Flavoring Food...

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I know usually its salt pepper and assorted spices....but thats to open for me.
I love to cook, and i always try new things.
I always work with the usual suspects like Garlic, S&P, Basil, Oregano etc..

But like Chicken, I need some cleaver ways to cook it or flavor it besides bread it.

Not sure where I am going with this thread but I hope it takes on a discussion to give me some ideas. ;)
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Chicken- I will mix a packet of Ranch dressing (the powdered kind) with some parmesan cheese, and some cayenne pepper. Cover chicken in the powder mix (kinda like breading it) and bake till juices run clear. Yum!

same thing can be done with a packet of french onion soup mix...add bread crumbs (or smashed Ritz crackers)to the mix if you want it a little crispy. For more crunch you can smash up corn flakes or plain potato chips.

Thrilla will have some ideas too

:D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if you are seeking flavour ... eat dark meat and not the white meat ... common herbs that go well with chicken is thyme ...

chicken is very versatile too ... off the top of my head, here are some things i do with it,

* curry chicken
    * stewed chicken
    * beer can chicken
    * make tacos (pulled chicken meat)
    * roasted chicken
    * butterflied on the bbq
  • 4and20 wrote:
    Chicken- I will mix a packet of Ranch dressing (the powdered kind) with some parmesan cheese, and some cayenne pepper. Cover chicken in the powder mix (kinda like breading it) and bake till juices run clear. Yum!

same thing can be done with a packet of french onion soup mix...add bread crumbs (or smashed Ritz crackers)to the mix if you want it a little crispy. For more crunch you can smash up corn flakes or plain potato chips.

Thrilla will have some ideas too

:D
    Sounds good but many of those packets have a huge amount of sodium in them. I try to keep that number low.

Never used powdered ranch dressing. I will try it.

Anyone know the best seasonings for chicken? I figure Garlic is best for everything! :D
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    if you are seeking flavour ... eat dark meat and not the white meat ... common herbs that go well with chicken is thyme ...

chicken is very versatile too ... off the top of my head, here are some things i do with it,

* curry chicken
    * stewed chicken
    * beer can chicken
    * make tacos (pulled chicken meat)
    * roasted chicken
    * butterflied on the bbq

Nice! thanks...I assume Beer can is cooking it in beer?
    And Stewed is making a stew?
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    here is a favorite website of mine:

www.AllRecipes.com

Click on the 'ingredients' tab at the top and you can choose what you want or don't want in a dish and it will find those recipes. Most of the dishes list calories, fat, sodium etc...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

beer can chicken is cooking the bird on a beer can using indirect heat on the bbq ... and yes, stewed chicken (which is popular in the carribbean) is great with some rice and beans ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    beer can chicken is good. the two biggest keys are A don't over cook it, and B use a dark heavy beer that contains lots of flavor (unlike miller lite)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_x wrote:

beer can chicken is cooking the bird on a beer can using indirect heat on the bbq ... and yes, stewed chicken (which is popular in the carribbean) is great with some rice and beans ...
    Do yo have a good Stewed recipe?
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • 4and20 wrote:
    here is a favorite website of mine:

http://www.AllRecipes.com

Click on the 'ingredients' tab at the top and you can choose what you want or don't want in a dish and it will find those recipes. Most of the dishes list calories, fat, sodium etc...

Fantastic! 8-)
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.

i don't generally follow recipes ... you can go online and find a bunch but they are all gonna work the same way ...

* first you brown the meat in a pan (up to you whether you want to add a rub or a marinade before this) ...
    * set meat aside ... deglaze pan with some liquid (could be wine, stock, whatever)
    * add your aromatics ... usually a mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion) ... throw in whatever vegetables you like
    * add some herbs and spices (i like throwing a bay leaf)
    * put it all together in a dutch oven and top with liquid (generally stock or canned tomatoes or both) and cook low and slow (i'll do 250°F for like 2+ hrs)
    * i always use bone-in chicken and by the end ... it should be fall off the bone and the chicken should have lots of flavour ...

again ... i generally only use dark meat as it's way more flavourful ... i wouldn't stew white meat ...
  • polaris_x wrote:

i don't generally follow recipes ... you can go online and find a bunch but they are all gonna work the same way ...

* first you brown the meat in a pan (up to you whether you want to add a rub or a marinade before this) ...
    * set meat aside ... deglaze pan with some liquid (could be wine, stock, whatever)
    * add your aromatics ... usually a mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion) ... throw in whatever vegetables you like
    * add some herbs and spices (i like throwing a bay leaf)
    * put it all together in a dutch oven and top with liquid (generally stock or canned tomatoes or both) and cook low and slow (i'll do 250°F for like 2+ hrs)
    * i always use bone-in chicken and by the end ... it should be fall off the bone and the chicken should have lots of flavour ...

again ... i generally only use dark meat as it's way more flavourful ... i wouldn't stew white meat ...

"Dutch Oven" :lol::lol::lol:

Great thanks! Awesome website I was just printing out some good ones.
    My wife doesnt like to cook so I do it bc its fun to me. Plus she can burn water :o
    Thanks again.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    "Dutch Oven" :lol::lol::lol:

Great thanks! Awesome website I was just printing out some good ones.
    My wife doesnt like to cook so I do it bc its fun to me. Plus she can burn water :o
    Thanks again.

8-)

good luck! ... don't be afraid to fuck up ... it's part of the fun ...
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I use this site for recipes ... like the previous site posted you can search by ingredient

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?