Roland Cube amps

mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
So having been a drummer for 15+ years and trying my hand at lead vocals, I've settled into learning guitar over the past few months. Found a late 60s Global Guitar that's made to be an SG copy in my GF's mothers basement and fixed it up a bit. The last thing I've got to do is take out the pair of single coils that are made to look like humbuckers and get a real setup of HBers. That being said, I am curently without amplilfication. I was thinking about throwing down on the Roland 20 watt Cube. I'd only be playing at my apartment, which I have downstairs neighbors at. I obviously don't want anyhting too loud, and the reviews I've read on this amp seem like a good fit for me. Anybody have any experience with them?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• General feedback is that the Roland Cubes are great practice amps, decent at low volumes. I've thought several times about buying one for my apartment.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    awesome. Thanks, man. Do you have anything you could tell me about a Liine 6 Spider III? Saw a used one at Guitar center last night for $50.
  • The Line 6 Spider amps are very similar to the Roland Cube amps... they have a lot of sounds and effects in one box. This means they are great for practicing at home, but you won't see anyone playing them on stage. I have a little more experience playing through Line 6 gear, and I've generally been happy with what you can get out of a Line 6 considering the money spent. But Roland is a pretty solid brand-name (they're also the company behind Boss effects pedals).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mcthud wrote:
    awesome. Thanks, man. Do you have anything you could tell me about a Liine 6 Spider III? Saw a used one at Guitar center last night for $50.
    I have a line 6 spider III and i LOVE IT!!
    Cant go wrong with for the money!!
    I highly recommend it!!
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Holy crap, people. I just decided on and picked up the practice amp of my dreams. The new Fender Mustang line is unbelievable. I got the Mustang I 20W amp.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... es=Mustang

$100 and comes with LOADS of incredible features out of the box. This will keep me entertained for years. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a low wattage practice amp. 8-)
  • mcthud wrote:
    Holy crap, people. I just decided on and picked up the practice amp of my dreams. The new Fender Mustang line is unbelievable. I got the Mustang I 20W amp.

$100 and comes with LOADS of incredible features out of the box. This will keep me entertained for years. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a low wattage practice amp. 8-)
    sounds like a good buy. it has a tuner on there so that is worth $100 bucks alone....i have a fender fm 25 dsp 25 watter with on board effects i use for recording...no tuner so that is a pain in the butt, but i only really use it to put a little reverb on my electirc acoustic or on my strat. just enough to cover my horrible singing lol...have fun with your new purchase!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    mcthud wrote:

I'm leaning towards the Mustang 2, something for around the house.
  • hmm.
    Mustang 2 looks cool.
    I HAVE a Roland Cube.
    Someone here (probably MiG, lol) told me about them when i was looking for a cheap, smaller, solid state amp (was sick of tubes blowing at the time. well, still am) ...

I get that you probably already purchased an amp, and you likely made the right choice.

Re: The Cube --
    Guitar Tuner: Hey. It Tunes. Well. 10
    Clean Channel: Won't be winning any awards. But it isn't god awful. 7
    Distorted Channel (5 or 6 models from overdrive, distortion, tube, metal, metal stack etc)
    All of them are actually pretty fucking good. The metal stack and tube overdrive are pretty much the only two i use, because they sound great. 8

On board effects: Just fucking rip the knobs off of these. They SUCK.
    Oh. One exception: the tremelo is pretty good, actually. But phase, chorus, and flange all suck dick.
    Delay and Reverb are actually useable, though the delay doesn't have enough programmability to be very helpful outside of wanking around.

Just sayin'.
    Now i wanna go try this Mustang I (v2) [man that's confusing]
    PS - i'm really liking these new PC FRIENDLY AMPS. [this mustang has "Fender Fuse technology"
    You plug them in, they hook up to an application, and have twice or three times as much functionality.
    A simple delay knob turns in to delay with like 6 to 8 settings to adjust, etc. WAY COOL.

Like this Yamaha THR-5 i've been kinda secretly admiring for a while now.

Hmmm.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    hmm.
    Mustang 2 looks cool.
    I HAVE a Roland Cube.
    Someone here (probably MiG, lol) told me about them when i was looking for a cheap, smaller, solid state amp (was sick of tubes blowing at the time. well, still am) ...

I get that you probably already purchased an amp, and you likely made the right choice.

Re: The Cube --
    Guitar Tuner: Hey. It Tunes. Well. 10
    Clean Channel: Won't be winning any awards. But it isn't god awful. 7
    Distorted Channel (5 or 6 models from overdrive, distortion, tube, metal, metal stack etc)
    All of them are actually pretty fucking good. The metal stack and tube overdrive are pretty much the only two i use, because they sound great. 8

On board effects: Just fucking rip the knobs off of these. They SUCK.
    Oh. One exception: the tremelo is pretty good, actually. But phase, chorus, and flange all suck dick.
    Delay and Reverb are actually useable, though the delay doesn't have enough programmability to be very helpful outside of wanking around.

Just sayin'.
    Now i wanna go try this Mustang I (v2) [man that's confusing]
    PS - i'm really liking these new PC FRIENDLY AMPS. [this mustang has "Fender Fuse technology"
    You plug them in, they hook up to an application, and have twice or three times as much functionality.
    A simple delay knob turns in to delay with like 6 to 8 settings to adjust, etc. WAY COOL.

Like this Yamaha THR-5 i've been kinda secretly admiring for a while now.

Hmmm.

Been using the Mustang for a bit over a week, lovin it so far! Yet to plug it into the pc and use the Fuse Software, maybe later this week I'll get around to it.

As it is, I think it's a solid amp.

Roland Cube seems nice, I did check a review of it before I picked up the Mustang.

Picked up this guitar at the same time, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1QmRdVoM4M
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    My uncle uses a Roland Cube and I've played through it a few times. Pretty small amp with a pretty big voice and options! My current practice amp is the Fender 25R. Boy does this amp cook!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy