Community

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,024
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I swore there was a thread for this show at some point but I did a search and went over 10 pages deep and couldn't find anything so I thought I would start a new one after last night's premiere.

I thought last night's episode was absolutely fantastic. From Betty White to "Old white man says" to Chang's moment at the end, it was just top-notch.

Did anyone else find it hilarious (or get why) that they had Donald Glover wearing Spiderman clothes when he woke up at the beginning? Simply brilliant.

I think that this and Modern Family have overtaken The Office for my favorite network comedy (It's Always Sunny and The League are on a different level due to being on cable so I don't count them), even though The Office was pretty good last night too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I agree. Both Modern Family and Community(Alison Brie is amazing)are great. I also love Parks & Rec. I think that will be back mid season. Ron Swanson is the man!
  • Yeah Parks and Rec got so much better as it went on. Can't wait for that to come back after Outsoured bombs.
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    spencer958 wrote:
    I agree. Both Modern Family and Community(Alison Brie is amazing)are great. I also love Parks & Rec. I think that will be back mid season. Ron Swanson is the man!
    you mean Ron f-ing Swanson
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I missed this but will look for it going forward.

"Outsourced" was a disappointment.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I swore there was a thread for this show at some point but I did a search and went over 10 pages deep and couldn't find anything so I thought I would start a new one after last night's premiere.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110908&hilit=community ;):mrgreen:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/180385/commun ... pology-rap
    :lol::lol:
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    "Do you have room in this pocket for a little spare Chang?"
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    I think Community is one of the most unfunny shows I have ever seen. I have tried to get into it, just can't.

Parks and Rec is the shit though.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I think Community is one of the most unfunny shows I have ever seen. I have tried to get into it, just can't.

i can't get into either... not that i would want to... my thurs night is busy enough with the office, 30 rock, always sunny, the league, daily show, and colbert... goodbye productivity!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i can't get into either... not that i would want to... my thurs night is busy enough with the office, 30 rock, always sunny, the league, daily show, and colbert... goodbye productivity!

You need to be introduced to DVR my friend. I rarely watch shows when they are on anymore.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    craigb wrote:
    "Do you have room in this pocket for a little spare Chang?"
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

awesome. the writing on this show and the pop culture references are spot on.

senior chang getting more screen time is gonna make it even better. i can see why people dont like it though. it has a bit of an acquired taste. i think it's hillarious though.

did anyone bother to watch outsourced? quite possibly the worst 30 minutes of tv i've ever seen. only reason why i kept watching was to see how worse it could get. not only is it awful. but its blatently racist. i have no idea how it got on tv. all it does is play up on stupid played out sterotypes for a half hour. :roll:

the office was funny. 30 rock--okay. i like the apprentice too. so its a quality night of tv for me last night.

parks and rec is getting a raw deal. that show is too good to only get a half a season.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You need to be introduced to DVR my friend. I rarely watch shows when they are on anymore.
    oh i DVR when i really need to... and its nice fast forwarding through the commercials... but i like the ritual of watching live too :)

and really its just thursday and sunday that requires more than 2 hours of tv time

did anyone bother to watch outsourced? quite possibly the worst 30 minutes of tv i've ever seen. only reason why i kept watching was to see how worse it could get. not only is it awful. but its blatently racist. i have no idea how it got on tv

i can top that from last night...shit my dad says...there was no reason to keep watching after the first 5 minutes unless you're a masochist
    norm wrote:
    did anyone bother to watch outsourced? quite possibly the worst 30 minutes of tv i've ever seen. only reason why i kept watching was to see how worse it could get. not only is it awful. but its blatently racist. i have no idea how it got on tv

i can top that from last night...shit my dad says...there was no reason to keep watching after the first 5 minutes unless you're a masochist

seems like both are the same joke over and over...
    www.myspace.com
    'Community,' The Most Hilariously Ambitious Sitcom on TV
    By Rob Sheffield
    January 20, 2011 12:00 AM EDT

What could be more quintessentially American than Community? Its creative explosion this season, all rapid-fire puns and meta-meta mind games, can't hide the fact that it belongs in a long and honorable TV tradition: the Buncha Losers comedy, the most democratic and inclusive kind of sitcom there is. These are the comedies that don't try to bludgeon you with plots or character development. They just show you a Buncha Losers hanging out, and invite you to join.

