BUGS!

2»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tybird wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    preyingmantis3_edited-1.jpg
    Have also been known to catch and consume hummingbirds as well....seriously.

how do they even catch them?

bugs are ugly beautiful.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    tybird wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    preyingmantis3_edited-1.jpg :wave: Mantis religiosa

The praying mantis is named for its prominent front legs, which are bent and held together at an angle that suggests the position of prayer. The larger group of these insects is more properly called the praying mantids. Mantis refers to the genus mantis, to which only some praying mantids belong.

By any name, these fascinating insects are formidable predators. They have triangular heads poised on a long "neck," or elongated thorax. Mantids can turn their heads 180 degrees to scan their surroundings with two large compound eyes and three other simple eyes located between them.

Typically green or brown and well camouflaged on the plants among which they live, mantis lie in ambush or patiently stalk their quarry. They use their front legs to snare their prey with reflexes so quick that they are difficult to see with the naked eye. Their legs are further equipped with spikes for snaring prey and pinning it in place.

Moths, crickets, grasshoppers, flies, and other insects are usually the unfortunate recipients of unwanted mantid attention. However, the insects will also eat others of their own kind. The most famous example of this is the notorious mating behavior of the adult female, who sometimes eats her mate just after—or even during—mating. Yet this behavior seems not to deter males from reproduction.

Females regularly lay hundreds of eggs in a small case, and nymphs hatch looking much like tiny versions of their parents.

Average life span in the wild:
    12 months
    Size:
    0.5 to 6 in (1.2 to 15 cm) long

GOT A BUG TO ADD?! :D
    yeah i read that the other day.
    praying mantis can totally screw over a hummingbird.
    that pretty wild stuff.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pandora wrote:
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i like jumping spiders..........i know ,i know.....do not get technical.
    ctanimalsspiders.jpg
    found a kind of cute one :D I think he's smiling

awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

think i saw him drinking in the cantina at mos eisley. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora & others who care,
    wanna hear about when some monarchs migrated through iowa flying, sailing along straight through our place?

here goes...
    i hope i do not boar you to death...

it was an incredible afternoon. iowa sunshine and harvesting soon. then... in the blink of an eye, monarch butterflies forever.... yes,,, i said almost forever... 30-50 feet thick, up and down, vertical mountainous flight of color, black/orange & yellow...black, orange & yellow about 20 feet off ground, up... many hundreds of feet wide, perhaps 100 yards,, and several miles long... about 1 or 2 hours worth of monarch speedway boogie through our iowa country home.

i was in the frontyard... like a squirrel all over it, i climbed up into our old tree house where were played and slept when we were kids, i then escaped from tree house station, got on the garage and house roof...

chadiest among monarch butterflies by the 400,000,000,000,000 wing and throbbing groins of travel and caterpillar...
    3 monarchs shit in my hair :D

that is all...
    carry on
    Wonderfully descriptive, coolly written, lucky to be there, once in a lifetime experience! Thanks Chad :D
    g under p wrote:
    My most favorite bug other than that Praying Mantis is the 17 year Cicada. They come out every 17 years, the last time 1n 2004 and before that 1987 and when they do come to life they came make the most hellish mating call ever. It sounds like a 24-7 siren!

http://www.seventeenyearcicada.com/imag ... 50x287.jpg

More on this very unique bug... http://www.seventeenyearcicada.com/

Cicadas facts

Cicadas are members of the Hemiptera, then the Homoptera, the Homoptera is often considered an order in its own rite these days but in some books you will find it designated as a suborder of the Hemiptera. They are then members of the superfamily Cicadoidea, and the Family Cicadidae. There are about 1600 species of Cicada in the world, some of the largest are in the genera Pomponia and Tacua.

Cicadas are mainly warm-temperate to tropical in habitat. There are around 200 species in Australia compared with about 100 species in the Palaearctic and only 1 species in the UK. The British species is Melampsalta montana (was Cicadetta) which is widespread outside of the UK.

Generally speaking cicadas have life cycles that last from one to several years, most of this time is spent as a nymph under the ground feeding on the xylem fluids of plants by piercing their roots and sucking out the fluids. Some species take a very long time to develop and the periodical cicadas of the genus Magicicada of North America are well known because some of them have a 17 cicades year life cycle. Cicades can be found in Tennessee, Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois and other parts of the US like some parts of the Mississippi.

