top ten "star" guitars you wish you owned

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
edited December 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
here is an article from guitarworld.com. i agree with some of these but there are some i would rather own, such as slash's les paul from appetite for destruction, hetfield's iron cross les paul custom, zakk wylde's bull's eye les paul custom, and one of the red sgs that pete townshend did not destroy.

i could do without rick neilson's 5 neck, because that in my opinion is just a dumb idea, and i can deal without ace frehley's smoking les paul. i am not much for gimmicky guitars...

Top Ten “Star” Guitars You Wish You Owned
By Tony Grossi

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/top_ ... _you_owned

Imagine this...The Guitar Gods appear before you with the following offer: "We will grant you any guitar you desire. What is your choice?"

Sure, images of ’59 ‘bursts and pre-war D-28s might be jumping around in your brain. But why not think really big? Given unlimited financial means—and perhaps the ability to move heaven and earth—why not go after your heroes’ iconic axes?

To make sure you're prepared just in case that day should ever come, Guitar World is pleased to present a list of ten of the coolest, most recognizable and desired instruments on the planet.

1) Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Number One Strat
Vaughan biographer Hugh Gregory called the guitarist’s main ax “the most famous battered Strat in rock history.” It’s also one of the most coveted. SRV’s second most famous guitar, “Lenny,” was sold to Guitar Center at auction for over $600,000, so it’s not hard to imagine Vaughan’s “First Wife” hitting the seven-digit mark. The Strat, originally thought to be a combination of a ’59 body with a ’62 neck, but later said by Stevie Ray’s long-time guitar tech Rene Martinez to be a complete ’62 model, is now in possession of older brother Jimmie. An exact replica produced by the Fender Custom Shop can be had for upwards of $20,000.

2) Jimmy Page’s Double Neck Gibson SG
When oil was found under Springfield Elementary, various Simpsons characters were asked how the school’s newfound surplus could be wisely spent. Otto the bus driver’s suggestion: “One of those guitars that’s like two guitars.” Whether this was a direct reference to Page’s iconic double neck or the rampant “excess-is-best” style of Otto’s beloved 80’s hair metal music, there’s no denying the gimmicky double neck can be a cool instrument to own… so long as it was once played by Jimmy Page.

3) Rick Nielsen’s Hamer Five-Neck
Is it practical? No. Does it play well? Probably not. Would it be the coolest thing to show off to your friends? Totally! Nielsen’s guitars may typically eschew tradition–and even musicality–in favor of theatrics, but sometimes bells and whistles have their place, like when you’re churning out classic power-pop. Hamer’s only made 3 quintuple neck guitars, and Nielsen owns them all. He supposedly tours with no less than 75 instruments. No word on whether his most famous ax counts as one or five.

4) Eric Clapton’s Blackie Strat
Eric Clapton’s most recognizable Stratocaster is actually an amalgamation of three separate instruments bought at the Sho-bud guitar shop in Nashville, Tennessee. Derek & the Dominos made a stop in Music City during their 1970 tour; while there Clapton bought a total of six Strats, giving half to George Harrison, Pete Townshend and Steve Winwood. He used the three best parts of the remaining guitars to construct “Blackie,” which Clapton played from 1973 to 1985. The guitar was sold in 2004 at Christie’s Auction House to raise money for Clapton’s Crossroads Centre for Rehabilitation. The price: $959,500.

5) Eddie Van Halen’s Frankenstrat
Slapped together in 1975 from pieces bought at Wayne Charvel’s guitar shop, Van Halen created one of the most iconic instruments in rock and roll. And he did it for a paltry $130. Originally black and white with a standard Fender trem, the Frankenstrat was given its most famous overhauls in 1979, such as the cut pickguard, the Floyd Rose tremolo unit, and the red, white and black finish. Fender’s Custom Shop recreated 300 perfectly replicated Frankenstrats, going so far as to equip each with 1971 quarters on the body, just like Eddie’s.

6) Ace Frehely’s Smoking Les Paul
It’s fitting that the original guitarist for the “hottest band in the world” would have, literally, the hottest guitar in the world. No serious guitar player would scoff at a custom three-pickup cherry burst Les Paul. But one that billows smoke is like a steak dinner… with a side of steak. Space Ace claims it was while touring in Canada with KISS that he came across some smoke bombs and got the idea of lighting them in the casing of his Les Paul. But Frehley would likely advise against this practice amongst amateur guitarists. “I did that for three or four shows before the bombs screwed up all the volume controls.” Best to leave fire in the hands of professionals.