It goes without saying that Buncha Losers comedies speak to tough times. The massive unemployment of the Reagan years gave us Taxi, Cheers and the genre-defining Night Court, a show you could never admit to watching without making people feel sorry for you.

If Night Court was the subterranean bad conscience of the Eighties recession, Community is the voice of our own brokedown moment. NBC has loaded its killer Thursday-night lineup with Buncha Losers comedies. The Office and 30 Rock are kicking ass, and Parks & Recreation is stronger than ever. But what sets these shows apart from Community is that they're set in the workplace, which means their lovable misfits have common goals and problems. Not so on Community. These nitwits have nothing in common. Nobody achieves anything. Nobody learns anything either, even though it's about college. Joel McHale, as the smarmy lawyer Jeff Winger, speaks for the group when he refuses to attend classes: "Jeff Winger never learns!"

Exactly. That's why this is the first show ever to get college right. Everything looks unbelievably cheap and crummy. Has fluorescent light on TV ever looked so grim? There is no attempt at campus humor, no keggers or fraternity houses. Instead, the Greendale gang spends all its waking hours doing what most college students have always done with their time: aimlessly hanging out, waiting for the fun to start. Campus loafing has never been so accurately (or lovingly) depicted, as our heroes build their own imaginary world around dreadful puns and arcane in-jokes. My favorite moment is when obsessive-compulsive film student Abed says, "Black jeans? Nice try, Michael Penn!" You can't even explain why that's so funny without revealing what a loser you are.

The first season of Community stumbled a bit because the plotlines too often veered into realism, but that is not a problem anymore. Not when prize episodes concern a campuswide blanket fort, or a secret garden with a magic trampoline. Community takes off for entire episodes of goofy postmodern fantasy without a snag, from Abed's animated Christmas special to Jeff and Annie's investigation into the elaborate conspiracy behind the mysterious Professor Professorson. The more surreal it gets, the more this astounding cast shines — from Alison Brie (whom we all thought we knew as Trudy Campbell from Mad Men) to Chevy Chase (who knew he could adapt so deftly to a utility-man role?). And Joel McHale is a smirk virtuoso — he seems to have three times the normal human allotment of facial muscles, and he can smirk with every one of them.

There's an entire episode, "Cooperative Calligraphy," devoted to the seven characters looking for control-freak Annie's lost pen. All the action takes place in the study room, where nobody is allowed to leave until Annie finds her pen — it's like a parody of the already-classic Mad Men episode "The Suitcase," where Don and Peggy interact in close quarters. In the old days, this would have been a they-all-get-stuck-in-an-elevator episode. But this one works because it's all in their heads — everyone shares Annie's insanity for a day. Nobody walks out, and nobody finds the pen. On some level, every episode works this way — these characters share a consensual hallucination where they all inhabit one another's fantasy lives.

Buncha Losers comedy is one of those homegrown American art forms, up there with infomercials and Elvis-shaped soap carvings. No other civilization could have invented it. The French took a stab with Sartre's No Exit, but then they had to ruin it with a lesson at the end. And if there's any iron law to this, it's that nobody ever learns. If they were capable, the first thing they would've figured out is how not to hang out with these losers. Tough times inspire deeply American TV. This country has a lot in common with Jeff Winger: We never learn, and we're proud of it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/new ... e-20110120
    There is nothing funny about this show, nothing.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    There is nothing funny about this show, nothing.
    agreed

i tried giving parks and recreation a chance too since they cleverly stuck it between the 2 good shows of NBC thursday and that sucked too

Nah dude, I have to disagree on parks and Rec. I think its great. Ron Swanson is awesome as is the aziz ansari character.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I love this show to pieces.
  • I am 100% in love with this show! I consistently laugh my ass off and care about the characters as well, not too many comedies do that for me. I really hope more people give it a chance, I always thought a community college would be a good setting for an out-there comedy. not to mention joel mchale is HOTTT...
    norm wrote:
    'Community,' The Most Hilariously Ambitious Sitcom on TV
    By Rob Sheffield
    January 20, 2011 12:00 AM EDT

What could be more quintessentially American than Community? Its creative explosion this season, all rapid-fire puns and meta-meta mind games, can't hide the fact that it belongs in a long and honorable TV tradition: the Buncha Losers comedy, the most democratic and inclusive kind of sitcom there is. These are the comedies that don't try to bludgeon you with plots or character development. They just show you a Buncha Losers hanging out, and invite you to join.

