recreation, see if it stacks up against the vintage pieces out there. If it comes out favorably, I'll be in line with a check in hand.

It's definitely mine, built several years ago. Started as a '72 Deluxe RI, added the pickguard and some Fralin P-90's. It is a tone monster, strung up with 11's and it sounds awesome.

Fender went behind my back several years later, and copied my guitar (but without Lindy's awesome pickups, using their Black Doves instead): http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=501919 So, you can go buy one now directly from Fender. But I'd plan on some extra cash for a pup upgrade.
  • Options

What a waste... "duplicates every cosmetic nuance of the original." Too bad the sound is nothing like the original. Fender has been shilling those "reissues" with run-of-the-mill alnico humbuckers in an oversized cover for decades, refusing all the while to admit that the original pickups are dramatically different, provide a totally different tone. I'm still waiting for Lollar to put out his recreation, see if it stacks up against the vintage pieces out there. If it comes out favorably, I'll be in line with a check in hand.

It's definitely mine, built several years ago. Started as a '72 Deluxe RI, added the pickguard and some Fralin P-90's. It is a tone monster, strung up with 11's and it sounds awesome.

Fender went behind my back several years later, and copied my guitar (but without Lindy's awesome pickups, using their Black Doves instead): http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=501919 So, you can go buy one now directly from Fender. But I'd plan on some extra cash for a pup upgrade.
    Yeah, I would never buy it, but it just looks so damn cool.
    Thinking a Tele Deluxe in the near future.
  • Options

Well, if wanted to spend that much money on a Deluxe, I'd get a vintage model anyway. I mean, I really don't get why I'd want to buy a reissue or even a relic'd one if I can get the real deal for about the same price. I understand why they're putting out reissues of guitars that no mortal can afford anymore, but these 70s models and guitars like Jags and Jazzmasters are still pretty affordable for the most part. But that's just me. Well, maybe the overall quality of the custom shop reissues is a little higher and there's less of a chance of ending up with a dud.. I don't know.

But your Deluxe looks great!
  • Options
    I do love the way the Tele Deluxes look, for sure. I kinda wish there was an option for an ebony or rosewood fretboard (I prefer the tone and feel of un-laquered fretboards) but I don't mind the look of the maple. I would love to buy a reissue in either sunburst or the walnut finish, and try the Lollar wide-range clones if those pups turn out okay. I wish I could go back to the early- to mid-90's when you could get an original Deluxe, Custom, or Thinline for $500, before they became so popular again. Those original wide-range humbuckers are just so unique sounding.
  • Options
    thinking of converting this thing to 12-string due to my frustration with my rickenbacker.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-d ... yours.html

this guy with the red one has found the only bridge solution that would really work for me, being left-handed and very limited in the hardware available to me.

warmoth makes the field hockey stick style fender electric XII headstock now. very tempting.
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    thinking of converting this thing to 12-string due to my frustration with my rickenbacker.

this guy with the red one has found the only bridge solution that would really work for me, being left-handed and very limited in the hardware available to me.

warmoth makes the field hockey stick style fender electric XII headstock now. very tempting.

What's wrong with your rick? Too narrow fretboard?
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:

What's wrong with your rick? Too narrow fretboard?

yes. the playability is a problem. it's very unforgiving in the lower frets. but oh the sound....
  • Options
    That's the problem most people seem to have with them. I'm `lucky´though, I have really small hands. Plus, I've only played 6-strings.
    Have you tried the Petty model? They're supposed to be a lot more comforable in that department.
  • Options
    is his based on the 660/12? one of those solidbodies (620 or 660 i can't remember) has the wider neck. it's moot now though. rickenbacker stopped all left handed production.

if i ever have the chance though, I would trade my 330/12 up for a 660/12.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a 660/12. But I just realizes that out of the 1000 instrument run, only 7(!) were made left handed. So I guess they're as close to impossible to come by as it gets.
    Well, they're known for their... hm... let's say peculiar business decisions regarding availability and distribution. Especially if you live in Europe.