There are 3 species of periodical cicada, each of which has two forms, a 17 year form and a 13 year form; they are Magicicada septendecim, Magicicada septendecula and Magicicada cassini. Some authorities claim that the 13 year form of each species should be a species in its own rite, in this case they are named; Magicicada tredecim, Magicicada tredecassini and Magicicada tredecula. Of the three species (called Decim, Cassini and Decula for short) Decim is the most common in the north of their range, Decula is rare all over and Cassini is most common around the Mississippi valley.

The common names for cicadas vary widely around the world. In Australia, children were the first to coin the common name for many cicadas - names that have been dutifully passed down from generation to generation of cicada hunters.

Probably the best known and most mysterious is the Black Prince (Psaltoda plaga) followed closely by the Green Grocer (Cyclochila australasiae). Other popular names include the Double Drummer (Thopha saccata), Redeye (Psaltoda moerens), Floury Baker (Abricta curvicosta) and Cherrynose (Macrotristria angularis).

Two other common names becoming more widely accepted are Hairy Cicada (Tettigarcta tomentosa and T. crinita) and Bladder Cicada (Cystosoma saundersi). The exact origin of most of these names is unclear, but also the Yellow Monday and Green Grocer were in popular.

Peace
    Thanks!
    Cicadas are lovely bugs, very impressive. We had a year not too long ago when a bunch were around. We have Cicada killer bees that try to keep them in toe. The females sting and paralyze them then travel, very difficult because they are bigger and heavier then they are. They put them in a hole and lay eggs on them.
    Insects creepy but fascinating. I just hope human size ones never land here from space, we would be in big trouble!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I don't mind bugs but these guys make you jump ... they drop from trees and land on you (usually in your hair) and then you have to try and pull them out. They are about 3cm long

At night you can hear them banging into the windows as they try to fly towards the light.

www.the-
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    chime wrote:
    I don't mind bugs but these guys make you jump ... they drop from trees and land on you (usually in your hair) and then you have to try and pull them out. They are about 3cm long

At night you can hear them banging into the windows as they try to fly towards the light.

www.the-
    Junebug03.jpg
    Thats like our June Bugs. They are everywhere and very clutzy! If they tip over they can't right themselves up. They get hit by the ceiling fans and become projectiles! And get caught up in my hair or land in my drink. :shock:
    Good thing for us they only last about a month.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    pandora wrote:
    chime wrote:

www.the-
    Junebug03.jpg
    Thats like our June Bugs. They are everywhere and very clutzy! If they tip over they can't right themselves up. They get hit by the ceiling fans and become projectiles! And get caught up in my hair or land in my drink. :shock:

They're probably related ;) ... we call ours May Bugs :lol: (think the official name is cockchafers)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    chime wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    chime wrote:

www.the-
    Junebug03.jpg

They're probably related ;) ... we call ours May Bugs :lol: (think the official name is cockchafers)
    that is funny, you guys always one up on us :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    pandora wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    My most favorite bug other than that Praying Mantis is the 17 year Cicada. They come out every 17 years, the last time 1n 2004 and before that 1987 and when they do come to life they came make the most hellish mating call ever. It sounds like a 24-7 siren!

http://www.seventeenyearcicada.com/imag ... 50x287.jpg

More on this very unique bug... http://www.seventeenyearcicada.com/

Cicadas facts

Cicadas are members of the Hemiptera, then the Homoptera, the Homoptera is often considered an order in its own rite these days but in some books you will find it designated as a suborder of the Hemiptera. They are then members of the superfamily Cicadoidea, and the Family Cicadidae. There are about 1600 species of Cicada in the world, some of the largest are in the genera Pomponia and Tacua.

Cicadas are mainly warm-temperate to tropical in habitat. There are around 200 species in Australia compared with about 100 species in the Palaearctic and only 1 species in the UK. The British species is Melampsalta montana (was Cicadetta) which is widespread outside of the UK.

Generally speaking cicadas have life cycles that last from one to several years, most of this time is spent as a nymph under the ground feeding on the xylem fluids of plants by piercing their roots and sucking out the fluids. Some species take a very long time to develop and the periodical cicadas of the genus Magicicada of North America are well known because some of them have a 17 cicades year life cycle. Cicades can be found in Tennessee, Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois and other parts of the US like some parts of the Mississippi.