7) Dimebag Darrell’s ML Dean
Few guitars in the metal world are as instantly recognizable as the late Darrell Abbott’s lightning-bolt Dean. Today Dean makes no less than 33 variants of Dime’s signature model. The original, a nondescript, maroon ML Dimebag won at a guitar-playing contest, was sold by Abbott when he was 16. It made its way into the hands of Buddy Blaze, Dime’s friend, who gave the Dean its now iconic blue lighting paint job. Sometime later, Blaze returned the Dean in exchange for a Flying V, and from then on the guitar became the feature staple of Dime’s setup.

8) Brian May’s Homemade Red Special
Designed and engineered with his father beginning in 1962, May used an eclectic mix of materials to build his Red Special, including a 500 year-old fireplace mantel and spare motorcycle parts. The Red Special took two years to finish, but was worth it for May and fans alike; its signature sound can be heard on every Queen album.

9) Peter Frampton’s Custom Three-Pickup Les Paul
There are live albums, and then there is Frampton Comes Alive. Perhaps most notable on tracks like “Show Me the Way” and “Do You Feel Like We Do?” is Frampton’s trailblazing use of the talk box, but the guitar he used through that talk box is almost equally as celebrated. Thought to be a 1960 Custom LP, the Gibson is actually a 1954 Custom. Prior to Frampton’s acquisition, the instrument was given an overhaul at the Gibson factory, where it was repainted, refretted, and given the signature three pickups. Sadly, the biggest bank account in the world won’t grant you access to this Custom gem; it was lost in 1980 on a cargo plane that crashed in Venezuela.

10) Jimi Hendrix’s 1968 Stratocaster
There’s nothing particularly remarkable about this guitar, other than it was played at the Woodstock music festival in 1969… by Jimi Hendrix. Sure, it's an excellent Sixties Strat, but the true joy of owning this guitar would come from seeing the look on your friends' faces when you exclaim: “Dude...it’s Hendrix’s guitar!” The instrument now resides at the Experience Music Project in Seattle

does anyone agree with this list or are there other guitars you would rather have?

james-hetfield.jpg
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xsmytxxsmytx Posts: 162
    Kinda off topic but has anyone ever seen Ace Frehely’s red guitar that is a weird ass shape and has what looks like a speaker attached to the body, hanging down below the body? I cant figure out wtf it is! I've never seen anything like it.
  • Mike McCready's Strat (Road Worn)

David Gilmour Black Fender Strat

Slash's Les Paul

EV's green tele
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    edited September 2010
    yes i forgot to add mike's strat, and the flying v that randy rhoads owned...

Randy%20Rhoades%20Flying%20V%20Guitar_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on

• I'd put an Angus Young Gibson SG on the list. One of Dave Grohl's Explorers. And Ed's P-90 SG, his Schecter PT, and Stone's Goldtop LP.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Honestly, I love BB King's guitar.
    Either Mike McCready's strat or John Mayer's.
    John Mayer's acoustic (any one of them, I love the tone and the bright sound).

Stone's Fishman Strat
    Jeff's 12-string Bass
    Kurt Cobain's Mustang from the Paris show in 1994 (before he broke it on "Drain You")

*Honorable Mention: Any of Prince's "phalic" guitars*
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • maybe we should start adding pics to some of these?

i would like to add noel gallagher's union jack epiphone sheraton...that is one awesome lookin guitar...

noel_maineroad.jpg

i would like to add noel gallagher's union jack epiphone sheraton...that is one awesome lookin guitar...

noel_maineroad.jpg
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Union-Jack ... 35ac93cd20

In case you're interested...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

noel_maineroad.jpg
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Union-Jack ... 35ac93cd20

In case you're interested...
    MAN is that tempting...i need another guitar like i need a hole in my head....i'll keep an eye on it, but i am sure it will end up over a grand by the time it is over, those things are rare, and i should have bought the one i was looking at when they first came out in the late '90s...thanks for the link, but if money were no object like in the article i would take the real with the trapeze bridge in the pic...did you know his girlfriend at the time had it painted like that? i think it was a burst of some sort initially, or maybe it was red? i don't remember the exact details...

• I didn't know that! They're cool guitars, I too wish I bought one years ago...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I didn't know that! They're cool guitars, I too wish I bought one years ago...
    yeah it sure would beat paying $2000 for a gibson dot 335...

