saving money for a 'rainy day'

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
why? why do we need money on a rainy day? surely if you're saving money it would be better spent on a sunny day... is there a reason for this phrase?
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    testing out new material dunk?
    www.myspace.com
  • testing out new material dunk?

seinfeld 15 years ago
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    rainy day = when times are tough
    wish I had ;)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

nah... seriously wondering where that phrase comes from?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.

seinfeld 15 years ago

that would still be 15 years newer than yours.
  • dunkman wrote:

Wow, the one phrase Scotland didn't invent...
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2010
    dunkman wrote:

Like pandora said.. Rainy days presumably mean tough/gloomy/not-so-good times. When you're saving for a rainy day, you're saving for a moment you migt suddenly need money, in case your financial situation gets worse etc.

Saving for a rainy day, I guess, is then different kind of saving compared to "sunny day" saving (when saving for a holiday or some sort). :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Back in the old timey days umbrellas were at a premium so you see....Boooo....never mind.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

pandora wrote:
    wish I had ;)

is that all it is?

i love the origins of phrases like... the upper crust... over the threshold.... off the wagon... but never knew what the rainy day one was for.
    dunkman wrote:

we dont have rain here. :shifty:
    dunkman wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    wish I had ;)

is that all it is?

i love the origins of phrases like... the upper crust... over the threshold.... off the wagon... but never knew what the rainy day one was for.
    and I like "don't take any wooden nickels" :D
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i did a quick search and came up with farmer hands weren't paid on rainy days (couldn't work in the rain), so you better save a bit for those days.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Having a rainy year here...wish I saved enough for it ahead of time! But the sun's bound to come out again...in 2011.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Having a rainy year here...wish I saved enough for it ahead of time! But the sun's bound to come out again...in 2011.
    you deserve the sunniest of days, feel better soon!sunny.gif
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Speaking of old sayings
    I like the origins of these 2:

People used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to save all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor"..

But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn’t even afford to buy a pot they "Didn’t have a pot to piss in" & were the lowest of the low.

;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Ha brilliant!
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    dunkman wrote:
    why? why do we need money on a rainy day? surely if you're saving money it would be better spent on a sunny day... is there a reason for this phrase?

It's just a phrase, don't read too much into it.

But...we all have emergencies of some degree or another that come up for which it is always better to have a reserve of cash to deal with them.

I save for rainy and sunny days. I have budget categories for home maintenance as well as entertainment and vacations. I use the accumulating balances of those to pay in cash when needed.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

we dont have rain here. :shifty:

OH NO!! You have become delusional!!