Options

Are we still at war?

know1know1 Posts: 6,762
edited September 2010 in A Moving Train
I might have heard this wrong, but I thought I heard on the radio this morning that this has been the deadliest year for American troops fighting in Afghanistan in 9 years.

As little coverage as the war gets these days, I almost thought we weren't fighting anymore. Seems like we used to hear about every single soldiers' deaths.
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    oh ... you're still at war alright
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    know1 wrote:
    I might have heard this wrong, but I thought I heard on the radio this morning that this has been the deadliest year for American troops fighting in Afghanistan in 9 years.

As little coverage as the war gets these days, I almost thought we weren't fighting anymore. Seems like we used to hear about every single soldiers' deaths.

That was the Iraq War we use to hear about all the time because it was considered unjust, but I'm not sure the media ever really got into the Afghanistan war because there was no angle for them and that's all the media is really about, they never really cared about the troops, just selling an angle.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

can it really be called a war tho?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    know1 wrote:

dancing with the stars is back on, we can't be bothered to hear about any stinkin' war anymore...

:roll:

unfortunately this might be a prevailing opinion since the front page of every news site i went to this morning had a summary of dancing with the "stars" on their front page....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    marcos wrote:
    know1 wrote:

That was the Iraq War we use to hear about all the time because it was considered unjust, but I'm not sure the media ever really got into the Afghanistan war because there was no angle for them and that's all the media is really about, they never really cared about the troops, just selling an angle.

So they only covered each soldier's death because the war was perceived as unjust. But in a so-called "just" war, the soldiers' deaths aren't really reported?

• Options
    dancing with the stars is back on, we can't be bothered to hear about any stinkin' war anymore...

:roll:

unfortunately this might be a prevailing opinion since the front page of every news site i went to this morning had a summary of dancing with the "stars" on their front page....

My suspicion is that it has more to do with a political agenda and who's sitting on the throne...er current president than just v. unjust.

All I remember is "get them home" yet we have the deadliest year and you can hear the crickets.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:

can it really be called a war tho?

hardly... but that was just a basic answer to the question...in that the bombs are still dropping
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    hardly... but that was just a basic answer to the question...in that the bombs are still dropping

ya ... sadly true ...
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    know1 wrote:
    marcos wrote:
    know1 wrote:

So they only covered each soldier's death because the war was perceived as unjust. But in a so-called "just" war, the soldiers' deaths aren't really reported?

Nah, I'm not certain any wars are just anymore but I think my point was that I'm not so sure the media cares about soldiers that much and cares more about their ratings and the Afghanistan war is not a hot topic for them as the Iraq war was because it was more obvious that it was ridiculous, though many soldiers feel they did a good thing over there which they also fail to cover. I think the Afghanistan war should be on TV every day every hour as all soldiers lives are vital, perhaps the president needs that kind of preasure although I expect he will keep to his schedule as he did with Iraq. But why not bring everyone home tonight? (I know it's more complicated)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    know1 wrote:
    My suspicion is that it has more to do with a political agenda and who's sitting on the throne...er current president than just v. unjust.

All I remember is "get them home" yet we have the deadliest year and you can hear the crickets.
    I would agree that most politicians would like to avoid discussing the war, especially since so many have flip-flopped and both parties have been in power during troop build-ups. The media requires catalysts to help promote stories and without political participation it has led to a decrease in coverage, at least in the forum of political debate.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    both parties support war, that's why there is little democracy in america. on election day i can vote for a militant capitalist. that's the extent of my participation.

the reason they don't show you war on tv is because nobody would support it if they saw what really goes on. if htey showed a list of the dead civilians in afghansitan, like they did with americans who died in 9/11, if they ran stories to humanize the numbers, war would be much less accepted.

but media serves the state, even fox news regarding an obama run government, they're all really good sheep.
  • Options
    Yes, we are still at 'war'

Soldiers are dying, and families are crying.....

What is the 'purpose' of this 'war'?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    Yes, we are still at 'war'

Soldiers are dying, and families are crying.....

What is the 'purpose' of this 'war'?

soldiers volunteer for the military with the possibility of war. the million innocent people who died had nothing to with it.

I just don't like it when soldiers lives are always put above the truly innocent who are dying.
  • Options
    they keep saying obama ended combat operations in iraq recently but i thought that was the whole point to 'mission accomplished' when bush announced the end of....combat operations! so when did we resume them for obama to end them a second time?? :problem:

as far as i know obama only 'ended' combated operations in iraq (just don't tell that to the 50,000 troops staying and the more than doubling of mercenaries) and not afghanistan. when he took the nobel peace prize he called afghanistan a "war of necessity"
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'