There are 3 species of periodical cicada, each of which has two forms, a 17 year form and a 13 year form; they are Magicicada septendecim, Magicicada septendecula and Magicicada cassini. Some authorities claim that the 13 year form of each species should be a species in its own rite, in this case they are named; Magicicada tredecim, Magicicada tredecassini and Magicicada tredecula. Of the three species (called Decim, Cassini and Decula for short) Decim is the most common in the north of their range, Decula is rare all over and Cassini is most common around the Mississippi valley.

The common names for cicadas vary widely around the world. In Australia, children were the first to coin the common name for many cicadas - names that have been dutifully passed down from generation to generation of cicada hunters.

Probably the best known and most mysterious is the Black Prince (Psaltoda plaga) followed closely by the Green Grocer (Cyclochila australasiae). Other popular names include the Double Drummer (Thopha saccata), Redeye (Psaltoda moerens), Floury Baker (Abricta curvicosta) and Cherrynose (Macrotristria angularis).

Two other common names becoming more widely accepted are Hairy Cicada (Tettigarcta tomentosa and T. crinita) and Bladder Cicada (Cystosoma saundersi). The exact origin of most of these names is unclear, but also the Yellow Monday and Green Grocer were in popular.

Peace
    Thanks!
    Cicadas are lovely bugs, very impressive. We had a year not too long ago when a bunch were around. We have Cicada killer bees that try to keep them in toe. The females sting and paralyze them then travel, very difficult because they are bigger and heavier then they are. They put them in a hole and lay eggs on them.
    Insects creepy but fascinating. I just hope human size ones never land here from space, we would be in big trouble!

Thanks for your info on Cicadas. I hope I'm alive when the next group emerge in the year 2121, I'll have to travel up to MD to see and hear them. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    tybird wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    preyingmantis3_edited-1.jpg

how do they even catch them?

bugs are ugly beautiful.
    Stalk them (no pun intended) in and around flowers and capture them with their forelegs.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Ladybird.jpg
    Known as Ladybirds (UK, Ireland, Australia, Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, India, Malta, parts of Canada), or Ladybugs (North America).
    A common myth is that the number of spots on the insect's back indicates its age, when we know it's the number of children she has ;)
    In parts of Northern Europe, tradition says that a persons wish is granted if a ladybird lands on them. This tradition lives on in North America, where children and some adults :mrgreen: capture a ladybug, make a wish, and then "blow it away" back home to make the wish come true.
  • pandora wrote:
    Ladybird.jpg
    Known as Ladybirds (UK, Ireland, Australia, Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, India, Malta, parts of Canada), or Ladybugs (North America).
    A common myth is that the number of spots on the insect's back indicates its age, when we know it's the number of children she has ;)
    In parts of Northern Europe, tradition says that a persons wish is granted if a ladybird lands on them. This tradition lives on in North America, where children and some adults :mrgreen: capture a ladybug, make a wish, and then "blow it away" back home to make the wish come true.

sweet pic pandi!! love these things, except sometimes in the fall they plague the area...come out in masses...literally by the thousands...stick to the window screens, doors, sides of your house...get inside and finding their way into the light fixtures....dont want to kill them...not only cuz they're cute, but they'll leave a nice red spot in their wake...they cant fly if they get below 55 deg. F so they'll end up being all over the ground after nightfall. They are the State bug in Delaware...same thing happens there sometimes...they come out in masses...except, you cannot get an exterminator to come to your house to take care of them cuz they're the state bug...all u can do is vacuum them up and set the free outside...just for them to come back in!!! did some reading on the topic cuz i was interested...they are actually looking to hibernate for the winter...live underneath siding on your house, in the walls...they can actually live thru the winter off their body fat...the reason they end up dying in the house (you'll find them in between the windows-screens) is because of dehydration...so if u find a stray ladybug inside...give her a glass of water!!!! she'll be revived..and if u can crank the heat up, she may just fly around again!!!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