• Most of the really cool guitars were already mentioned, but my list would certainly include Neil's Old Black! That guitar is a monster. Didn't Gibson produce a replica of it a few years back? I did a google search for it a while ago but couldn't find anything. Well, I might be wrong though.
    Anyway, my first choice would probably be Mike's beat up `59 strat, because that instrument produced some of my favourite sounds in the world.
  • Most of the really cool guitars were already mentioned, but my list would certainly include Neil's Old Black! That guitar is a monster. Didn't Gibson produce a replica of it a few years back? I did a google search for it a while ago but couldn't find anything. Well, I might be wrong though.
    Anyway, my first choice would probably be Mike's beat up `59 strat, because that instrument produced some of my favourite sounds in the world.
    couldn't agree more.

i think gibson did reissue that Old Black at one point. i think i saw a promo for it a long time ago.

• meh...who needs a 5 necked guitar or one that blows smoke. Personally Id put David Gilmours Black Strat at the very top of my list. Classic look not flashy/showy and a legendary tone that stands out...
  • Mike Ness's LP Goldtop with the roadrunner on it

McCready's '59 beat to Hell Strat

Stone's Pink Jaguar

McCready's '59 Les Paul 'burst

Izzy Stradlin's 3 PU '59 LP Custom

Ed's sparkle tele with the P90 in it

Izzy Stradlin's '67 3TS Fender Telecaster Custom

Stone's Goldtop LP Deluxe seen in the Hunger Strike video

that's it.....................
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    couldn't agree more.

i think gibson did reissue that Old Black at one point. i think i saw a promo for it a long time ago.

It sure would be great to own one of those. Would be interesting to know if they even recreated the broken pickup. I think that's a major part of its sound.
  • i couldnt find anything on if gibson reissued or produced one for people to buy, but there are some guys that do the reproduction. i lost the links before i could post them though...

here are a few pics of ol' black

Neil.jpg

battered%20old%20black.jpg

• You know you want that Sheraton...
  • You know you want that Sheraton...
    actually yeah i do, but i can't swing it and i don't really need it...

• i couldnt find anything on if gibson reissued or produced one for people to buy, but there are some guys that do the reproduction. i lost the links before i could post them though...

http://www.pisotones.com/Alfonso/OldBlack/OldBlack_En.htm

This is one that I came across. Really a replica that deserves to be called a replica.

This is one that I came across. Really a replica that deserves to be called a replica.
    wow, that is just awesome.

That is freaking awesome.
  • Trey Anastasio's custom built Langudoc guitar....Languedoc has started making ones for the public but they are quite pricey...its based on the old Fender Starcaster, maybe Fender will start making those again

http://www.languedocguitars.com/guitars/g2.php
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Chuck Berry's ES-330/ES-335....
    Springstein's Broadcaster
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • while i'm at it i think i would take caleb followill's walnut gibson hollow body with the mini humbuckers in it...that is pretty much his trademark guitar and is the only one i have seen him play the last 3 times i have seen them, aside from his acoustic for "fans"...

kings_of_leon_flip.jpg

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I didn't know that! They're cool guitars, I too wish I bought one years ago...
    yeah it sure would beat paying $2000 for a gibson dot 335...

not after playing the 335. i'd have said the same thing after owning multiple sheratons and epi dots but an actual 335 is on a different planet. that being said; the union jack epi is awesome as are all things noel-related.
    ryan adams's peanut.
    ra.jpg
    while i'm at it i think i would take caleb followill's walnut gibson hollow body with the mini humbuckers in it...that is pretty much his trademark guitar and is the only one i have seen him play the last 3 times i have seen them, aside from his acoustic for "fans"...

kings_of_leon_flip.jpg

sadly i think he smashed that one in the midst of a backstage tantrum recently. but gibson to the rescue evidently.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/P ... -Leon-914/
  • exhausted wrote:
    ryan adams's peanut.
    ra.jpg
    Ryan is a god in general.. And that's a gorgeous guitar.
  • exhausted wrote:
    while i'm at it i think i would take caleb followill's walnut gibson hollow body with the mini humbuckers in it...that is pretty much his trademark guitar and is the only one i have seen him play the last 3 times i have seen them, aside from his acoustic for "fans"...

kings_of_leon_flip.jpg

sadly i think he smashed that one in the midst of a backstage tantrum recently. but gibson to the rescue evidently.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/P ... -Leon-914/
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

i hate when people smash their shit...it is so cliche anymore it doesn't mean anything other than the guy has an anger issue...

lol....i guess i would not take it now since it has been pretty much rebuilt....

i never understood breaking your guitar because you are pissed at the sound guy...but i guess if you have the money and don't care about resale value, smash away...

• I think smashing guitars is:
    A) A waste... Every time a rockstar smashes his guitar, there are a shitload of kids that would kill for that guitar...
    B) Someone put a lot of effort into making those, smashing it, just spitting in that guy (or girls) face...