It goes without saying that Buncha Losers comedies speak to tough times. The massive unemployment of the Reagan years gave us Taxi, Cheers and the genre-defining Night Court, a show you could never admit to watching without making people feel sorry for you.

If Night Court was the subterranean bad conscience of the Eighties recession, Community is the voice of our own brokedown moment. NBC has loaded its killer Thursday-night lineup with Buncha Losers comedies. The Office and 30 Rock are kicking ass, and Parks & Recreation is stronger than ever. But what sets these shows apart from Community is that they're set in the workplace, which means their lovable misfits have common goals and problems. Not so on Community. These nitwits have nothing in common. Nobody achieves anything. Nobody learns anything either, even though it's about college. Joel McHale, as the smarmy lawyer Jeff Winger, speaks for the group when he refuses to attend classes: "Jeff Winger never learns!"

Exactly. That's why this is the first show ever to get college right. Everything looks unbelievably cheap and crummy. Has fluorescent light on TV ever looked so grim? There is no attempt at campus humor, no keggers or fraternity houses. Instead, the Greendale gang spends all its waking hours doing what most college students have always done with their time: aimlessly hanging out, waiting for the fun to start. Campus loafing has never been so accurately (or lovingly) depicted, as our heroes build their own imaginary world around dreadful puns and arcane in-jokes. My favorite moment is when obsessive-compulsive film student Abed says, "Black jeans? Nice try, Michael Penn!" You can't even explain why that's so funny without revealing what a loser you are.

The first season of Community stumbled a bit because the plotlines too often veered into realism, but that is not a problem anymore. Not when prize episodes concern a campuswide blanket fort, or a secret garden with a magic trampoline. Community takes off for entire episodes of goofy postmodern fantasy without a snag, from Abed's animated Christmas special to Jeff and Annie's investigation into the elaborate conspiracy behind the mysterious Professor Professorson. The more surreal it gets, the more this astounding cast shines — from Alison Brie (whom we all thought we knew as Trudy Campbell from Mad Men) to Chevy Chase (who knew he could adapt so deftly to a utility-man role?). And Joel McHale is a smirk virtuoso — he seems to have three times the normal human allotment of facial muscles, and he can smirk with every one of them.

There's an entire episode, "Cooperative Calligraphy," devoted to the seven characters looking for control-freak Annie's lost pen. All the action takes place in the study room, where nobody is allowed to leave until Annie finds her pen — it's like a parody of the already-classic Mad Men episode "The Suitcase," where Don and Peggy interact in close quarters. In the old days, this would have been a they-all-get-stuck-in-an-elevator episode. But this one works because it's all in their heads — everyone shares Annie's insanity for a day. Nobody walks out, and nobody finds the pen. On some level, every episode works this way — these characters share a consensual hallucination where they all inhabit one another's fantasy lives.

Buncha Losers comedy is one of those homegrown American art forms, up there with infomercials and Elvis-shaped soap carvings. No other civilization could have invented it. The French took a stab with Sartre's No Exit, but then they had to ruin it with a lesson at the end. And if there's any iron law to this, it's that nobody ever learns. If they were capable, the first thing they would've figured out is how not to hang out with these losers. Tough times inspire deeply American TV. This country has a lot in common with Jeff Winger: We never learn, and we're proud of it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/new ... e-20110120

nice. one of the smartest comedies on tv.....the missing pen episode was brilliant
    www.myspace.com
  • New season starts tonight!
    New season starts tonight!

WOO HOO!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • norm wrote:
    New season starts tonight!

WOO HOO!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Hellsssss yeah! Big Bang Theory is having their season premiere too, my DVR is all set and ready to go :D
    it's coming back!
    "I want to expel any notion that it is just disappearing off the schedule," said NBC's Bob Greenblatt.

NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt used his time before members of the TV press Friday to make one thing clear: Community will be back.

The series, currently absent from NBC's mid-season schedule, "has not been cancaled," he told a roomful of concerned critics at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

“When I announced our midseason changes last fall and took Community off the schedule, I failed to explicity say that it would be back," he said, adding: "I want to expel any notion that it is just disappearing off the schedule."

STORY: 'Prime Suspect' Future Uncertain, 'Community' Will Be Back on NBC

Greenblatt acknowledged how competitive the show's former Thursday 8 PM timeslot has become, and suggested the ensemble's future scheduling would come down to what happens with the network's six mid-season comedies, including newcomer Are You There, Chelsea? and the return of 30 Rock.

PHOTOS: Midseason TV Preview

On stage following the panel, Greenblatt shot down any lingering hope of the low-rated series migrarting to one of NBC's sister cable networks as Law & Order: Criminal Intent once did. "The other channels don't do this kind of thing," he said, adding that the hefty price tag for the single camera comedy would be prohibitive as well.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... ack-279184
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    It better be coming back. It's being replaced with garbage (I don't mean 30 Rock, I mean the other crap NBC is adding to its mid-season lineup). "Whitney" is horrendous. Chelsea Handler has never made me laugh even a little. Her "I'm a drunk" gimmick got old faster than Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck" jokes.

I wish CBS would move "Big Bang Theory" back to Mondays because it's stealing ratings from some of my favorite NBC shows--"Community" and now "30 Rock" is being moved to that slot and I like all 3 of those shows. If they want "30 Rock" at 8:00, they should put "Community" at 8:30, "The Office" at 9:00 and "Parks and Recreation" at 9:30. The other comedies they've tried on Thursdays stink (including "Up All Night" which they're moving into the old "30 Rock" slot at 9:30). Put the bad comedies on Monday or Wednesday and let Thursday have shows that are actually funny.
    norm wrote:
    it's coming back!
    "I want to expel any notion that it is just disappearing off the schedule," said NBC's Bob Greenblatt.

NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt used his time before members of the TV press Friday to make one thing clear: Community will be back.

The series, currently absent from NBC's mid-season schedule, "has not been cancaled," he told a roomful of concerned critics at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

“When I announced our midseason changes last fall and took Community off the schedule, I failed to explicity say that it would be back," he said, adding: "I want to expel any notion that it is just disappearing off the schedule."

STORY: 'Prime Suspect' Future Uncertain, 'Community' Will Be Back on NBC

Greenblatt acknowledged how competitive the show's former Thursday 8 PM timeslot has become, and suggested the ensemble's future scheduling would come down to what happens with the network's six mid-season comedies, including newcomer Are You There, Chelsea? and the return of 30 Rock.

PHOTOS: Midseason TV Preview

On stage following the panel, Greenblatt shot down any lingering hope of the low-rated series migrarting to one of NBC's sister cable networks as Law & Order: Criminal Intent once did. "The other channels don't do this kind of thing," he said, adding that the hefty price tag for the single camera comedy would be prohibitive as well.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... ack-279184
    yes! :mrgreen:
    The network has slated the return of Community in familiar territory, taking over from 30 Rock on Thursday, March 15 at 8 p.m. Community's return pushes 30 Rock to the 8:30 p.m.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ity-293198
    parks and rec is one of the funniest shows on tv and they are putting it on hiatus in favor of a dumb ass betty white show? :x

nbc fucking sucks. community is great. but it's return shouldn't push parks and rec out. this blows.
    www.myspace.com
    parks and rec is one of the funniest shows on tv and they are putting it on hiatus in favor of a dumb ass betty white show? :x

nbc fucking sucks. community is great. but it's return shouldn't push parks and rec out. this blows.

wowowowowowoowow. What? Really?
    can't get into parks and rec...not a fan of those doc-type shows but what i have seen it shouldn't be put on hiatus especially since whitney is still on the air
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

wowowowowowoowow. What? Really?

bunch of dopes running that network

norm's article said it was going on hiatus until the end of april when that Up All Night show is done. when a show goes on hiatus, it usually means that's the first step towards extinction...i'm assuming
    www.myspace.com