What one guitar pedal would best give a PJ sound???

Does anyone have any advice on a distortion/overdrive pedal that would best give a good PJ sound??
Toronto - 1996, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 1 & 2.
Buffalo - 2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Does anyone have any advice on a distortion/overdrive pedal that would best give a good PJ sound??
    i have not found one pedal that gives me the pearl jam sound. what era are you going for? early 90's? riot act era? current? their guitar tone has changed significantly over the years. their sound is more based on their amps that they use. what kind of amp do you have? i am sure once we know what your amp is capable of we can suggest some pedals for ya.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • beauty....
    I play a les paul classic through a fender princeton 112 plus and an american telecaster......I do have a Boss Turbo Distortion from my days playing in hardcore bands but i think it is a bit hot...
    thanks
    Toronto - 1996, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 1 & 2.
    Buffalo - 2010
  • beauty....
    I play a les paul classic through a fender princeton 112 plus and an american telecaster......I do have a Boss Turbo Distortion from my days playing in hardcore bands but i think it is a bit hot...
    thanks
    there are a ton of good ones on the market but i would look into the "box of rock" by zvex. it is basically an old marshall jmp in a pedal and it has a clean boost for solos. that is what i use and i can nail stone's tone pretty well....i guess it helps that i have a vintage marshall and a matchless clubman for cleans.

many on here would recommend a tube screamer. you should also look into anything by fulltone. great pedals there too.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Classic PJ tone, you can't beat the Marshall Guv'nor GV2 reissue. NAILS the "TEN" tone...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    Classic PJ tone, you can't beat the Marshall Guv'nor GV2 reissue. NAILS the "TEN" tone...
    this!

if you want mikes tone get a tubescreamer TS9

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Pappas wrote:
    Classic PJ tone, you can't beat the Marshall Guv'nor GV2 reissue. NAILS the "TEN" tone...
    this!

if you want mikes tone get a tubescreamer TS9
    I wasn't impressed with this. I think it's almost needed to have a tube amp and if you don't, it doesn't nail it head on...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • The Tubescreamer is useless with anything other than a good tube amp.

However, it is the pedal that made the sound. The SD-9 is also up there in PJ tone importance, but again, with a good tube amp.

If you've got solid-state, I'd stick with something like the Guvnor, or maybe a ProCo Rat.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I have an old TS-9 that I play through a 1970 Fender Twin . The tone is great for most PJ songs .
    "I'll do this one myself."