pandora wrote:
    Ladybird.jpg

sweet pic pandi!! love these things, except sometimes in the fall they plague the area...come out in masses...literally by the thousands...stick to the window screens, doors, sides of your house...get inside and finding their way into the light fixtures....dont want to kill them...not only cuz they're cute, but they'll leave a nice red spot in their wake...they cant fly if they get below 55 deg. F so they'll end up being all over the ground after nightfall. They are the State bug in Delaware...same thing happens there sometimes...they come out in masses...except, you cannot get an exterminator to come to your house to take care of them cuz they're the state bug...all u can do is vacuum them up and set the free outside...just for them to come back in!!! did some reading on the topic cuz i was interested...they are actually looking to hibernate for the winter...live underneath siding on your house, in the walls...they can actually live thru the winter off their body fat...the reason they end up dying in the house (you'll find them in between the windows-screens) is because of dehydration...so if u find a stray ladybug inside...give her a glass of water!!!! she'll be revived..and if u can crank the heat up, she may just fly around again!!!
    cool info love it! thanks
    Funny how the exterminators can't kill cause state bug :lol:
    We don't have many here in GA , in fact I fell for the buy a bag of them for the garden thing. My son says' Mom aren't they just gonna fly away?' hmmmm :?
  • pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Ladybird.jpg

cool info love it! thanks
    Funny how the exterminators can't kill cause state bug :lol:
    We don't have many here in GA , in fact I fell for the buy a bag of them for the garden thing. My son says' Mom aren't they just gonna fly away?' hmmmm :?

funny to think they are actually beetles...which most people cringe at the thought of those crunchy little pests..but because these ones are red and spotted we think they are cute and the name has gone from lady beetle to the more attractive, lady bug...From what i understand, they are actually quite beneficial little bugs..they eat off smaller more peskier bugs that may eat some of your plants...I guess if you researched into what kind of plants they fancy, you may be able to keep them around a little longer...plus, the weather in GA is usually a little warmer (I would assume) than up here in CT so they may actually like it there for longer....Here we can buy caterpillar sets to "grow" them in a mesh like enclosure inside your house until the grow into butterflys when you are supposed to set them free....Im pretty sure u can get ladybug sets too like that...Its an interesting learning process for the kids...ive seen them in the science/kids stores...cool presents for the little ones in your family!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

Daddy-Long-Leg.jpg

Saw my first Daddy Long Legs of the season Saturday
    these being little darlings to me, must have been the 'Honey I shrunk the Kids' movie :D

Pholcids are fragile spiders, the body being 2–10 mm in length with legs which may be up to 50 mm long.

According to the University of California at Riverside, the daddy long-legs spider has never harmed a human and there is no evidence that they are dangerous to humans. It is concluded that it is urban legend that they are the most poisonous spider and that they are unable to inflect a bite effectively.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    I have to take some pictures of the many odd bugs we have out here being up against the everglades. I've seen some of the largest crickets I've ever seen except our dog Snoopy always drives them and others off.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    I have to take some pictures of the many odd bugs we have out here being up against the everglades. I've seen some of the largest crickets I've ever seen except our dog Snoopy always drives them and others off.

Peace
    Yes please share!

In the locust thread I thought that was the cutest locust I'd ever seen. :lol:
    I see a lot of very weird bugs also like a combination...like fly bees and those moths the size of hummingbirds :shock:
    bug2.jpg

Funny bug went for a ride on the hood of the Jaguar this morning.
    He held on tight as we peered at each other through the windshield. He would shift his weight with each turn, stretching his back legs out wide for balance. His red antennae blowing wildly in the wind.
    First stop the bank, we both waited patiently at the drive up teller...7 customers a head of us.
    Then on to Target.
    Exiting the car I told him to stay put, parking lots a dangerous place for a walking bug.
    He did, I was happy to see him on my return.
    Next stop, pick up the Grandoggies then back to the driveway...home at last.
    Quite an adventure for a walking bug. We said our goodbyes and I thought of the approaching winter months.
    If this was his last hoo-ray I'm glad I could oblige and take him on the ride of his life.
    I know we made each others day :D
    n8rJuVERPpCv3yC.jpg:D
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    fireflies.jpg

a1156_2926.fireflies.jpeg

I was just sitting in the grass pulling weeds, and thinking if I was in Kansas, I would have to stand up and bend over to pull these weeds. Because although they don't live here, chiggers are rampant there. On a recent trip with my younger child, I had to tell him to not roll around in the grass to avoid the misery of little buggers. :nono: http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/chiggers

My boys are native Coloradoans and also never saw fireflies, or "lightning bugs" as we called them when I was a kid, until I took them to New York in the summertime. I really miss them. :) We don't have any cicadas here either; I kind of miss them too. ;)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes